It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we stop the insanity???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
...Or at least talk them into arguing in ATS Chat so it doesn't clutter up a thread with permanent text...

Still, I see a bit of irony that, in a thread that asks about stopping insanity, it took Mod Warnings (maybe eventually even a Ban) to stop such highly emotional ranting & raving...
Maybe jaguarmike should look at this thread.

[edit on 28-10-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

I give you props for having a double-edged sword/catch 22 type response- automatically making me the enemy by responsing via your link, and making me look as if I lost by not responding- pretty clever.

Truth is more powerful than any of your games. For your information, the moderator who gave me a warning did it because I said "I hope you get run over by a car this weekend", and the moderator and I are friends. When someone breaks ATS rules there are no exceptions. I was never threatened with a ban. I won this argument. Hooray. Now if you don't mind...

[edit on 29-10-2006 by jaguarmike]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
That was exactly my point: Highly emotional ranting & ravings is what initially led you into making that threat in the first place. Or would you rather that I link back to the thread which got you the warning so that the readers here can see how you were acting before your warning? It would certainly prove my point.
It seems that some people will never learn that, in a text-based forum such as ATS, the only real communication that gets through to the reader is the poster's intellect & rationality.

Some people suffer from a physical imbalance in the way their brains produce the required bio-chemicals for proper, healthy function. Those that can't bring the problem under control (prescribed drugs of various types or therapy) usually wind up in the looney bin. This imbalance of physical health can lead to imbalanced mental health as well, such people get highly emotional; I've met a few like that in my life.

Other similar problems could be entirely psychological, usually suffered by people who don't have a firm grip on reality & may tend to view other people as faceless numbers...Like the average politician sees things. I tend to blame the medium about this, to some extent; It's difficult to really get to really know someone through a mostly-impersonal medium like this.

Some people, mostly the immature type, seem to enjoy congregating amongst their friends & brag about how many Sites they've been banned from...As if it were some kind of "badge of honor". Such behavior only emphasizes their immaturity because forums like this really only communicate intellect & rationality.
Kids, nowadays...I swear...

Either way, a person's emotional state determines how the so-called "expert psychologists" can judge how "sane" a person may be.

Extreme display of emotion leads to threats, threatening people is a sign of emotional imbalance...Insanity.

Which brings us back to the topic of this thread...Since the internet has no "sanity filter" when an IP server signs up a new account, I'd have to say, "No, we can't stop the insanity." However, I would qualify that the T&C's of an individual website & how well the Staff enforces them does at least put a "maximum tolerence level" on the insanity.

BTW, just because someone received a "warning" means that the person so warned is on the path to getting banned. The Staff here won't stop at issuing warnings...There is a threshhold.

So JM...After having explained my opinion in a rational, mature, non-emotional way, I'd like to ask, "How are you feeling today?"

[edit on 30-10-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
As I said earlier, I think this thread ran it's course before it was moved to BTS. I was trying to avoid the wild rantings but it didn't happen that way. I appreciate all the rational responses and certainly have learned that no matter what happens, it would be impossible to stop psychotic or emotional outbursts from those with less discipline.

Again, is it any wonder people with experiences are reluctant to share them? I will just sift through the tripe along with the gold mine of information ATS holds.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
Which brings us back to the topic of this thread...Since the internet has no "sanity filter" when an IP server signs up a new account, I'd have to say, "No, we can't stop the insanity." However, I would qualify that the T&C's of an individual website & how well the Staff enforces them does at least put a "maximum tolerence level" on the insanity.

That was as poignant as it gets. Onward to more meaningful reading! Thanks Dstroyer!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join