It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush OKs 700-mile border fence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Anyone remember the story about the boy who kept trying to put his finger into the dam that kept springing leaks everywhere?Just to have it fall apart anyways.
Thats kinda what this is,it seems more like a way to shut people up,instead of doing anything that will really make a difference,bright side being,at least its a start i suppose.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush signed a bill Thursday authorizing the construction of a fence along one-third of the 2,100-mile U.S. border with Mexico, but missing from the legislation is a means to pay for it.
www.cnn.com...

"We have a responsibility to address these challenges. We have a responsibility to enforce our laws. We have a responsibility to secure our borders. We take this responsibility seriously," said Bush, flanked by Department of Homeland Security officials, GOP congressional leaders and Vice President Dick Cheney.
www.cnn.com...

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 is one of the first steps of a tougher illegal immigration policy touted by Republicans. Its signing comes 12 days before potentially pivotal midterm elections.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well what do you suppose he do? Nothing at all and allow 20,000 illegals come in every week?

Harsher punishments for thsoe entering illegaly? Like what? Nothing the democrats won't use to attack him as the elections near, I suppose....

Telling Mexico to do what they are supposed to do and help secure the border? Like we haven't done that for ages... Mexico's largest foreign income comes from Mexicans living in America, they have no incentive whatsoever to stop helping people come here.

If not a fence, then what?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
More border gaurds would work better than a fence.But then again you dont have to pay a fence.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I really don't like the idea of a border fence.

But lets face it the immigration laws are not being enforced and the border patrol is understaffed still.

We need to stop to slow the mass migration now, since we need to figure out what the status of the over 10 million illegal aliens in the country. You can't solve that problem if the border is wide open.

Where are we suppose to start to solve this for the most good?

1. I think control the border as much as possible, and yes a fence is needed for now.
2. Then we can look inward at the over 10 million illegal people in this country. Amnesty is coming to these immigrants in my opinion.
after that then
3. Greatly increase the work visas and legal immigration from mexico. This cuts down on the 10% that are criminals that are coming in. But coyotes will still be out there bringing people over.
4. For this increased mexican immigration, mexico allows a few US border agents into mexico side of the border to distrupt the crossings. (with mexican supervision officers with them.)
5. anyone caught crossing the border more then once should be imprisoned for a time. and not make this a joke of a game.

It really gets me angry that mexico want to tell the UN the USA is bad for wanting to build a fence. Since if mexico spent as much time trying how to cut corruption in their government and fix there economy....(where is all there oil revenue going???) then they wouldn't be losing population.

This might sound jerky, but the fence is a last resort to let the United States solve a problem and failing of the mexican government(as most illegal immigrants are from.) to provide for there own people.

Some of my ideas may be whacky. I don't know. And I really don't blame people trying to better there lives, but lets try to do it by the rules and not your selfish reasons.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   

5. anyone caught crossing the border more then once should be imprisoned for a time. and not make this a joke of a game.

And who's going to pay for this? It isn't free to dump them into prisons, it's going to cost tax payers MILLIONS.

There is no solution, no EASY solution actually.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Did the China great wall stopped the mongols from invading? No!

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
3. Greatly increase the work visas and legal immigration from mexico. This cuts down on the 10% that are criminals that are coming in. But coyotes will still be out there bringing people over.
4. For this increased mexican immigration, mexico allows a few US border agents into mexico side of the border to distrupt the crossings. (with mexican supervision officers with them.)

Fine ... give the power and authority to mexico.
It really does nothing to cut the percentage of criminals entering the USA, but it will greatly increase the already out-of-balance numbers coming from mexico. What about all the people from every other country that have every right to expect a fair and equal number of immigrants from their countries?

If you want to slow down or stop illegal immigration this is what you have to do:

1) Enforce the laws against employing illegals - send the employers to prison for a month or two.

2) Create a State Tax to tax all monies being transfered to foreign countries at a level of 25% or greater.

Hit them in the wallet, that is hard core real solution, if they can't send the money home without losing a huge chunk of it to the Government, it becomes less attractive to come here for jobs. Besides #2 will also cut down on all kinds of money laundering and other tax evasion schemes, it could mean $$Billions$$ in revenue for many states.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Did the China great wall stopped the mongols from invading? No!

But the wall that seperated east and western germany was VERY VERY VERY successfull... So successfull, that if the same results were to happen between the US and Mexico, illegal immigration would be extinct.

1) Enforce the laws against employing illegals - send the employers to prison for a month or two.

No. Sending them to jail would cost us taxpayers too much. Fine them. Simple as that - give them LARGE fines for hiring illegals. $5k per each illegal hired. $10k per each for repeated offenses.

I guarantee you.. illegal immiigration will stop sooner or later.

[edit on 26-10-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
You're kidding? The wall between east and west germany was 160 km! The wall needed between Mexico and USA is 3141km and the one who's gonna be constructed (if they built it) will be 1125km... Like the China Great Wall. And you have to man the wall or even put cameras, and have mans to counter threats.

Sorry but this ``wall`` is just a political move, because they are presently building a NAFTA highway from Mexico to Canada...

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Right.i read this story today and im incensed!The president of mexico comparing this 2 the berlin wall?As we have an obligation to take in mexicans to keep american working people down AND pay for their health care/unemployment when we arent getting these benefits ourselfs.And HAVE to pay for this out of our ridiculous taxes?Ah..yeah rite.Heres better idea.Use national guard to secure border.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hey I just got a good idea!

Hire all those illegals for cash to build the fence real cheap? What do you think? a good idea or what?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Illegal aliens in the work force are a fact of life. If you think the rich folk are going to give up thier servants, pool boys, nannys, gardeners etc, and pay minimum wage to who?

The fence in nothing more than a transparent political gimmik for the GOP to be able to say they did something to stop the tide of mojados. Election, remember?

Eventually W will grant amnisty to all illegals so that they can stay and continue to work for less money than US citizens. Many large Corperations that "W" has received large political contributions from, use predominatly Mexican workers. Think that is gonna change?

This problem will eventually be dropped in the Democrats lap and they won't do anything either.

Deal with it!

The fence is political posturing, paid for by our tax dollars. Don't you just love it!

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
To those against the fence:

Is there a legal way to enter the US for immigrants?

Why should some be allowed to 'skirt' the legal way?

Is it fair to the immigrants who wait years to enter the US legally?

As of 2006, the United States accepts more legal immigrants as permanent residents than the rest of the world combined.

Immigration boomed to a 57.4% increase in foreign born population from 1990 to 2000. The public started to focus on existing immigration law and immigration outside the law, especially the 7.5+ million illegal alien workers with 12+ million household members already inside the U.S. and another 700,000 to perhaps more than 850,000 predicted for each coming year. At issue was whether the immigration laws and enforcement system were working as the public wanted them to work. Illegal household members from Mexico alone were estimated at over 8 million.

In 2006, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1000000 legal immigrants per year of which about 600000 are Change of Status

en.wikipedia.org...

Just how many immigrants should the US allow per year?

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Exactly Vitchilo

This is just a political move

It's to shut people up

Shut people up until when?

Why?

Three words..

North American Union

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob

This cuts down on the 10% that are criminals that are coming in.

lets not forget that illegal immigration,is just that, Illegal.they are all criminals

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadcatsrule

lets not forget that illegal immigration,is just that, Illegal.they are all criminals

Well, maybe we can hire the illegals to help us to build more prisons to keep them in after they finish the fence.

Three squares, TV, warm place to lie down; thats what they are crossing the border for anyway.

see the irony here?

Until there are no jobs for illegals to fill they will keep coming and there will always be plenty of jobs for them to fill regardless of wheather they are "illegal" or not.

I see them working thier butts off everytime I drive thru my village. Plastering, hot tar roofing, common labor etc. Personally I wouldnt do any of those jobs for less than min. wage. I wouldn't do it for Min. wage.

I would like to hear soultions though.

[edit on 28-10-2006 by whaaa]

top topics

join