It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths Magnetic Field Declining Fast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by amehrich
What was catastrophic then and now could be quite different.

Did prior civilizations that endured this have 100 story skyscrapers and cities with millions of people inhabiting them? Current population density and building architecture could make a widespread event more costly in terms of human life then in generations past.

While changes in the circulation of the liquid core could possibly result in crustal movement, I think Indellkoffer is suggesting that the mere reversal of magnetic poles wouldn't be catastrophic geologically.

My point is the weakening of the field which apparently preceeds the flip in the magnetic field could be problematic depending on how much it weakens.

I don't think the process is understood well enough to say that it won't weaken so much as to cause radiation exposure concerns. There isn't enough data.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

...this seems like an under-reported topic, like you mentioned... on the Wiki page, there's mention of a potential catastrophe from this happening, also, it shows the timeline in MYA of past occurances. Their 'main' news was that around year 3000, this could happen, yet later, allude to the OP about something imminent. Plus, there's talk of the acceleration of this; did a little research, and yes, 2012 again, is mentioned. . .

At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker at a rate which would, if it continues, cause the dipole field to temporarily collapse by 3000–4000 AD. The South Atlantic Anomaly is believed by some to be a product of this. The present strong deterioration corresponds to a 10–15% decline over the last 150 years and has accelerated in the past several years; however, geomagnetic intensity has declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value achieved approximately 2000 years ago. The rate of decrease and the current strength are within the normal range of variation, as shown by the record of past magnetic fields recorded in rocks.

The Earth's magnetic north pole is drifting from northern Canada towards Siberia with a presently accelerating rate — 10km per year at the beginning of the 20th century, up to 40km per year in 2003.[3] It is also unknown if this drift will continue to accelerate.

en.wikipedia.org...

I rarely take their word when it pertains to health matters and there are controversial viewpoints on said topic, anybody w/ some detailed info?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join