It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tories Attack Freedom to Be Informed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Normally I'm quite supportive of the Tories. However there are few things I hate more than attacking the freedom of the press. The BBC did a documentary (which I saw) where they interviewed the Taliban. Big, big crime…
Tory Julian Lewis had demanded a ministerial hearing into the matter (yep he wanted MP’s to decide whether the BBC was keeping the public too informed) (I wonder how they would of voted).

Quote: “Shadow defence secretary Liam Fox said the interview was "obscene" and accused the BBC of broadcasting propaganda on behalf of Britain's enemies.”
Story: news.bbc.co.uk...

Surprising?
Now if anyone should be accusing the BCC of being “obscene” you would have thought it would be the government. After all they are the ones who (rightfully or wrongly) led us into the Afghanistan war. It’s they who are having to deal with the political fact that British troops are being blown up in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

But ironically it was ruling Labour Commons leader Jack Straw who saved the day on this one.
Of course Labour hasn’t prevented ITN being kicked out of Afghanistan (and doesn’t look like it will ether). So they’re no angels (especially as we’ll need to get more of our news from behind Taliban lines or soldiers mobile phones).
But what a way for an opposition to behave?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
In a way, he is right.

The Government has been trying to stop terrorist from using the internet to spread propaganda and now the BBC has kinda gone and helped them. But, of course, BBC would not air anything that would promote terrorism.

Sometimes, i wonder if State controlled Media would be a good thing because it will stop the endless arguements against the BBC.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

In a way, he is right.

The Government has been trying to stop terrorist from using the internet to spread propaganda and now the BBC has kinda gone and helped them. But, of course, BBC would not air anything that would promote terrorism.

Sometimes, i wonder if State controlled Media would be a good thing because it will stop the endless arguements against the BBC.

Yes I think the Minister is right in questioning, the reasons behind the BBC brodcasting this in the first place. I do not want to hear on my television, someone from the Taliban saying that they are going to come to the UK and kill innocent civillians.

Sky News done the exact same btw. Oks yes there should be freedom of the press, to scrutinize the Gov, Wars etc, but to broadcast live into the Public Living Rooms, Lounges Some guy saying on National T.V. they are going to come to your country and kill you all, this is not on.

Should this mean censorship of the Media and the Press. Absolutley not.

Btw, who pays for the BBC?

The British Public not the Government. It should be left up to us to decide, weither we want this sort of veiwing on the our T.Vs.

[edit on 27-10-2006 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Sky News done the exact same btw.

Yeah,
but if you give Murdoch a telling off for being naughty, your party will get no coverage in his media emipre. thats the difference.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I can see no reason for us to be afraid of hearing the views of 'the other side', it's a strength not a weakness.

It would be different if they were discussing anything that could be described as 'assisting their cause' but simply airing their view is nothing to fear IMO, it's what is supposed to be fundamental to our values, free speech, and one of the vlaues which makes our way 'better'.

(I thought the tory party had seen past this kind of counter-productive nonsense when they got rid of the ban on Sinn Fein spokesmen speaking.)

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
(I thought the tory party had seen past this kind of counter-productive nonsense when they got rid of the ban on Sinn Fein spokesmen speaking.)

Republic of Ireland had the same ban of Sinn Fein spokesmen too.

it wasn't just a "Tory thing".

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Republic of Ireland had the same ban of Sinn Fein spokesmen too.

it wasn't just a "Tory thing".

- ....well, ok.....but I was discussing this in the context of British politics and the events in the UK today.

If it makes you feel any happier I'd say the RoI's ban was nonsensical, counter-productive and ill-advised too.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
If it makes you feel any happier I'd say the RoI's ban was nonsensical, counter-productive and ill-advised too.

you really do know how to make me chuckle sometimes

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I thank you.

I thank you.

new topics

top topics

join