It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

faith vs. works

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
In the Bible there are many passages discussing faith and works in relation to salvation. Some of the passages stressing faith are:

For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. - Romans 3:28

If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." - Romans 4:2-3

We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. - Galatians 2:15

There are also passages stressing works:

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? -James 2:21

And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. - Revelation 20:12

Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”
So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’” - Mark 10:17-18

What is your opinion about these passages? Do they condradict each other or is there an explanation that reconciles them? One thing I've noticed is that many verses on faith discuss faith vs. "the law". I think this is interesting because it contrasts faith in God with the specific law system of the Jews at that time rather than the broader faith vs. works comparison. Anyway, if anyone would like to share their interpretation feel free.

new topics

join