It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clapham Wood, one weird place!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
UFOs, Satanism, disappearances, etc… It's all happened in Clapham Wood. I’m thinking of paying the place a visit. Not too sure I want to encounter a 2001 Space Odyssey-esque black mist monolith or a devil footprint. Incredibly odd place...

Mysteries of Clapham Wood

JAK

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just a little addition. Apart from reading the usual I don't know much about Clapham Woods but what I read I found very interesting, certainly a history about the place.

Also, only the other day I posted a thread about The Black Alchemist by Andrew Collins and remember it's involvement with the book:

'First Strike' - Occult activity in the UK

Additional material by Andy Mercer

One of the most enduring questions surrounding these cases is the suggested link between the Friends of Hecate and the Black Alchemist. Both B.A. and FoH have been extensively researched and written about. But no one has yet established what, if any, link existed between the two. Both were ‘operating’ at about the same time and in relatively close proximity to each other, opening up the possibility that the two at least know of each other. But there is simply no real way of knowing if they ever worked together. Indeed the two foremost independent researchers in this area are as convinced as each other of exactly the opposite point of view! It has even been suggested that B.A. and FoH are merely part of a larger, even global, ‘dark conspiracy’ working in various parts of the world. However this suggestion is pure speculation with very little evidence to back it up. Returning to Martin question of why Sussex, it worth remembering that Sussex was the last part of the UK to become Christianised and that its resistance to the ‘new faith’ may well resonate even today. And, certainly in the case of Clapham Wood, there is still a strong feeling of something not being quite right about the area.

But, as we always say, “the research continues…”

If you decide to go visiting take care and have fun and tell us how it went. One of the best giggles I had was spending a night at nearby Chanctonbury Ring.

Jak

[edit on 25/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   

One of the best giggles I had was spending a night at nearby Chanctonbury Ring.

Cheers Jak, did you experience anything out of the ordinary?

JAK

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I would have loved to reply in the affirmative thebox but unfortunately, apart from getting a little spooked, the only thing my friend and I experienced on one visit was the biting cold.

On another visit though with a few friends (six of us in total) a couple of them, the two at the back as we got lost in the pitch black of night on the way back to the car* were sure that there were other people in the woods who followed at a distance. It was pretty spooky while there but once in the car the rest of us put it down to them playing about or just being mistaken. Those who made the claims though never admitted or conceeded that whenever it was mentioned later.

Jak

*Yes, with hindsight torches would have been handy.

[edit on 26/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Does sound like fun!

I suppose it's one of those situations that is frightening at the time, but in hindsight a great experience!

I've had similar ventures into local woods, and have seen unlikely shadows manifest themselves in the blackness... but nothing concrete.

Hopefully I'll soon be able to experience Clapham Wood first hand... It'll certainly be creepy!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thebox

Ahh yes Clapham wood.

I first became interested in Clapham wood after reading about it in the unexplained. I went over there in the mid 80s before anyone had written a book about it. I read about it in an English periodical called The Unexplained. Myself and a fellow lodge member drove across and see what we could.

We experienced two main phenomena.

1) Physical sensations of crossing over lines; and
2) Seeing standing areas of mild fogginess.

Physical sensations.

When we started down the woods we started to experience sensations as we walked down the paths. We basically took either the role of the “experiencer2 or the “seeker”.

I or my friend would walk down a path and experience a sensation in our bodies. As soon as a sensation was felt the experiencer would take a careful note of a reference point, something like a prominent plant or stone or twig and not disclose it. They would then continue down the path as if nothing happened. A way down the path the experiencer would ask the other whether they had recently experienced anything. The invariable response was “yes”. The other person would invariably go back and indicate where they felt the sensation. The exact location indicated by the “seeker” coincided with the experiencer’s every time. We must have done this about 30 times and got bored with the game. We could literally step through the “beam and step back thereby switching the sensation off and on in our bodies. We switched roles between seeker and experiencers so as to have even roles.

The sensations were various and ranged from auditory buzzes and hums to wisdom tooth pains and hand tingling and slight discomfort in the ears. Of course nowadays I would be wondering about mobile phone masts etc.

Foggy patches

I could see standing areas of mild fogginess associated with some of the “lines” across the paths where the sensations were experiences so would assume that the phenomena were linked. I was there in the spring but it was not a foggy day.

As this was the 80s I certainly did not have a Camera phone on me. I do no that the woods seemed riddled with a number of “lines of force”. I must have spent about 2 to 3 hours there and must have walked a fair bit.

A couple of years later I met a workmate of mine that actually was friends with Toyne Newton who wrote about the Hecate worshippers and the mysterious events in Clapham woods.

T

PS With hindsight we could have designed better experiments but we went with an open mind.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
These woods sound very familiar to the Dudleytown woods in Connecticut. All sorts of terrible history resides in the abandoned settlement that used to be Dudleytown. Including treason to the British crown by the original founders of the place. Today the town is completely abandoned and only the foundations of the homes are left, along with a few eerie basements.
They say cult activity is common, as well as hauntings and other unexplainable occurences, even from what I heard (possible rumors) that hikers have disappeared there. I have been to the town on three occasions myself, each time my group and I were subject to strange phenomena such as unexplained lights flashing through the air at night, indefinable shapes moving throughout the trees, and even what seemed to be a temporary disappearance that left us all very frightened and confused.
These woods that you mention seem to be equally as creepy, if not more, wish I could go check them out myself.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Great to see this thread come back to life!

Very interesting GSBIO... are there any other stories relating to Dudleytown?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Clapham Wood is still being used by FOH on a regular basis.

I'm a member of an investigation group that has been monitoring activity in the wood for a number of years. We believe and have accumulated evidence that the Friends of Hecate are still carrying out ritual human sacrifices in the Clapham area and on the South Downs. We also have evidence that several members of the Clapham community are aiding the cult.
This cult has permeated our government to the highest levels and is found not only in Britain, but also France, Portugal, and is, according to contacts, widespread in the United States.

We are working on publishing a book and producing a documentary in the near future which will prove our assertions.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thought you might find this interesting to watch.

www.huntinghecate.com...

UFOs. Animal disappearances. Human deaths. These are just some of the things that have haunted the mysterious Clapham Woods of West Sussex in recent times. With claims of occult activity in the area, is there any evidence to suggest this is true or is it all an elaborate hoax?
Hunting Hecate follows by day and night, local resident Charles Walker, a paranormal investigator who has been investigating a satanic cult, the Friends of Hecate, for over 30 years.

top topics

join