It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Bombs Kill 50 Civilians in Afganistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Reuters

NATO warplanes killed at least 50 civilians, mostly women and children, in bombing in southern Afghanistan during a major Islamic holiday, local leaders said on Thursday.

The incident happened on Tuesday, the middle of the Eid al-Fitr festival marking the end of the Muslim fasting month, in Panjwai, an area where the alliance said it had killed hundreds of insurgents in a two-week offensive last month.

NATO says it killed 48 insurgents during heavy fighting in the area in Kandahar province on Tuesday and had received credible reports several civilians were killed in the operation.

"They have bombed residential houses."

Visiting the wounded in hospital, tribal elder Naik Mohammad said 60 civilians had died. Villagers also said 60 died and another member of the provincial assembly put the toll at 80.

Witnesses say 25 homes were razed in 4-5 hours of bombing.

Way to go NATO!

I suggest they start sending some more reinforcements, since blowing up little kiddies and women will surely make more people start to fight against NATO and other forces in this region.

Ofcourse they claim, they killed several insurgents.

They are Just Muslim, right?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
hmmm........
souljah?
WAY TO GO NATO????

erm...
there civilians?

Omega

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
hmmm........
souljah?
WAY TO GO NATO????

I am sorry - didn't you feel the sarcasm in those lines?

erm...
there civilians?

ERmm.. Tell that to the Bombers?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This stuff makes me sick

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Nato should have been disbanded, just as Warsaw was.

I hope the afghan resistance disbands them.

down with the criminal imperialist occupiers.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
SS, this is Democracy Western style, you cannot make an omelete without breaking eggs, I'm sure the local people have been killed by the insurgents as well.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
^i sincerely hope your being sarcastic.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
SS, this is Democracy Western style, you cannot make an omelete without breaking eggs, I'm sure the local people have been killed by the insurgents as well.

Well if they make an omlete with this eggs, I suggest they eat it as well.

Don't you think this kind of Mistakes would result in a kind of revenge situation?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
SS+Soul, yes it was sarcasm, thats the problem with the pro war lot on ATS they dont realise that our actions (the west) breeds more hatred towards us and causes more violence, trouble is I'm sure some will not care anyway.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I am sorry - didn't you feel the sarcasm in those lines?

Yeh i felt them man, spine tingly ingly ~!

ERmm.. Tell that to the Bombers?

ERmm ??

[edit on 26/10/2006 by Omega85]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Kandahar provincial council member Bismallah Afghanmal said 80 to 85 civilians were killed in fighting. A villager, Karim Jan, said 60 to 70 died. Another government official, who asked not to be named because it would "cause me problems," said at least 60 died.

NATO spokesman Maj. Luke Knittig said troops used "precision strikes" against militants who targeted aid deliveries and reconstruction projects in the area.

"Very sadly, civilians continue to get caught up in these engagements with tragic results," Knittig said.

Afghanmal said Taliban fighters ran into civilian homes, which were then targeted by NATO forces.

"With insurgents who regard the population as a form of human shield for themselves it obviously makes life very difficult for us, but it does not stop us from making every effort to ensure that we minimize any problems," said Mark Laity, another NATO spokesman.

The Afghan Defense Ministry was investigating, NATO said.

"An investigation has no meaning," said Afghanmal. "These kinds of things have happened several times, and they only say 'Sorry.' How can you compensate people who have lost their sons and daughters?"

Well heres the reason why. The Taliban fighters ran into peoples homes.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
How brainwashed our nation has become that is ok to find justification in killing 60, 70 people if one taliban is killed along with them.

More and more I come to the realization that is not such thing as war on terror but more like war to make more terrorism.

Perhaps the entire reason of the war on terror is to keep our nation and the population as targets to terrorism.

So we may become a nation with a population that is restricted by its borders and by laws for our safety.

War on terror is the biggest hoax of the 21 first century.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
news.yahoo.com...

NATO spokesman Maj. Luke Knittig said troops used "precision strikes" against militants who targeted aid deliveries and reconstruction projects in the area.

"Very sadly, civilians continue to get caught up in these engagements with tragic results," Knittig said.

I love it how they put the "precision strike" in quotation marks.

Show exactly how "precise" these strikes were.

Actually this is nothing new - when Civilians get killed by a NATO (or US) airstrke, you can always say that the terrible terrirsts run into the homes of the civilians and that the results were Tragic. Works everytime to concive the sheeple, that the terrible terrirsts always do their best, so the civilians bodycount rises - but on the other hand they do everything possible in order to not do that.

And in the meantime they shall make a photo with a skull of a fallen Afgani and probably even add their penis while they are at it - so that they can bring something "Cool" out of their sevice in Afganistan.

[edit on 26/10/06 by Souljah]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Marg, why do our enemies run into peoples homes?? Because they believe that American forces will not bomb them or they are taking cover from our firepower. We go where the enemy goes, we kill where the enemy stands at. If we decided to hold fire, we will never kill our enemies because they are hiding in peoples homes.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I love it how they put the "precision strike" in quotation marks.

Even precision bombs don't discriminate between civilians and military personnel. Be more realistic Souljah.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
deltaboy

Don’t worry you have no reason to lose your sleep at night after all they all muslin, and they all terrorist sympatizers.

So anything to make our nation safe, no explanations needed.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This whole business about "insurgents" using civilians and their homes as shields is a smokescreen. This is not some mechanised, uniformed army NATO is fighting but a guerilla force made up from the local populace, wearing the same clothes as any other local civvy and living in the same villages. They don't wear any distinguishing clothing to set them apart and they don't live in barracks or tent cities, making themselves open targets. They have no need to being part of the general population.

If a suicide bomber went after a military target in the UK and killed a bunch of civvies in the process would we so easily shrug them off as collateral damage? Of course not.
So what justification is there for the huge amounts of civilian deaths in Afghanistan?

[edit on 26-10-2006 by Britguy]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
deltaboy

Don’t worry you have no reason to lose your sleep at night after all they all muslin, and they all terrorist sympatizers.

So anything to make our nation safe, no explanations needed.

Muslims or not in this conflict or in any conflict. They were killed because the Taliban fighters ran into peoples homes. And I never say they were Taliban or terrorists sympathizers who allow them into their homes.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
And I never say they were Taliban or terrorists sympathizers who allow them into their homes.

Like I said no explanations needed.
you can sleep well tonight, knowing that we are safe.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Reuters

A leading human rights group on Monday urged NATO to do more to avoid civilian casualties in Afghanistan, saying reports of increasing civilian deaths were "turning the local population against" the Western alliance.

Afghan authorities are investigating allegations that about 60 civilians were killed last week as a result of NATO operations in Kandahar province, where the Taliban was born. Local leaders and villagers said dozens more were wounded and 25 houses were razed during several hours of NATO bombing.

"NATO's tactics are increasingly endangering the civilians that they are supposed to be protecting, and turning the local population against them," said Sam Zarifi, Asia research director for New York-based Human Rights Watch.

Winning Hearts and Minds in Afganistan!

WELL DONE NATO!

THUMBS UP!

[/sarcasm]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join