It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming - What will you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Let me start with several points

The data that shows CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing.
The data that shows global temps are currently on an upward trend.
The argument that human activity contributes to both phenomena is impossible to refute.

But,

So far, there is no science capable of quantifying the contribution of human activity to global climate change/warming.

My questions are: What are you willing to do, or sacrifice, to stop or reverse GW?

What can be done by any government to stop GW, and how do you think this will affect you?

Lastly, since no one can quantify how much humans contribute to GW, how do we decide how much must be done to reverse it?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
ill buy a boat, some good weapons and become Kevin costner in Waterworld
(if any1 is interrested 2 join just U2U me) that will be much easier !! Because who am i 2 try an reverse or stop it ! Maybe if we ATS guys al quited smoking,driving cars heating our home , and could convince evry1 we know 2 do the same it would go smoewhat slower but as for now we pour 14.000.000 tons of co2 in the atmosphere (think yearly i forgot,sorry) most of it comes from the industry!! so ppl the only way we can stop global warming is stopping with the OVER-consumation of any resource!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well I've been into recycling for some time now but that smakes sense to do so. Global warming, a lie orchestrated by Western Goverments and enforced by the Anti Polution League to extort money by way of taxation. I just love the people who tell us we should increase taxes to stop people flying, driving big cars etc. but 2 problems these people are liars, and hypocrites, they live in a house, drive a car, etc. but tell the rest of us we shouldnt do it, second there attitude is if you want these things then you should pay more. So its alright to pollute as long as your willing to pay, so much for saving the planet then.

As far as I'm concrened we are on a living organism, sailing through space, our planet is affected by, our sun, moon, others planets and of course we're part of a massive galaxy. Every time the sun hits us with solar flares it effects our power supplies, there is an increase in stillbirths etc. The Earth has gone through many climate changes and will continue to do so irrespective if we were on this planet or not. But of course these things are never mentioned in the news are they, I mean we dont wont to tell people the truth do we.

But maybe the Earth and its people are due for a good rinsing.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The data that shows CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing.
Who's data?

Who's?

The argument that human activity contributes to both phenomena is impossible to refute.
Why is that? how long have we been recording?
I'm not for or against, but we don't have the data to make a call we only speculate what was going on.

It would be like saying at 6am, it's cold and then at 8am, it's warmer and getting hotter! But we only started recording at 6am,

not yesterday or the day before...which we all know actually happens every day.

Just trying to make you think

-DT

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
And as the largest "western government", the U.S. Does not support the Kyoto treaty last time I checked...so Global warming, a lie orchestrated by Western Goverments...seems kind of silly.

-DT

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I dont know. Does anyone have a spreadsheet of the recorded temperatures of different locations around the earth over the last century and a half or so?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Interesting post. Currently both my wife and I use bikes to commute. Her commute about 4 miles, mine about 11 one way. On the occasional day that the weather is too nasty, we drive our Honda Civic hybrid. It get about 45-50 mgp.

I live on the west coast and will be voting for prop 87. That taxes oil and the money will be used for alternative energy.

We heat our home with a wood stove. (This was the most efficient in terms of combustion when we bought it). We use only wood cut from old orchards. If wood burneers didn't use it, it would still be burned by the farmers.

Currently our utility bill averages about $50 per month.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
Who's data?

DATA

Who's?

DATA

Why is that? how long have we been recording?

I'm not for or against, but we don't have the data to make a call we only speculate what was going on.

It would be like saying at 6am, it's cold and then at 8am, it's warmer and getting hotter! But we only started recording at 6am,

not yesterday or the day before...which we all know actually happens every day.

Just trying to make you think

I appreciate that. Thats excatly what I was trying to do with this thread - get peolpe to think.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Human contributions to global warming is complete garbage. Please do some research as to previous warming periods before you buy in to this BS.

www.physicalgeography.net...

Please read this............

The period from 750 BC - 900 AD saw warming up to 150 BC. Temperatures, however, did not get as warm as the Climatic Optimum. During the time of Roman Empire (150 BC - 300 AD) a cooling began that lasted until about 900 AD. At its height, the cooling caused the Nile River (829 AD) and the Black Sea (800-801 AD) to freeze.

The period 900 - 1200 AD has been called the Little Climatic Optimum. It represents the warmest climate since the Climatic Optimum. During this period, the Vikings established settlements on Greenland and Iceland. The snow line in the Rocky Mountains was about 370 meters above current levels. A period of cool and more extreme weather followed the Little Climatic Optimum. A great drought in the American southwest occurred between 1276 and 1299. There are records of floods, great droughts and extreme seasonal climate fluctuations up to the 1400s.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
But again darkbluesky, all that data is from 80 till now.
Not even my lifetime.

Climate changes happen over millions and billions of years.

Not over 24 years.

That's where I was goiing with my 6am cold, 8am warm thing.

It is hotter now than 1980? So says that page of data.
Is it hotter now than when the Roamns were around...hmph, we have no idea.
Hotter than when moses came on down from the mountain? We have no idea.
Hotter than when the naked cave men were all running around? We have no idea.
5 million years ago? a billion?

My point being that we just don't have the data for how the earth's climate changes over vast periods of time.

It sure doesn't seem any hotter to me since the 80's..lol, but hey, up here in Mass every year is "This is going to be a mild winter"....and then we get buried in 10 feet of snow.

But worst case senario, we burn off our protective layer, we all die and the planet rebuilds itself. She's a pretty resiliant mom. Drop nukes and dig deep into her for our obsessions held in her bossom and she just kicks back and catches some sun. She'll let ya know when and if there's a problem.

-DT

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I guess I was trying to be too clever by half in my first post. Fact is, I'm what Gore would call a GW denier.

I'm in the school of thought that while there is undoubdetdy some small fraction of influence exerted on the climate by humans, it's insignificant. Likewise, any human attempt to intentionally influence the climate would be equally insignificant.

I was hoping to illustrate that idea to the Global Warming alarmists who insist GW is mostly or completely man made, and that all us coastal dwellers will be under water in a few years.

I figured if I met them half way I'd get more responses.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Look out! double agent!
hehe.

-DT

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
To answer the original question..

-I walk almost everywhere I go, not only is it better for the environ-
ment, it's better for me.
-I recycle.
-I try to educate people on the environmentally friendly ways to do
things.
-I'll ber voting for an proposition that supports Alt. energy R&D, or
taxes the oil industry.

Thart's what I do, and what I'll be doing.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well I am gonna break out those marshmallows

Seriously...this DOES worry me. Oz is experiencing the worst drought on record and this is the fault of our Australian state and federal governments who have mismanaged the water in this country by failing to construct more dams and allowing people to mass on the city fringes. I expect that is the case worldwide.

I just try to do my part by recycling and being mindful of using too much water and chemicals.

It is the responsibility of governments globally to seek viable and effective means of power production and provide this for the future. We cant be really effective without better infrastructure (infrastructure in itself is bad, I know).

Mankind has raped and pillaged this planet and we are now paying the price

In Pace
resi

top topics

join