It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush's Cousin Kills Police Officer In Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
A cousin of President G. H. W Bush, who is also a Federal Judge has been involved in a fatal car crash in New Haven, Conneticut. Dan Picaglee died four days after being struck down by an SUV. Reports indicate that the driver was not tested for alcohol following the accident. Picaglee was a 17 year veteran of the police force.

www3.whdh.com
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- A cousin of President Bush is involved in a crash that takes the life of a Connecticut police officer.

Police officer Dan Picaglee died Saturday night, four days after being struck by an SUV.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why no DUI test? Isnt that mandatory following severe car crashes? Or does that not apply to Federal Judges, let alone members of the Bush family?

It's a tragedy that this officer died, lets hope his families pain is not compounded further by some horrendous string pulling as so often is the case.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
They would be mandatory if it wasnt a severe car crash, they have to take him to ER and stuff. I remember someone talking about a similar case, if he was drunk and gets lucky might of left his system already, but if they find open containers in the car, would be charges for DWI.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
DWI? Driving without Insurance?

Only messing.. (EDIT: Don't worry, Trickz, I am not on a grammer vendetta against you, just coinkydink)

It says the 4x4 hit him, now, is that a crash where the driver is injured as well? Seems to me, from the brief description, this is a road vehicle hitting a pedestrian, leaving the driver unharmed. Why then, was the driver not tested? Is it a case of "do you know who I am?". Did the driver actually require any treatment at all? Seems to me that if the accident was a car hitting the policeman, then the driver should be unharmed and tested immediately.

[edit on 25/10/06 by stumason]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Does this guy have a name? Or is "President Bush's Cousin" all we care about? Anyway, I'm not sure if standard procedure is to always test the drivers, I was in a car crash last year (I was not driving) and the driver in my car was not tested, nor was the other driver as far as I'm aware.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If Ted Kennedy can get off with no punishment for killing a woman, why shouldn't "George Bush's cousin"?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Does this guy have a name? Or is "President Bush's Cousin" all we care about? Anyway, I'm not sure if standard procedure is to always test the drivers, I was in a car crash last year (I was not driving) and the driver in my car was not tested, nor was the other driver as far as I'm aware.

All I could find is that he's a senior judge on the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, who lives in Connecticut and maintains court chambers in New Haven.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In this part of the world (Scandinavia), when an accident is fatal (or the injured is hospitalized) they always test for alcohol. Even if the vehicle involved is not a car but just a lawnmover or something.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I don't think it is usual procedure to give a DUI test unless there's some reason for the police to believe you are intoxicated such as smelling alcohol on your breath, finding open containers in the car, see you swaggering etc.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
djonh, I don't pretend to know all the circumstances, but I'd say crashing into a police officer falls into the realm reason.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I thought that fatal accidents, or those resulting in serious injury, automatically necessitated a breathalizer or the equivalent.

Do we have any idea if the cop was on foot? The language of the law may indicate that a breathalizer is only warranted in multi-vehicle collisions resulting in serious injury.

So, hit a pedestrian and you can go home.

I don't know, just speculating.

He shouldn't be treated any differently just because he's related to a former president. No free passes, no automatic guilt - just investigate the incident fairly and prosecute the man according to the law.

Accidents do happen though, and we really don't know enough about the circumstances to pass judgement. Maybe the driver wasn't paying attention, or maybe the cop just stepped out into the street without looking and got whacked. We don't know. (At least, I don't know. This is the only source I've seen so far for this story.)

(Edit: I've just gone and read some more sources on this story, and apparently the cop was directing traffic at the time, in the rain. He was wearing his reflective vest though, so we're back to square one. Could have been an honest accident, or it could have been negligence on the part of the judge.)

[edit on 25-10-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Was he on the cell-phone?

Maybe if they trie and convict him he'll have a new kind of Cell-phone!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
In this part of the world (Scandinavia), when an accident is fatal (or the injured is hospitalized) they always test for alcohol. Even if the vehicle involved is not a car but just a lawnmover or something.

In my part of the world (Orstraya) the rules are pretty much the same. Therefore it is very big news when celebs and politicians are busted speeding but don't get ticketed (happens occasionally). It used to be that minor accidents didn't require breathalyser tests, but even that's pretty much changed nationwide.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Cell Phone might be a good guess. I've been run off the road by some dumb ass on a cell phone three times this year. Not kids. Well dressed adults in newer cars. I don't know half my cousins. Bush may not even know this person?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Cell Phone might be a good guess. I've been run off the road by some dumb ass on a cell phone three times this year. Not kids. Well dressed adults in newer cars. I don't know half my cousins. Bush may not even know this person?

True, see it all the time here in the UK too.

As for the Bush comment, I am pretty sure that he would know him, seeing as he is a top judge. Pretty hard to imagine him not knowing his Judge cousin.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
If he sat on the 2nd Circuit he'd have some combination of special license plates, stickers, or other visible markings on the car to indicate that. If he got any special treatment is probably that, not that he some distant relation to the president.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
DWI? Driving without Insurance?

I've done it before!!!!!

Thanks for the chuckle.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Thaddeus Phinneus Bush.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I know someone who was in a car accident with a police officer and they didn't get tested for alcohol. Actually they were hoping to get tested because they suspect the police officer was drinking. So no, it is not automatic that you get tested.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If the Judge was treated at a hospital, I am willing to bet that his blood was tested for alcohol. Just because he wasn't given a Breathalyzer doesn't mean that he wasn't tested. As a matter of fact If I was the Judge I would demand a blood test anyway just to prove that I hadn't been drinking. This is just the media trying to stir things up anyway. If this guy wasn't related to President Bush we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

new topics

top topics

join