It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards: The New Area 51?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I found this innocuous document on the net. It's interesting for people like us; a detailed list of Air Force range complexes in the U.S., the number of acres operated by each and the planes tested at each.

In all cases (except in the paranthetical notes at the bottom referencing the 2002 Executive Order by Bush to keep Area 51 a secret) the planes tested and kept at the ranges are identified. Except an interesting descriptor for Edwards and Eglin AFBs:

Edwards Range A-10, OA-10, B-1B, B-2, B-52H, F15C/D/E, F-16, F-117, plus aircraft and weapons in testing

Eglin Ranges A-10, OA-10, B-1B, B-2, B-52H, F15C/D/E, F-16, F-117, plus aircraft and weapons in testing

Could these be the new Area 51's, given that the actual Area 51 -- according to a variety of gov't docs -- seems to be more used now for weapons depository and contamination monitering than test flights.....

www.denix.osd.mil... e%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=96" target="_blank" class="postlink">Original document

[edit on 25-10-2006 by behindthescenes]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Could be, but I doubt it.

Some of the reasons?

If you have ever driven through the high desert of California, several major highways surround the base and it would be impossible to stay that covert with something really black. Having been there numerous times, you would be amazed at the sheer number of flight ops that go on and there is an AM/PM mini mart where you can grab a soda and watch F-15's on landing approach et al to your hearts content all day 9which I have done much to the annoyance of my wife
)

Lots of civilan contractors roaming the base which is much smaller than Nellis.

They have an open house once a year usually (best air show period when they have it)

[edit on 10/25/06 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The Groom Lake facility ("Area 51") is the test site for black projects from Edwards.

Edwards is the home of the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC) and is where operational and experimental airplanes and weapon systems are tested. Similar activities take place at Eglin.

The operating location at Groom Lake is a detachment of AFFTC. That is the place for testing classified aircraft and weapons because it is less accessible to the public and unauthorized observers.

The statement that "Area 51...seems to be more used now for weapons depository and contamination monitoring than test flights" is not substantiated by any evidence. It is part of the "Area 51 is closed" fantasy.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken Edwards also hosts Dryden, NASA's aeronautic research facility. They have tons of white projects there with relatively no secrets. Then again who knows, maybe there is a tunnel to connect Wdwards and Area 51

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk

The Groom Lake facility ("Area 51") is the test site for black projects from Edwards.

I'll have to agree with Shadowhawk on this one. However, it does seem like there is an air field on the north side of Edwards that has temporarily hosted some classified projects. The name escapes me right now though.

But just to be clear, I think most of the USAF Special Access Program airframes (if there are any) would be based at Groom Lake and Tonopah...

[edit on 10-27-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
intelgurl,
The airfield on the north side of Edwards is now called North Base.

It was originally built in 1942 as a secret test site for the Bell XP-59 and Lockheed XP-80 jet airplanes and was called Muroc Flight Test Base. At the same time, major WWII training operations were taking place near the south end of the lakebed at Muroc Army Airfield. The two airstrips became North Base and South Base when the new Main Base complex was built in 1950.

North Base served as a test site for the Northrop F-89 and North American B-45. North of the runway there was a high-speed deceleration sled track and a facility used by the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory. In the 1970s the secure compound east of the taxiway became home to the 6513th Test Squadron "Red Hats."

In the 1990s a new facility was built near the old JPL site to house the 18th Space Surveillance Squadron. The 6513th TS became the 413th Flight Test Squadron and changed its mission to electronic warfare (EW) test.

When the 413th was inactivated, its resources were absorbed by the 412th Test Wing's EW Test Directorate. North Base also serves as the commuter terminal for King Air flights to Nevada.

I once had an opportunity to visit the North Base compound. It was an interesting experience.

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I made a thread that had several pictures from Google Earth of Edwards airforce base. Alot of aircraft there that show some of the aircraft that have been through Dryden's Research facilities. Check it out.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Regarding North base, I should have also mentioned the U-2 test operations. The early U-2 airplanes moved there from Watertown (Groom lake) in 1957. The U-2C, U-2G, and U-2R were all tested at North Base into the late 1960s or early 1970s.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Anyone know where the NT-43 is based?

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If you are referring to the T-43 Navigation Trainer, they are at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. If that is not the aircraft you are referring to please be more specific.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The NT-43 is an ex T-43, highly modified as a Radar Test Bed with large nose and tail radomes, It is seen flying in California sometimes, in trail of a B-2.

www.air-and-space.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'll have to ask around on that one.

top topics

join