It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS GAME ON !

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I've found that these kinds of long delays make the game far less enjoyable for me. I have also found that the frustration of getting 97 of 100 referrals and then being stuck on the last three for days on end makes this anything but a game. More like a mirror into the futility that is our lives.

losers. we're all losers.

well, not jbird. he quotes me so he must be somewhat cool. or insane, which is kinda cool, I guess.

Yeah sanity is in short supply at times.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I thought I felt my ears itching.

Figured I'd better check into the ward.

: Originally posted by Crakeur:
...well, not jbird. he quotes me so he must be somewhat cool. or insane...

What?, can't I be cool and insane......and pretty?

Maybe including a Demo on the game page , after the first round,
would be a 'hook', to getting and keeping outside players.

Would it not be beneficial to include the [ how.html ] and/or [ where.html ], so at least visitors have a clue how to play.

Unless the games been designed to turn away all but the truely determined, somewhat intelligent type of player,
-Or
Is mainly in place, solely for getting referrals,
I'm missing the draw for a visitor, arriving to a mostly dark screen, with no obvious direction, and an answer procedure that is not easily grokked.

Of course, ideally, you want them to visit the Game thread and catch up, to get the jist of how to play, but can we really expect that, when even members are sometimes remiss?

On the bright side I got my shopping done early and
found a nice stainless steel Poking stick.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
On referrals... I'm probably the only one that's still confused, but...

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret.com
A single IP counts as one referral, regardless of how many different domains it came from.

OK. I get this... Once the eye sees my IP, it doesn't count as a referral ever again, no matter what domain it comes from.

A domain is not counted in the referrals until an IP unique to the domain(s) has been noticed.

I'm not sure what that means

In addition, is the 'domain' the domain of your ISP, or the domain of the site where the link to this silly game is posted

Since we are woefully stuck in a quagmire of 97 referrals, can someone give a real-world example of what a unique referral is?

Tried... whatarereferrals.html (no love)

- Woop

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Double post... itchy finger

[edit on 8-12-2006 by Zarniwoop]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
Since we are woefully stuck in a quagmire of 97 referrals, can someone give a real-world example of what a unique referral is?

Someone who has never visited the game site, clicking through to the game site from a domain that has never previously linked to it.

Again, the point of this is to increase the value of the domain name prize by having a very high Google page rank from all the inbound links.

Given the slower-than-expected link-building, we may restart the game this weekend and remove all future linking requirements so that we can complete this game.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

Someone who has never visited the game site, clicking through to the game site from a domain that has never previously linked to it.

Again, the point of this is to increase the value of the domain name prize by having a very high Google page rank from all the inbound links.

Given the slower-than-expected link-building, we may restart the game this weekend and remove all future linking requirements so that we can complete this game.

okay... so the answer can only be given by someone who has never been to the site before? ... so someone has to act as an informant or something?

I agree this part is somewhat confusing... can someone elaborate a bit?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Given the slower-than-expected link-building, we may restart the game this weekend and remove all future linking requirements so that we can
complete
this game.

I think Crakeur's right, we're such losers, they just want to get us outta here and lock up .

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
okay... so the answer can only be given by someone who has never been to the site before? ... so someone has to act as an informant or something?

I agree this part is somewhat confusing... can someone elaborate a bit?

Not the answer ... you just basically need to get the desired number of people to CLICK on the link (with the further condition being that each web domain will only count once ... so in other words if two people clicked on the link "http://alltheconspiracies.com" from a myspace page, only one would count). It has nothing to do with actually answering ... you are basically just trying to drum up web traffic for the site, which in turn, increases the value of the eventual prize (the domain).

This is my take ... I think it's correct.

On that note I can't believe that we didn't hit the number of referrals ... I spread the link around to so many obscure guitar and home recording domains that we should be at 150 by now

You can't make people click a link I guess ...

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Just seems logical, though,

if you can get the visitors 'past the front door' ,

they might in turn create more 'buzz' about the site ,

thus increasing referrals.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
now I'm supposing that no one really knows the number we need...

and I'm guessing ONCE the referal number is hit the next clue will come up.. ? ..

cuz I really don't know what I need more of... even though I have failed.. lol

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Thanks

This would be most cool also

Have a good weekend in any case!

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

This must be the longest phase of the game.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
that reflection of the image above is almost evil .... lol

what looks like a mechanical eye, ontop of a pyra-mid with an eye in it..
With TWO towers... yikes.. go symbolism..

another interesting thing about the above image..

the mechanical eye, seems to be composed of two different 'rulers' with a pupil in the middle... (guarding the pupil of the eye?)

[edit on 12/9/2006 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
I'm missing the draw for a visitor, arriving to a mostly dark screen, with no obvious direction, and an answer procedure that is not easily grokked.

Of course, ideally, you want them to visit the Game thread and catch up, to get the jist of how to play, but can we really expect that, when even members are sometimes remiss?

I always post a link to this thread and to the tinwiki answers along with a link to the game.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

the mechanical eye, seems to be composed of two different 'rulers' with a pupil in the middle... (guarding the pupil of the eye?)

What in Haydes are you talking about?

Just goes to show, people will see "signs" where none exist.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

I don't see any signs here.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

oh you hush up.. it LOOKS like that.. I'm not saying it is that... sheesh.. just look for yourself.

oh I forgot the two snakes crawling up the sides..

and the tassles that are somewhat symbolic of 'rays' or 'strings' coming down..

[edit on 12/9/2006 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I take it the powers that be have decided against doing away with the referals then.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It's going to take a little time to remove the referral requirements from the game code.

This should be complete by this evening, then there will be no future referral requirements for this game.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the speedy response.

It's just a shame we were so crap at getting people to click on the referals we posted.

new topics

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join