It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beliefs and Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have created this thread as a sort of research post.

I would like to know what people think about ghosts and other otherworldly activities. What do u think?

Also if you have any ideas on haw I can link ghosts to science?(if they're real or not and any explinations/evidence of actual ghosts would also be greatly apreciated)

How you can help!!!!

[edit on 27-10-2006 by MCR001]

[edit on 27-10-2006 by MCR001]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well, when it comes to Ghosts, it's my belief that what you would
call 'real ghosts', are projections created by the human mind.

Sort of like holograms.

When it comes to other pranormal things, well the majority of it
I consider to be creations and illusions of the mind.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
So say u were grieving over someone ur mind can make u belive that u can see them again?(or rather than ur mind you can make urself)
4 u it is ultimatly phycological? I can understand what u mean as this is what i feel would be the cause of most ghost "sightings".
How ever this doesn't explain them being caught on camera. I feel that photoshop is involved but i get the feeling that some of them may be something more than some sad pplz tryin 2 get on the news.lol.

TY 4 post

how about some other theories?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Sort of like holograms.

Funny should say that because John Hutchinson feels the same way and so do I, but not illusions of the mind but creations of the mind caused by too much Electro Magnetic Energy, Here is a website that explains. Hutchins on Effect

Also here is an exerpt.

Basically, what Hutchison did was cram into a single room a variety of devices which emit electromagnetic fields (such as Tesla coils, van de Graaff generators, RF transmitters, signal generators, etc.). He found that after they had been running for a while, effects began to occur that were identical to what have come to be regarded as poltergeist phenomena. Objects of any material levitated into the air and hovered there, or moved about and then fell; fires started in unlikely places around the building; a mirror smashed at a distance of 80 feet away; metal distorted and broke; water spontaneously swirled in containers; lights appeared in the air and then vanished; metal became white-hot but did not burn any surrounding materials; and so on.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
kewl

ty man ill put that to good use

theory that you cant destroy mater????

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
My personal feelings regarding this issue are that ghosts in the sense that most try to understand do not exist. Throwing in the spritual side of things I do belive that demons may manifest themselves and this is what some people experiance. I also belive that many of the experiances that people claim to see or experiance are a result of explainable anomalies.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
hey, has this happened to any of you. one time i was asleep and my girlfriend woke me up and she asked me what is that . i said i do not know. it looked like a bright glowing object with like these small glowing spikes that came out of it. it move by the t.v and on the wall. all the curtains were closed and it was dark. i said i was going to touch it and it responded to my action of going towards it. it then faded thru the wall. yes, it faded thru the wall. whatever it was it shocked me , scared me.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
i have never actually had anything happen to me(ghost sightin or otherwise) how ever i do feel strongly over the subject of the afterlife/ghost,deamon activity on Earth.

ty 4 posts guys

some more stories would be greatly apreciated.

[edit on 28-10-2006 by MCR001]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Sort of like holograms.

How does believeing that ghosts are projections or holograms of the mind explain how people see the same things totally unbeknownst to each other?

I grew up in a house built before the civil war. My mother still lives in it. I, members of my family, friends, and even total strangers have been here and seen some of the same "apparitions" at times.

Usually it's later that we compare notes and find that we've seen some of the same things. So I know it's not the "power of suggestion" that causes this.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
How does believeing that ghosts are projections or holograms of the mind explain how people see the same things totally unbeknownst to each other?

I grew up in a house built before the civil war. My mother still lives in it. I, members of my family, friends, and even total strangers have been here and seen some of the same "apparitions" at times.

Usually it's later that we compare notes and find that we've seen some of the same things. So I know it's not the "power of suggestion" that causes this.

Did all the individuals know the history of the house?

In such cases I suppose it could be one individual being
slightly telepathic, and unconsciously transmitting the idea
of the 'ghost' to other people.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCR001
Also if you have any ideas on haw I can link ghosts to science?(if they'res. Y real or not and any explinations/evidence of actual ghosts would also be greatly apreciated)

There's a lot of misunderstanding about what science is. Here's what you'd have to do to make a scientific link:

* science measures. You would have to find some measurement (radiation, whatever) that appeared EVERY single time a ghost showed up and did NOT show up when people faked ghosts. The measurement must be done by people who are very familiar with the evidence, and they must be put in situations where they (and the person running the test) don't know if they will encounter a real ghost or a hoax.

* science predicts. Your measurement would have to predict ghosts (determined by some second method) in areas where ghosts haven't been seen.

* science should be objective. These measurements and predictions should work on people who are from other cultures, people who are hardened skeptics, professional debunkers, and should work remotely (when there's no person there). In the hands of a scoffer and skeptic, it should still turn up a ghost (as measured by more than one means) every single time.

* science verifies. You should be able to verify that a person of the appropriate period and age died at the appropriate time in that location. Not a mysterious "dark lady in a dress who appears in a doorway and is supposed to be the housemaid." Verified name, birth, and death records.

That'd be a start.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Also if you have any ideas on haw I can link ghosts to science?(if they're real or not and any explinations/evidence of actual ghosts would also be greatl

How about beginning by looking at human brain waves? The brain functions by
sending electrical signals from one place to another. Electrical charges pass between nerve cells accompanied by changes in electrical potential and in voltage. This can be scientifically measured.

And look at charge conservation:
*Charge conservation is the principal the electric charge is neither created nor destroyed-the quantity of electric charge is always conserved.

And also: E=MC(squared) Energy=Mass x speed of light (squared)
This means that all matter in the universe is in fact energy in a state of existence that we perceive to be solid matter.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Thanks Elaine,
You know how Einstein says that no matter or energy can be destroyed; so that means that the electrical pulse running through your nerve system/brain cannot be completely destroyed - so maybe it is what creates the 'ghost'.

It kind of makes you think about life.
As my signature says - What's after death - and there is probably nothing, so whats the big deal if you die? But maybe your consciousness creates a 'shadow' of yourself that can only be detected by powerful cameras and video cameras and your 'voice' - which is recorded as EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) is your voice, but instead of it being within the human voice frequency range (300-3000Hz) it is on the 'ghost' voice frequency range (0-300Hz) in which ghostly voices have been picked up by powerful recorders.

Funny that.

=P

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You're welcome.

And I also think sometimes what you're calling a "shadow" might be more sentient (aware of itself)or less at times according to the energies around it in it's atmosphere.

top topics

join