It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Assigned Seats"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Today in school we were in "assigned seating" for the third week in a row, this week just because three weeks ago there was some trash on the floor.
It works like this:
Women on one side,Men on the other.
As soon as you get their you are not allowed to move anywhere else the principals tell you when to go eat and they tell you when to throw your stuff away.
We tried to civally protest but the got word on that and told us that if any one protested we would get 2 weeks of inschool suspension.
Recently the women get to sit anywhere they want on their side ,but we the men do not.This is just demonstrating another way that they can controll us.

:shk:

TRw

[edit on 26-10-2006 by The_Result_was]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Ouch,I also experienced this assigned seating thing and one time I had to sit on a table with somebody's saliva on it.

I had to sit there for several weeks.grrrrr

BTW what kind of school is this? The first totalitarian school of it's kind?

[edit on 27-10-2006 by tormentor]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Assigned seating as a method of control?

Well thats a different way to look at it I guess. Its been a few years since I was forced to sit in a seat assigned to me, but it really was never a big issue.

So whats the real issue, not close enough to the girl you want to sneak a peak at? Too close to the front? Back? C'monn out with it!

In the first few weeks you can understand the reasoning of this approach. How would a teacher learn 25+ names if your all over the place each day. This way it is easier to put a name to the face.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I never really had assigned seats, we all got to choose our own.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Assigned seating as a method of control?

Well thats a different way to look at it I guess. Its been a few years since I was forced to sit in a seat assigned to me, but it really was never a big issue.

So whats the real issue, not close enough to the girl you want to sneak a peak at? Too close to the front? Back? C'monn out with it!

In the first few weeks you can understand the reasoning of this approach. How would a teacher learn 25+ names if your all over the place each day. This way it is easier to put a name to the face.

Well chissler,
Yes i have a girlfriend and i want to sit next to her ,but i cant since its guys on one side,and girls on the other. The real thing that gets on my nerves is that I don't rly like Wannabee "Gangstas" that behave horribly, and it rly isnt a small school about 2,000 people attend and in my lunch peroid there are about 600 (i think).

tormentor,i know how you feel that happened to me two days ago.eww
And you guys know how there are groups in school,Preps,"Gangstas",Goths,Suicidals,Drugies,
I was stuck sitting with one m,emberr from every group and lets just say it was very uncomfortable

TRw

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I've never had a problem with assigned seating.

That said, the classes I take don't really inforce it to much, I mean
you can't sit wherever you want everyday, but if you don't like the
seat youre in, you just move, or ask the teacher.

I particularly could'nt care less where I sit, unless there was some
nasty smelly person next to me.

I have to say though, it's generally a good thing that boyfriend
& girlfriend not sit next to one-another.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I have to say though, it's generally a good thing that boyfriend
& girlfriend not sit next to one-another.

Why would you say that,i see no wrong in it.

TRw

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, apart from that it can strain the relationship, especially if you
have friends sitting near-by.

I've seen it go sour because of this kind of thing, the BFs friend will
stupidly say something they should'nt in front of the GF, and she
gets pissy, and usually they break up.

Ive' seen it hapen twice.

And than to, people, especially younger people, tend to get bored
with relationships if they're around there BF/GF alot more than
normal.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well, apart from that it can strain the relationship, especially if you
have friends sitting near-by.

I've seen it go sour because of this kind of thing, the BFs friend will
stupidly say something they should'nt in front of the GF, and she
gets pissy, and usually they break up.

Ive' seen it hapen twice.

And than to, people, especially younger people, tend to get bored
with relationships if they're around there BF/GF alot more than
normal.

Thanks for clearing that up,
And your right i've seen it happen too,
meh,we always sit together but we dont see much of each other dduring the regular day so i guess it balances out.

TRw

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Who is this "they " that are controlling you through assigned seating?
Id say that if this is the only thing in life you have to complain about you are doing pretty well.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kokoro
Who is this "they " that are controlling you through assigned seating?
Id say that if this is the only thing in life you have to complain about you are doing pretty well.

The they is the school Admin. its just another way of making us submit to them and do as they say,but then again thats school for you,
And yes i do have things pretty ,and hell if you can post a thread in the
"rant forum" about how people stop at yellow lights then,I think that you could post about "assigned seating".Im not trying to be mean about it but this is the rant section after all.

TRw

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I vote for assigend seating, AND those cubicle dividers between each seat. Soundproof, of course.

I never had a problem with it.
It was mostly for the sanity of the teachers. For ease of indentification.

And of course, it was more conducive to Learning, and if I remember correctly thats what school was/is for.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ah alas, how I long for the days when all I had to worry about was assigned seating.....(brain starts wandering back to the good old days before jobs and taxes).....

Actually, being a shy person, assigned seating was a welcome thing when i didn't know anybody in the class. Then I didn't have to look like a loser that couldn't find someone to sit next to.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It demonstrates nothing, other than that if you disobey perfectly sensible rules then there is punishment. Its school, the schools that maintain order like this have more students that learn more and do better, the ones that have no order, they're some of the worst schools in the country.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This happened to me a fair few times when I was at school. The easy solution is to turn your tables away from the teacher.

Then again, I never really minded because ours was alphabetical order and I got to sit next to a girl I quite liked.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Men and women? You mean boys and girls right? I mean... your in Jr high or High school? Certainly a man or woman wouldn't throw trash on the floor.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
hey guys im sry i havn't reposted in a while but the conflict was resolved seemed that the staff didnt like the way this was heading and they resolved it ,

well only about 11 days of tension,and the ADMIN broke down

thank you all for replying

TRw

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hm... must not be a very great school if they are segregating males from females... IMO anyway.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
We were arranged in the seats BY GRADE. The front right seat was the highest cumulative grade as of the previous six weeks. You knew instantly how everyone ranked. Ties were seated alphabetical.

Some teachers would put the worst students in front, with the best in the nap zone at the rear of the class.

Either way, you knew how everyone was.

It was horrible. We learned to spell, type, and do math without a calculator or even a slide rule. We had to memorize dates and geography, instead of participating in fun-filled "group projects."

I've been scarred for life.

join