It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Not Representing Fiscal Conservatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
In the past, being a Republican meant you were in favor of limiting government and governmental spending. Ronald Reagan said it best in his inaugural address, to paraphrase, "big government won't solve our problems, big government is the problem." That simply isn't true of the Bush Administration, with a huge expansion of governmental powers and programs and a debt of over $9 trillion and counting.

money.cnn.com
"There is no rational linkage between what's coming in and what's going out," said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, describing the current fiscal-policy mindset in both the White House and Congress. "There's an adherence to tax cuts and an adherence to increased spending. It just doesn't add up."

Part of the problem in today's Washington, Holtz-Eakin said, "is that the staffs at the White House and in Congress are chiefly campaign staffs."

Independent, straight-talking analysis is no longer valued, and even a lot of the people like him who come to Washington from academia (he'd been a professor at Syracuse) "have gotten sucked into this perpetual campaign mentality ... The culture has shifted to the way you say it rather than what you say."

By the time the next president is nearing the end of a hypothetical eight-year term, the cost of Social Security and Medicare will have forced a fiscal crisis. "I don't see any easy way to get from here to there," he said. "Why would you want to be president in 2008? I don't understand it."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am a fiscal conservative. I have been lost in the shuffle of spending bills arising out of 9/11, the WOT, the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the Medicare Rx Plan, and so on, ad nauseum. Not that these bills haven't been necessary or justified, just that there hasn't been a sufficient revenue stream to support them.

I want the issue of fiscal responsibility to take the forefront in '06 and '08. If it doesn't, I believe we are headed into an economic tailspin of nearly unprecedented proportion. It is probably too late to stave it off completely, but we can mitigate the damage by observing and applying the laws already on the books mandating fiscal responsibility.

Bush, with only one veto of a spending bill to his record, is well on the way to leaving Gore's "iron-clad lock-box of Social Security" full of IOU's (if it wasn't already) that can't be repaid, and our government will default on its debt, causing a world-wide financial collapse and crisis. There must be a way to avoid this calamity, and we must find it, now.

I'm also a social liberal, but that is a topic for another thread.

[edit on 28-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Agreed. They are not representing me, a true Republican, in the following areas:

1. Fiscal conservatism
2. Minimized federal government, protection of state and local powers
3. Protection of the constitution

I'm ready for the real Republicans to come back.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Reponsible stewardship of the federal government from either side of the aisle would be a welcome change from the free for all of the past few years. The American public is literally under assault from several angles by our own government.

The tax cuts have mostly benefited the top 1-5% of the population, while the cost of basic needs like food, energy, housing, and transportation have steadily increased. Add to this the erosion of civil liberties brought on by the Patriot Act, NSA wiretapping, and the rise of the police state, and people are starting to get nervous.

Then, on top of it all, we have every kind of slimy scandal under the sun surfacing in Washington on basically a daily basis, and I think people are going from being suspicious of their neighbor to being suspicious of their elected representation in Washington. Politicians, not the issues, are becoming the focus. That's a good thing for the American public. Maybe not so good for the slimy, corrupt politicians, though. It is high time some changes favoring the people were made in the way business is done in Washington.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Agreed..

They are spending worse than the Democrats...

I agree with many of their policies, but Immigration and Spending is where we part ways...

I have never considered myself a "Fiscal" Conservative, just a Conservative with Conservative values like those expressed by Ronald Reagan...

Semper

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
GW is kinda making the "Minimized federal government" without the "protection of state and local powers" part happen isn't he?

Hes pritty much limiting the govermening power to 1 person, the president, he even said it himself before, he doesn't care what others thing, including house, parlement and judicial branch, what he chooses as law is law.

Guess the definition of what the Conservatives stand for needs to be explained a bit better to this dictatorial loon.

new topics

top topics

join