It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shi`ah/Shiite vs. Sunni

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Here is a simple question... One that has been bouncing around in my head given the "Cultural Divide"... One that has been being raised more & more in the media given the situation in Iraq:

Do Americans really Know or Understand the difference & the Hatred between Shi`ah/Shiite & Sunni Moslems (both the Domestic Civilians here at home - some being policy makers - AND the American/U.S. Military over there in Iraq)?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Most Americans do not understand, and even if they did, they probably don't care. They are concerned about American troops then about Iraqis killing themselves by the hundreds each day.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

They are concerned about American troops then about Iraqis killing themselves by the hundreds each day.

DeltaBoy - you do realize that there are PLENTY of U.S. Troops still in Iraq don't you? You do realize that they are still SHOOTING at & trying to Blow Up our folks over there do you? We are caught in the middle of a Cultural & Civil War over there!!! How do we have "Victory" in a situation like this - were these two groups have hated each other for HUNDREDS of YEARS?

This is a Quagmire - just like Vietnam as a matter of fact! We are there to Kill Terrorists - BUT our mere PRESENCE there creates MORE TERRORISTS!!! I think that we can "Win" by just simply pulling out (and protecting our own Borders) - it is not our fight if they want to kill each other over there because of Religious differences - we should just let them - I mean lets face it are we really down there because we "Love the Iraqis" or is it because Iraq is Rich in OIL? Maybe the REAL solution to the "War on Terror" is to GET OFF of Foreign Oil & find new sources &
achieve Energy Independence!

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Here is a simple question... One that has been bouncing around in my head given the "Cultural Divide"... One that has been being raised more & more in the media given the situation in Iraq:

Do Americans really Know or Understand the difference & the Hatred between Shi`ah/Shiite & Sunni Moslems (both the Domestic Civilians here at home - some being policy makers - AND the American/U.S. Military over there in Iraq)?

An easy way to put it into context for the average Joe from the states is to describe it like the bitterness between Catholics and Protestants. The circumstances are not that dissimilar. An argument over the correct way to worship God at the end of the day.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

DeltaBoy - you do realize that there are PLENTY of U.S. Troops still in Iraq don't you? You do realize that they are still SHOOTING at & trying to Blow Up our folks over there do you? We are caught in the middle of a Cultural & Civil War over there!!! How do we have "Victory" in a situation like this - were these two groups have hated each other for HUNDREDS of YEARS?

Well I DIDNT KNOW...my mind was on something else I guess. I didn't even know we had troops in Iraq.

This is a Quagmire - just like Vietnam as a matter of fact! We are there to Kill Terrorists - BUT our mere PRESENCE there creates MORE TERRORISTS!!!

Wow, I thought this was about Shiites versus Sunnis. Forget it.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

between Catholics and Protestants. The circumstances are not that dissimilar. An argument over the correct way to worship God at the end of the day.

Yes but do Protestants & Catholics KILL EACH OTHER (well besides that Irish nastiness)?

BTW the Shi'ah/Shiite vs. Sunni main argument is over who is the "True Successor to Mohammed"!

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Well I DIDNT KNOW...my mind was on something else I guess. I didn't even know we had troops in Iraq.

Was that an attempt at Sarcasm DeltaBoy?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Yes but do Protestants & Catholics KILL EACH OTHER (well besides that Irish nastiness)?

BTW the Shi'ah/Shiite vs. Sunni main argument is over who is the "True Successor to Mohammed"!

Yes. They do. and have done for hundreds of years.Ireland being a prime example and you can't dismiss it.

I know what the argument is about, but as a result of the successor disagreement, they have different views on how to worship, hence my comment.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Shorty after Mohammads death there were multiple factions of Muslims. Some wanted one of Mohammads relatives to assume control of the religion. Others had a different candidate in mind.

So those that became the Sunis attacked those who later became the Shia.

It's not exactly been a love fest since then.

top topics

join