It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this anything? (Self-Hypnosis/Altered State/Changed Perspective)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm not even sure where a thread like this belongs, so I will simply put it here and hopefully get my question answered.

So let me lay out the scenario..

I am laying down in bed and staring at a light fixture in my room that is not turned on. I am just kind of thinking about my daily goings on and not really expecting anything unusual to happen. Very suddenly I am aware that nothing else in the room is visible EXCEPT the light fixture. It is as if everything else in the room has been blocked out and it is simply me and this one object.

After this first experience, I have done it mutliple times and can now enter this 'state' in a matter of 30 seconds or so. I have never attempted to 'project' or give myself any kind of suggestion while concentrating on the 'focus' (As I have come to call the object I am focusing on, clever I know.
).

Now I guess my question is...

What in the world is going on?

Am I actually doing something I should continue to be interested in, or is there a more mundane answer?

(For those that would like to attempt to duplicate my experience, here are some general practices I go through before trying it.)

1. Cut out a black circle of cloth or paper and tape it to a spot on your wall that is comfortably seen from a laying/sitting down position.

2. Concentrate your eyes on this one spot and do not allow them to waiver.

3. Avoid blinking, but do NOT STOP blinking. If you blink it is very important to continue to concentrate on the image.

If anyone else tries this, please post your results, I am interested in seeing if I am alone in this phenominon.

Thanks,
Hank

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I've read about this somwehere before. And, not to be a wise-ass, but the fact that you were staring at a light fixture probably caused it to initially happen.

If I remember correctly, what happened to you is the same thing that occurs when anyone stares at one of those 3-D pictures for about 25-30 seconds and an image jumps out at you all of a sudden. Except with you, you were staring at a light source which obviously becomes a drastic focal point after staring at it for a while. This is why the trick with the circular peice of paper only works when you use black paper. Any intense shade (pure white, black or, in your case, the light fixture) is going to draw your eyes in. Sorta like highway hypnosis.

The only thing is: how long does the "invisibility" of your surroundings last? If it's no more than a minute or so, I say this is a completely natural phenomena.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This might be a good way to start learning to focus so that you can meditate more deeply. If the room is dissappearing I think you might be going into the beginning of a meditative state or self-hynosis.
Maybe you could start giveing yourself "suggestions" after a few minutes into it and see if self-hypnosis works for you.
Most people use self-hypnosis to break bad habits, gain self-confidence, or anything else they think might improve their lives.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by elaine]

[edit on 25-10-2006 by elaine]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
He did say that the light was off.......

I do this regularly, you are entering the alpha state of mind and it's a good place to be when you are relaxing.
You can "program" yourself with positive suggestions in this state. It's also a great starting point to go on to other things like astral projection.

One question... does the area immediately around your "focus" sometimes show motion like it might be a bed of ants? I see that effect sometimes and I think it's pretty cool.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thank you for the responses.

Sandcastles,

My light fixture was off when it happened the first time, it was in the middle of the day, I was not drowsy. The phenominon has lasted for as long as I continue focusing on it now that I am experienced in the technique.

The trick works with any focal point I have tried. I stared at a man's head once while at a basketball game and the surroundings were slowly drawn out. It does not matter whether or not there is movement, or if there is motion. As long as the focus stays stationary I can achieve the desired results.

Elaine and Beer_Guy,

If this is a meditative state, or the threshold of on, or an alpha state, or some other altered awareness, and I do give myself suggestions, do you or anyone else reading think that it can hurt my consious self to do so? I'm not sure what I am scared of happening, maybe I am just sacred of what MIGHT happen. Ha ha.

Also, Yes.

The focus often begins to take on more fluid-like properties, no matter what it is. The focus also sometimes threatens to be swallowed up by the nothing around it. I have not yet 'allowed' myelf to lose the focus, maybe because I am concerned with not having an anchor to keep me in the 'real' world.

Does anyone with more experience with hypnosys/altered states/trances see any danger in the way I am proceding? Is there any real risk in doing this?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
As long as you're giving yourself positive suggestions, it won't hurt your conscious mind. A positive suggestion helps your conscious mind to make better decisions in your everyday life.

Say for example you want to stop overeating, well while you're in your hynotic state tell yourself "I will eat less" or if you need more self-confidence tell yourself "I am a wonderful person"...this goes into your subconscious. Your subconscious will then transfer these suggestions to your conscious. They then eventually become a reality for you.

You might find yourself eating less or becomeing more social almost without any seeming effort to it.

I imagine that if you gave yourself negative suggestions that would definitely hurt your "conscious mind". We give ourselves negative suggestions whenever we think badly of ourselves.

Are you afraid that if you lose the "focus point" that you won't be able to snap out of it? Like you might stay in a "trance"?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Thank you for your continued insights, elaine.

I read a book once called 'A stir of echos'. It was about a man that was hypnotised and was given the suggestion to be more open to his surroundings. After this suggestion was given, he started getting visions and saw a ghost of a girl. It was a fictional account, but I am just wondering if anything like this might be possible if given an unthoughtful suggestion. I dont want to open any doors I can't close. Heh.

As for losing my focus.. I guess I am afraid of what will replace it. If I am surrounded by a sea of nothing.. what could creep in? I have heard tales of people seeing entities while meditating, some even being possessed by 'demons'. While I don't have a strong faith in any type of 'God' or 'Demons', I have seen a man that was described by another as a "hat man" (My post in this thread will explain.) and I have also seen a full body apparition, so I -do- believe in spirits, though I have not seen anything like this while in this state.

I am a worried about getting spooked and not wanting to do it anymore. I am interested in continuing, but I am not wanting to mess myself over something I see. Ha ha.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hank,
I've been meditating since I was 16, I'm 43 now.

You have to remember that you are always in complete control of what you are doing. This isn't a "forced on you" state. If you give yourself suggestions, you know the full meaning of what you are suggesting. There won't be any confusion.
If you ever get into a spot that scares you, remember that you can just shake it off at will. You can't get stuck there.

top topics

join