It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

romans eaten by dinosaurs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Sigh.

Think people, THINK!

That is why I will love to know the name of the station and search on their programing.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
No, they may have eaten monkeys, similar to humans. The Romans lived in 600 BC to 400AD. The dino's died millions of years ago. It is impossible for them to exist.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Um, sensfan is right.

There has never been a single documented case of a true dinosaur being found with its internal organs intact. let alone frozen. Seeing how they died out 65 million years ago, given continental shifts and climate changes.................. the only thing left of dinosaurs is mineralized bones.

Romans were hellbent on conquering the KNOWN world. They did not conquer siberia because it was far away from even outposts of civilization, and there was nothing there worth conquering that couldnt be gotten elsewhere for much less work.

I still see no sources here. Who are the scientists claiming this?

You people don't realize that if such a find were true, it would be MAJOR news and would send shockwaves through the entire scientific community worldwide. It would not be limited to some local acess channel.

And the Romans made no records of observing or hearing about such creatures. If such things were true, then they would have recorded it.

People seem to forget: the cold is what killed the dinosaurs. The long winter from the meteor strike that is believed to have wiped them out. Dinosaurs would most certainly not be living in siberia. If there are dinosaurs living in the age of man, they would be living in hot dry uninhabited deserts or unexplored jungles. Not the taiga.

Rome doesn't freeze. learn a bit of geography. The alps are a couple hundred miles north of Rome.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well it's interesting to note some of the creatures that did make it into mythology, particuarly dragons, sphinxes, manticores, and what not. Although I'm extremely skeptical of this, perhaps a descendant of the dinosaurs of sorts had been alive at the time but were driven to extinction.

A good topic for a thread. I mean the descriptions of these mythical beasts are so good that you have to believe they existed some time, some place in some way.

But dino's near Rome? Could have been very coarse animals in the hinterlands. Who knows what they were since some areas were not well explored and it was a long time ago. A number of species could have died off in a few thousand years.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Not that the topic poster is lying, I find the program very unfactual. For one thing, a dinosaur would not travel in the artic, unless it had a form of insulation such as fur, which has never been presented in any of the findings by any scientists.

Second, the fact it was reported that the dinosaur still contained human "DNA" (which could mean many things) in its stomach contents as well as "roman" armor would have meant that it died quickly after eating the human, which would also mean either something such as a another dinosaur killed it, the artic killed it (which would seem lmost likely, not considering it shouldn't exist in the artic, roman soldiers did not live in the artic, and only being killed by the cold after a few moments of eating, it should have been able to survive for longer if it did reside in the artic).

Third, Dinosaurs are known to contain digestive stones in their stomachs to help break down foods. If any armor were present, it would have been ruined to the point of being unrecognizable, as well as constantly being submerged in stomach acid.

After a moment of web searching, I found a video that is very similair to what the topic creator might have watched, called "The Great Dinosaur Mystery." It didn't describe any events surrounding a roman soldier being eaten, but it did contain lots of "evidence" of man kind living with dinosaurs, as well as being a religious video. If anyone wants to see it, it's located at the page:

christiananswers.net...

or you can view it in WM player, through:

christiananswers.net...

[edit on 28-10-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
If true, could it prove time travel possible? What if the future people went back, captured a few gladiators, and made then do stadium battle with the Zeta Reticulans, but the galdiators escaped, stole a time machine and took off for the past, but got lost and eneded up in prehistoric rome?

But really, is it worth consiering the possibility that dinosaurs or "dragons" didn't exist in the roman era, but that armor somehow ended up further back in time? An older civilization that produced romanlike armor? The Atlanteans back in the day?

Or maybe a roman soldier died on a glacier, and the armor got spit out at the bottom and just happened to end up laying on or under a fossil right where the stomach should be, and ended up freezing together like that.

Another possibility, which we can see today, the saltwater crocodile can easily swallow a little ancient human armor and all, and they've existed back almost 250m years ago with only a few changes. Could this be what wwas found? How would it get frozen though?

Or maybe it's all just bovine excrement.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Sounds to me like we've answered 2 mysteries: what happened to the lost 9th Legion and what killed the dinsoaurs.

Obvious innit: The Roman 9th Legion travelled back in time to the cretaceous whereupon they set about wiping out the dinosaurs ....... And this latest discovery proves it (the last dinosaur killed the last Roman and then died itself and was frozen in the ice age)

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Dinosaurs eating Roman soldiers? You'd think that there would have been at least a mention of dinosaurs in the New Testament if this were the case.

In fact there is a description of a dinosaur in the Old Testament!

Although the monstrous creature was obviously a vegetarian, its size was overwhelming. Its hips could withstand the enormous force of each pounding step and its midsection was a mass of muscle. Its gigantic tail extended far behind him, not unlike a giant cedar tree swaying behind his body. Its bones were like steel girders with ribs like iron bars to support his enormous weight. This is the greatest creature to roam the swamps and rivers of the earth.
Bible, Job 40:15-24

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I find this story more than plausible.

For starters the Romans rampaged across most of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. They pushed well into modern day Russia where this dinosaur-like creature is said to have been discovered.

If crocodiles could survive the major extinction 65 million years ago why is it supposedly impossible another, much rarer, dinosaur-like creature to have survived elsewhere on Earth for a while? European folklore is rife with stories of dragons, could this be the explaination for the dragon myth? Think about it, dragons are present in folklore ranging from Ireland to China. What modern country links Western Europe to Asia proper? Russia.

Also the theory mentioned here about them living off mammoths makes sense. Science says that the mammoths lived until around 3,500 years ago. I wouldnt want to wage the farm on that being an exact figure. I would not be surprised if mammoths lived on even one or two thousand years passed that date and overlapped with the Romans and this dinosaur-like creature.

Also couple this with the fact that new species of animals are being found all the time. Why is it incomprehensible for this to have been the case? Let's not get too arrogant when it comes to mankind's grasp of the modern World and it's history.

This is more than plausible.

[edit on 28/10/06 by subz]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Is nothing that I would love to see than evidence of dinosours in modern human times.

But we have to understand that this story sounds to me like one of the many tales that fundamentalist christians and creationist believers are using to bring their own version of a younger earth to discredit the old earth scientist believes in order to match their theory of the time line of the bible.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think the fact that this remarkable discovery was annouced to the world via an obscure 3rd rate American TV station watched by 3 people and a coyote tells you all you really need to know ......

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
If true, could it prove time travel possible? What if the future people went back, captured a few gladiators, and made then do stadium battle with the Zeta Reticulans, but the galdiators escaped, stole a time machine and took off for the past, but got lost and eneded up in prehistoric rome?

But really, is it worth consiering the possibility that dinosaurs or "dragons" didn't exist in the roman era, but that armor somehow ended up further back in time? An older civilization that produced romanlike armor? The Atlanteans back in the day?

Or maybe a roman soldier died on a glacier, and the armor got spit out at the bottom and just happened to end up laying on or under a fossil right where the stomach should be, and ended up freezing together like that.

Another possibility, which we can see today, the saltwater crocodile can easily swallow a little ancient human armor and all, and they've existed back almost 250m years ago with only a few changes. Could this be what wwas found? How would it get frozen though?

Or maybe it's all just bovine excrement.

possibly after a nights sleep i dont really remember too much

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sounds like this public access channel got theyre info from Pravda e.e

That or its another one of those young earth christian religious disinfo things, where they claim stuff like finding human footprints next to dinosaur fossils and such.

Either way, I doubt theres much merit to anything related to a dinosaur eating a roman.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Could it be the Sarcosuchus (Giant Croc)? Did the Romans ever reach Austrailia? If so, it could have been a Megalania. These Animals are now extinct but look to the present and we do have some large lizards like Komodo Dragons. Maybe there was a bigger version of the nile monitor out there...I wouldnt want to fight any one of these

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The reason that we've never recovered a dino with intact innards is that it is very unlikely that a dino ever died in a place that was frozen year round. This is for a couple of reasons.

Number 1, setting aside the young earth theory, there was little or no land in the polar regions 65 million years ago. Even antarctica was tropical. Dinosaurs, though there is some evidence that leads to debate over possible warm bloodedness, were without doubt best suited to warm environments.

Number 2, in perenially frozen areas there is a dearth of vegitation, hence a dearth of herbivores, hence a dearth of carnivores. No T-rex in his right mind would just one day start walking in one direction until he ran into nothing but ice for miles.

Also let's keep in mind that even huge carnivores eventually get full. There's no way in hell that even a T-rex could eat a Roman legion. There's a comparative picture here. Even if he chewed them really well, a T-rex could only eat a couple of dozen men on his best day, especially beefy roman soldiers in full armor... unless of course he had a can opener and took the time to boil the meat off of their bones.

Then there's the fact that carnivores basically eat because they are hungry. They don't just run amok on villages or passing armies till everything is gone. My guess is that a Roman legion, if attacked by a T-rex, would have found a way to kill it, then they'd have taken it back to Rome and probably mounted it's head somewhere in the coloseum. If nothing else they'd attack it until it was stuffed then follow it until it laid down for an after dinner nap.

For a number of reasons, I'm just not buying it.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
I think the fact that this remarkable discovery was annouced to the world via an obscure 3rd rate American TV station watched by 3 people and a coyote tells you all you really need to know ......

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
unless of course he had a can opener and took the time to boil the meat off of their bones.

The original spam was Italian food?

Sorry, I couldnt help myself.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I channel with Lumerians that existed on this Earth between 50,000 and 1.4 million years ago. There message to me was they were under constant threat and attacks by terradactyls. The Lumerians channeled saying they transcended 50,000 years ago.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just thought I'd throw this website out and see what your ideas would be as to how these ancient cultures new what these dinosaurs looked like.

ANCIENT DINOSAUR DEPICTIONS

The art below is from an Mesopotamian cylinder seal dated at 3300 BC. (Moortgart, Anton, The Art of Ancient Mesopotamia, 1969, plate 292.) The animal on the right is an artists conception from a skeleton of an Apatasaurus. There are many striking similarities between these two depictions. The legs and feet on the Egyptian art clearly fit the saurapods better than any other type of animal. The biggest difference is at the head. Cartilage forming the shape of a frill or ears may be stylized or accurate (since there is no way to know from the skeletons we have today). As for the musculature, the Egyptian artist draws with stunning realism. One has to ask where the artist got the model to draw so convincingly the trunk of a saurapod?

To the right is a Roman mosaic from about 200 AD that depicts two long-necked sea dragons. Paul Taylor, author of The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible, likens them to the web-footed Tanystropheus shown beside.

There are a bunch of other pictures of artifacts from the Roman time period on this webite that have depictions of dinosaurs, some as good as what these animals are thought to look like today.

[edit on 28/10/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I can't help noticing that the knees on the egyptian carvings appear to be pointing backwards. The backs are also much flatter and the length of necks and tails greatly exagerated, plus a club or stinger like enlargement at the end of the tail.

I hate to be a killjoy but honestly I think the primary similiarity is that they both depict large animals with long necks and tails. Above them in the Mesopotamian rendering you can also see another amalgamted creature with distinctly non avian heads and bodies yet feathered wings: presumably manticores. At the risk of sounding like a little too much of a skeptic, I'd at least want to bear in mind the possibility that those are just interpretations of dragons based on an amalgamation of several creatures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join