It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Terror suspect admits to plot to blow up Australia's only nuclear reactor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Plot to blow up Lucas Heights

As you can guess , this was all over the news here tonight.

As Australian police head to Paris to interview French terror suspect Willie Brigitte, he has reportedly told investigators he was involved in a plot to blow up the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor.

At this point they are, apparently , not too sure......... but leaning towards yes. It's always comforting to see that the reasons behind it were

Brigitte reportedly told French investigators he chose Australia as a target because it was easier to strike than the United States

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:17 AM
link   
mulberry

What's your impression of the devastation that would be done to Sydney if Lucas Heights was "nuked"?

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
mulberry

What's your impression of the devastation that would be done to Sydney if Lucas Heights was "nuked"?

These guys weren't looking to " nuke " a nuclear power plant. Otherwise it would mean they already had a nuclear weapon.

They thought about the possibility to attack the central, but in a conventional manner ( with a plane, C4....??? ).

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:30 AM
link   
U-P

Thanks! It's what I meant, I was kidding badly when I put the inverted commas around "nuked" as in Lucas Heights gets "nuked" by its own nuclear power plant.

Seriously - I know the area intimately and I was wondering what the upshot would be, a la Chernobyl or other examples.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
If its a fairly modern facility to breach the containment
area
would take a huge focused charge............

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 05:53 AM
link   
it would depend on the type of attack what the consequences would be.

a large scale explosive attack (car/truck bomb in the right part of the building) would probably say goodbye to a large part of southern sydney for quite a while (imo)

a light aeroplane would do some damage but might not set of any nuclear type meltdown/reaction

a large passinger/cargo plane might cause similar fate to southern sydney as point 1.

not shure of what the other possibilities are but most would do a fair amount of damage

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   
MA-

this is a link to the report of the 2001 Senate Enquiry on Lucas Heights

www.anawa.org.au...

as far as I can gather there is a 1.6km zone around the facility with populated suburbs after that.

IF blown up correctly the whole thing is a massive dirty bomb. There is a LOT of nuclear waste stores there at the moment.

ANSTO , the body that runs Lucas Heights , has this on the net , guidelines in case of an accident

ANSTO GUIDELINES

Dr Jim Green posted this analysis of the possible threat on the GReenpeace website here

www.greenpeace.org.au... detail.html?site_id=22&news_id=442

HE seems to sum it up well.

Cant seem to find a proper map of sydney with the reactor on it. From memory it's about 40 kms from the city centre. I dont live in Sydney so I cant help you there.

Daniel Hirsh , a US nuclear expert had this to say in 2000 about the impact of an accident at the reactor on Sydney itself.

www.greenpeace.org.au... detail.html?site_id=22&news_id=442

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
www.homestead.com...

this seems to giv a good synopsis on the problems with Lucas Heights.

[Edited on 11-11-2003 by mulberryblueshimmer]

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:08 AM
link   
thaks for the info, the only map i could find was on whereis.com and it only said where the facility was it didnt show any detail

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:12 AM
link   
It's basically on its own long stretch of road heading out west from Sutherland shire (south of Sydney) to Bankstown and Liverpool. There's a lot of reserve around there but I haven't been past it for some time and I imagine there would have been a lot more residential development. Wouldn't catch me living within 20 miles of theplace.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Ive just read up on that plant
If you live near it
you might want to MOVE......

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Liverpool and the suburbs round there are easily within 20 kms and are very densly populated.

I can tell you that straight from the fact that my cousin lives out there , so if I need free accom in Sydney that's where i stay.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
U-P

Thanks! It's what I meant, I was kidding badly when I put the inverted commas around "nuked" as in Lucas Heights gets "nuked" by its own nuclear power plant.

Seriously - I know the area intimately and I was wondering what the upshot would be, a la Chernobyl or other examples.

I knew what you was meaning.

As for the Chernobyl scenario, it's still possible but I don't think it will happen. Western nuclear power plant haven't been designed as their russian counter part. Russian " RBK " nuclear reactor have all a problem ( especially the old ones ) that our don't have. Damn, I don't remember what's the problem with these Russian nuclear reactor.
But I know our don't have it.
So we can stay cool.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Warning of Lucas Heights attack
November 11, 2003

A SECRET study is believed to warn that four million people could be contaminated in the event of a successful terror attack on the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor, according to a magazine report.

click

seems that anyone within 80km (basically all of sydney) could be contaminated if an attack was succesfull.

that is way more that i wouldve thought.

i spose the right comditions would have to be inplace (i.e Winds etc)

new topics

top topics

join