It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Signs Border Fence Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind

In the 1990s, Hunter secured funding for a shorter fence south of San Diego. At the time, he estimated it would cost $14 million for the first 11 miles. In the end, the segment cost $42 million, according to Sean Garcia of the Latin America Working Group, who proclaimed it a "ridiculous waste of money." And it remains unfinished. Another $35 million was set aside in 2006 to complete the last three or more miles

Notice that was a quote from the Latin American Working Group, and I'm sure it is inflated. I would like to see an itemized list for that bill.

Here is a thought. To reduce the cost, why don't we just round up a bunch of illegals to build it.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
just fyi...the cost was pretty close....

The government says that about $39 million has been spent on the project so far, though some critics think that's a conservative figure. The Department of Homeland Security expects to spend an additional $35 million to finish the last leg of the fence. The Border Patrol, though, says the cost could be higher.

source

and i'm sure haliburton will build the fence.....

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Ok, I stand corrected.

I am still surprised at the cost until I read the description of the fence in that article.

The 14-mile project is actually a double- and triple-fence. The first fence was built with surplus military airplane landing mats that were welded together. The second fence is called Sandia fencing, because it was developed at the government's Sandia National Laboratories. It's steel mesh, 15 feet high, with the top part slanted inward. In high-traffic areas, there's a third chain-link fence topped with barbed wire. In between the first two fences is a 150-foot "no man's land." The Border Patrol uses that area to station vehicles. There are also light towers, and remote video-surveillance cameras are being installed even as I write. Security is augmented by helicopters and hundreds of ground-based Border Patrol agents.

I don't know, that may be a little overkill.

Edit: dyslexic I am

[edit on 10/27/2006 by Hal9000]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
What's the matter, Mexico?

Mad cause you're going to have a harder time dealing with your own criminals? Aww, Boo Hoo

Mad cause you're going to lose money from less illegals sending money back to Mexico from the USA? Aww, Boo Hoo

Mad cause you are going to have a harder time reclaiming Atzlan? Aww, Boo Hoo

Mad cause your drug runners will have to sell more drugs in Mexico and the Chinese can't help them anymore?? Aww, Boo Hoo

Mad cause America finally did something useful to stomp on your little parade? Aww, screw you.

Good going, Bush administration
(I know, a rare occurence, but's let's give credit where credit is due.)

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Most of the Hispanics who sneak across the southern border (I say Hispanics because it just isn't Mexicans) are hard working, law abiding people who just want to work to support their families, and there is little or no work where they are. They aren't criminals and fences don't stop drug dealers...Mexico trying to reclaim Atzlan is like the rest of your posting, a joke...and a mean spirited one at that.

This whole illegal aliens issue is a not so subtle racism issue. If hundreds of thousands of white, English speaking Canadians were sneaking across the border looking for low wages that no one else wants instead of brown skinned, Spanish speaking Hispanics, you wouldn't here a peep about it from the hard right wing conservatives and Republicans.

[edit on 27-10-2006 by grover]

[edit on 27-10-2006 by grover]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ah, empires and their fences.

There were many in our history and look what happened to them (empires).

I found an interesting definition on fences:

"Agricultural fence is a fence that keeps livestock in and predators out."

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

This whole illegal aliens issue is a not so subtle racism issue.

Ahh, no it is not, and it has nothing to do with racism, except to those who want to conveniently make it so to argue some bogus position. That mostly includes illegal aliens themselves, and people like you, grover.

If hundreds of thousands of white, English speaking Canadians were sneaking across the border looking for low wages that no one else wants instead of brown skinned, Spanish speaking Hispanics, you wouldn't here a peep about it from the hard right wing conservatives and Republicans.

Well I don't know about the hard right wing conservatives and Republicans, all I know is we have a legal system and programs to deal with LEGAL immigration, and through that system we have already admitted millions upon millions of people into this country. No no, let me repeat. WE HAVE ALREADY ADMITTED MILLIONS. We have already done the humanitarian good deed, and yet continually get taken advantage of. But that's not good enough, huh grover? I don't care what color they are, or from what national origin. Get here legally man, or don't get here. Get it?

But people like you, grover, would have us completely give away the farm more than we already have. People like you grover want to argue some stupid ass position that somehow seeks to excuse the breaking of the law and open our friggin borders to whoever, whenever they want. Well, you got your way, now it's time to have ours. Boo Hoo.

Yay fence.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

This whole illegal aliens issue is a not so subtle racism issue. If hundreds of thousands of white, English speaking Canadians were sneaking across the border looking for low wages that no one else wants instead of brown skinned, Spanish speaking Hispanics, you wouldn't here a peep about it from the hard right wing conservatives and Republicans.

Well there's some hate speech to counter the other guy's hate speech...nice job.

Germans, Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and Irish all were looked down upon...if Canadians came and acted like "some" of the Hispanics do then people would hate them too.

I don't think anyone blames them for wanting to come to the US and make money. What we blame them for is feeling "entitled" to cheating the system and Americans and trying to dictate our laws for their benefit. Some people mistake the anger people have for racism.

I think all of us have heard or read about some illegal that has shot a cop, sold drugs, raped, murdered, or robbed someone...and people think: "this is an act that never should of happened since this person never should of been here". So then those illegals make all the legit Hispanics look bad too and people become suspicious of all the new Hispanic immigrants. This applies to the illegals showing up at hospitals and living on welfare...legit hispanics get a bad name from those ruining the system. The best thing to avoid people's anger, that turns to hate and racism, is to prevent the illegals from coming in. But that doesn't mean we turn our back on Mexico, they are our neighbors and I'm sure most of us have hispanic family and friends that we don't want to see suffer.

This isn't the Berlin Wall...we don't shoot people crossing the fence and we aren't keeping people in. We're locking our doors because we are tired of people stealing what we worked for. Mexico didn't fight WWI or WWII for us. And they didn't stop the Cold War...a lot of people died for what we have today. Why should we give it all to another country that didn't have anything to do with it? Why not give it to Denmark or the Congo too? What gives Mexico a special right that other countries don't get?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Fence's? Oh please, like this is going to happen. This is more election year BS. It feeds the masses that sees "illegals"(pfft) as a serious threat. Please spare me the arguement of "costs" of having them there. If you want to feed on fear, go ahead.

Why aren't fence's going to happen? One word, coastline. Going to fence those too?

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have, only one response to the signing of this bill.........

"What a waste."

I wonder who will actually build the wall......seems to me, there could be a few people in the right place at the right time for what is essentially manual labor....

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't know if it was said before... but the fence will never be built.

Bush approved the possibility of a fence, but the lawmakers passed a law to not built it. You know, we don't need a fence when we have the North American Union!

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I don't know if it was said before... but the fence will never be built.

If you read the entired article you will understand that is all a political move, it will not be any fence building and the immigration problem will end like Bush wants in amnesty.

So is not use to get all hot and sweaty on an issue that is nothing more than propaganda right now.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
i think its right to block out those damned mexicans living on our taxes because they have babys here and then they cant take them back to mexico where those damned drug horders belong

SCREW MEXICO!

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i may be new, but im just saying, if u wanna stay here, please settle down

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patrick The Religious Man
i think its right to block out those damned mexicans living on our taxes because they have babys here and then they cant take them back to mexico where those damned drug horders belong

SCREW MEXICO!

"Patrick The Religious Man". Wow, what religion are you? Whatever it is, I'm out.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
If you read the entired article you will understand that is all a political move, it will not be any fence building and the immigration problem will end like Bush wants in amnesty.

Huh? I thought Bush opposes amnesty?

from Whitehouse.gov and President Bush himself saying:

We must face the reality that millions of illegal immigrants are already here. They should not be given an automatic path to citizenship; that is amnesty. I oppose amnesty. There is a rational middle ground between granting an automatic pass to citizenship for every illegal immigrant and a program of mass deportation. And I look forward to working with Congress to find that middle ground.

So I am not sure why the naysayers are screaming political move. There is probably some element of that, I'll agree, but whether only a portion of the fence is built due to chamber legislation, or whether a good chunk of the appropriations end up being diverted to other border protection measures such as a virtual fence or UAV's, I am just happy that something is being done about it. And we better damn well see the results- and I am talking drastically reduced numbers of illegal influx, and increased numbers of illegal outflux. With all that money thrown at it, hell, SOMETHING'S gotta happen.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Why should Illegal immigrants be granted amnesty and recieve citizenship when legal immigrants have to go through the system to gain citizenship.

So what? The illegals hide from the feds long enough and they're rewarded for running with citizenship when the legals have to work hard and put up with that long wait just to gain citizenship?

Doesn't seem very fair.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Huh? I thought Bush opposes amnesty?

from Whitehouse.gov and President Bush himself saying:

We must face the reality that millions of illegal immigrants are already here. They should not be given an automatic path to citizenship; that is amnesty. I oppose amnesty.

I guess he reserves the rigth to change his mind, specialy during elections.

Because The Bush Immigration Plan two years ago, was about nothing else but giving work permits to millions of illegal so they could work in the US.

That was nothing more than amnesty.

But hey is election time what can I say, somebody had a change of hart.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The fence is not an end all solution

But its a start in the right direction.

Another part of the solution is to roll out on a national basis what Georgia has done.

13-10-91.
(a) On or after July 1, 2007, every public employer shall register and participate in the federal work authorization program to verify information of all new employees.
(b)(1) No public employer shall enter into a contract for the physical performance of services within this state unless the contractor registers and participates in the federal work authorization program to verify information of all new employees.
(2) No contractor or subcontractor who enters a contract with a public employer shall enter into such a contract or subcontract in connection with the physical performance of services within this state unless the contractor or subcontractor registers and participates in the federal work authorization program to verify information of all new employees.
(3) Paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection shall apply as follows:
(A) On or after July 1, 2007, with respect to public employers, contractors, or subcontractors of 500 or more employees;
(B) On or after July 1, 2008, with respect to public employers, contractors, or subcontractors of 100 or more employees; and
(C) On or after July 1, 2009, with respect to all public employers, contractors, or subcontractors.
(c) This Code section shall be enforced without regard to race, religion, gender, ethnicity, or national origin.

As far as private employers are concerned my opinion is they should be fined heavily for each and every illegal they are caught hiring or contracting to the tune of $50,000 eace offence no exceptions, no delays, no appeals even if it means they go out of business. A few of these happen others will get the idea.

Others who have suggested wage parity as a solution are foolish in thinking that will make it unaffordable to hire illegals - the result will be lower wages for all in compensation - its a naive idea to believe companies will do otherwise.

I would be very happy to pay more for products and services knowing that someone is making a living using monies earned rather than my tax dollars subsidizing the current low wage no benefit system perpetuated by companies able to "get away with it" using the illegal labor pool.

I have watched this problem grow exponentially for decades and am fed up with the do nothing policies of the past.

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Phoenix]

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic

Well there's some hate speech to counter the other guy's hate speech...nice job.

What hate? Where? I was trying to point out that illegal aliens from other countries pass below the radar. I have personally known several English and Scots as well as German and French who were living and working illegally in this country (in the restaurant trade you meet all types) and they never got the scrutny that Hispanics do, and I have known a good many Hispanics who were far harder working and a greater asset to work with than a good many citizens here.

I know good and well something has to be done about the issue of illegal aliens and for once our pinhead-in-chief had a good idea with a guest worker program...a large part of why they come here illegally is the cost and difficulty of getting a working visa in the first place....when you are impoverished those can be a major hurdle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join