It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks blocks Ethiopia from trademarking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It appears that Starbucks is really more interested in their profits then truly supporting the coffee growers themelves. Please see the following article..

english.aljazeera.net...

If one wonders why corporate greed and why third world countries resent American corporations so much, one merely needs to look at thier Starbucks cup.

The coffee growers are trying to get woven into the market with beans grown in their own country, and Starbucks is agasint it.

No more Starbucks for me.

Peace

[edit on 28-10-2006 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You know , you go out of your way to try and buy from these Organic Fair trade organizations or just to buy certain coffees to try and help what little you can , and these big companies end up reaming these poor people. I hate that. I buy my beans from a roaster in North Carolina and they fresh roast and ship the next day. They do not charge the ridiculous amounts that Starbucks does and the coffee beans are roasted the day before they ship. Nothing like it. I bought a commercial grinder and commercial coffee maker. I won't spend 4.00 on a cup of coffee when you can get it for 6.00 a lb. and make a bunch of cups that taste even better.

www.kaldi.com

Starbucks is a ripoff anyway.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yep i have been hearing this also, There is alot of pressure being put on Starbucks at the moment to change what they are doing,

I'm sure they will have to change something, there is a big company with a reputation, and in this new day and age fair trade is something that many off us want,.

Hopefully the customer will get what they want, for me thats fair trade, i just like to know if I'm buying a coffee that someone is being paid properly to pick it,

[edit on 28-10-2006 by asala]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
One question. . .is starbucks using Ethiopia coffee beans? that is why I am confused about.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One question. . .is starbucks using Ethiopia coffee beans? that is why I am confused about.

They use all types of beans. Sumatran, Columbian, Brazilian. You can see on their specials menu sometimes they make those specialty coffees. I guess if Ethiopia can trademark the name then Starbucks would have to pay a premium to use it.

Pie

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I can't understand why anyone would buy from Starbucks. $5 for a cup of coffee versus $0.50 at the deli next door?

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am a starbucks junkey.

I can not live without their toffe nut and now the pumkin spice, I get a lot of freebes.

But I find very wrong what they are trying to do.

But we all know how our capitalistic system works is all or nothing and screw the littler man.

top topics

join