It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi PM Sees The Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki stated he could get the current violent situation in Iraq under control within a period of six months, which is half the time General Casey spoke about lately. According to al-Maliki the U.N. mandate is the cause of the poor security situation. Should he gain control of the Iraqi Security Forces, progress would be easier to achieve.

www.alertnet.org

BAGHDAD, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Iraq's prime minister said on Thursday he could get violence under control in six months, half the time U.S. generals say they need, provided Washington gave him more weaponry and more say over his own forces.

In sharp criticism of the handling of Iraq's security by the United States, Nuri al-Maliki denied U.S. assertions he was working to a timetable of steps agreed with Washington.

"If anyone is responsible for the poor security situation in Iraq it is the Coalition," Maliki said.

"I am now prime minister and overall commander of the armed forces yet I cannot move a single company without Coalition approval because of the U.N. mandate," Maliki said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally I see it as utterly nonsense. It seems impossible to restore 'peace' within a timeframe of six months only, in particular because so many Iraqis deeply hate the current government and al-Maliki.

An attempt could be made by financially aiding Sunni societies with money from the crude oil sales. But solving... I have my doubts, not the speak of the risk that money would be used for other purposes than intended.

Related News Links:
www.andnetwork.com

[edit on 2006-10-26 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah, sounds like he'd like to get his hands on that military. Not sure if that's a good thing though. Might just use it to deepen the 'civil war'.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Al-Maliki has made various statements against the US and coalition and against Israel.

But he has almost no respect from the population, and the only reason he is still alive is thanks to the US covering his butt.

Still we can pretty much tell who is in control and who is not in Iraq. He is actually nothing more than a poppet prime minister.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Exactly. And how is he going to get it under control in 6 months? I don't see how it can get any easier than it is now.... he has 150,000 American Troops backing him up!

In 6 months we can start to pack our bags and theyll be just fine right? Yeah sure and you can expect pigs in the forecast tomorrow. Our country has arrived at it's present state after 200 years! You can't just invade a country like Iraq and expect them to achieve what we have in 6 months or even a few years.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
A perfect opportunity 2 withdraw now that an official would claim responsibility 4 these animals.No dought dubya will not take opportunity 2 get the f..k out of this hairbrained adventure.There are ACTUAL threats via iran/n.korea no one wants 2 address.GOOD WORK BUSH AND CO.!

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I say, give him the chance. He can't possibly screw things up any worse than they are right now, and if he's willing to stand up and take the wheel, I say go for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
well look at it this way...he says the coalition is the cause of the insurgency. we pretty much have to stay until that dies down and the govt has control. if he takes over and says to the people "ok, you want them gone? do what i tell you and they will go. " and use it as a personal power play. it may just work.

it may fail miserably of course to which the current admin would be like "see, told ya so" but hey, they're gonna do that if we pull out anyway "see told you we could rebuild them" so they covered either way. lets get some stability call it mission accomplished and bring our brothers and sisters home to gear up for the next one. the next one of course could be avoided with real diplomacy id hope but im a realist as much as an idealist so who knows.

adult swim network on Cn said it best tonight "dear north korea, please done destabalize the region. tahts where our anime comes from"

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The first think that will happen when US leave if Iraq (if that ever will happen is to much oil to let go) the government in Iraq will collapse and the memebers will be find death on the side of the road.

new topics

top topics

join