It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KFC's Secret Ingredients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I would like to know if anywhere KFCs secret ingredients are exposed? It says some of the stuff in its flour and merinating stuff, but not the spices and such.

Anyone know?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
According to the following site, after having a sample tested in a lab, it was found to have only 4 main ingredients...

Salt, black ground pepper, flour and MSG.

Maybe the sample was taken from a restaurant trying to save money by not using
the whole 11 special ingredients. But maybe the 11 ingredients is a red herring
to keep the 4 ingredients secret?

www.topsecretrecipes.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I found this at: www.recipegal.com...

2 cups flour

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Here in Oz a lot of Chinese restaurants were putting MSG in their food and it was causing asthmatic attacks in some people.
It was banned after that I believe. Wouldnt it be ironic if all this
time KFC has been using it and getting away with it!

I have to say that Chinese food without MSG is more bland.
I wonder if this is also the reason why a lot of people are saying that
KFC doesnt taste as good as it used to. Maybe the ban covered them as well
after all.

Thanks for that recipe. I'll give it a go on our next chicken night.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
MSG can give some people headaches. Here in the states Chinese joints state that you can have your food cooked MSG-free.

As far as KFC, I think they just sweep up at night and use what they get in the next day's chicken...

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here's one without the MSG.

You can also use a packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing for the "11 herbs and spices" and that works pretty good.

I like Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour. It also makes a killer batter for fried mushrooms. Get some fresh mushrooms and batter them up with this and serve with some cocktail sauce. Big yum.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

As far as KFC, I think they just sweep up at night and use what they get in the next day's chicken...

Whatever is left over at night, there could be a full tray of fresh cooked chicken, but at close they throw it all out, including the gravy.

When they cook the chicken and once it is trayed and stored in the oven cabinet, the tray has a time card that states its freshness for a certain point of time.
Example: Product "Original/white" Time in "5:00" Time out "6:30"

On Toonie-Tuesdays, the chicken is cooked but poorly processed... Other days, you can expect better quality chicken! I say it is poorly processed on Tuesdays because, of being rushed from hundreds/thousands of orders. Frankly, I would not want to wait in a long drive-thru/restraunt waiting line to have a toonie-tuesday, because what your getting out of it is mostly oil and fat... But I encourage having chicken on other days =)

If anyone has any further questions, I would be happy to oblige

[edit on 26-10-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
KFC has gone downhill in Australia.

The skin is SO damn sloppy it hurts, and i'll be BUGGERED if I'm gonna pay $8AUS for a meal.

Especially fried pidgeon.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You better archive those recipes cuz the cooks want to start copyrighting and patenting their recipes.

www.boingboing.net...

The way things are going with Software Copyrights(patenting unpatentable algorithms) something like this is just a matter of time. After that will be fragrances and then finally the crap that goes into the toilet. Welcome to the Corporatocracy of the United Corporations of America.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
You guys forgot about the oil....And I mean the 10 gallons that come flooding out when you bite into a piece.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
A little off topic, but I have the McDonalds French Fry recipie....

McDonald's® Famous French Fries

Special Tools

Deep fryer

French Fry Cutter

(or patience for cutting potatoes)

Ingredients:

2 large Idaho russett potatoes

1/4 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons corn syrup

1½-2 cups hot water

6 cups Crisco® shortening

1/4 cup beef lard (or save the fat from previously cooked burgers)

salt

Preparing your french fries

Peel the potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and hot water. Make sure the sugar is dissolved. Using a french fry slicer, cut the peeled potatoes into shoestrings. The potatoes should be 1/4" x 1/4" in thickness, and about 4" to 6" long. (You can do this with a knife, but it is alot of work)

Place the shoestringed potatoes into the bowl of sugar-water, and refrigerate. Let them soak about 30 minutes.

While they're soaking, pack the shortening into the deep fryer. Crank up the temperature to "full". The shortening has to pre-heat for a very long time. It will eventually liquify. After it has liquified and is at least 375°, drain the potatoes and dump them into the fryer. (be careful, it will be ferocious)

After 1 to 1½ minutes, remove the potatoes and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Let them cool 8 to 10 minutes in the refrigerator.

While they're cooling, add the lard or beef drippings to the hot Crisco®. Again, crank the temperature to full. Stir in the lard as it melts into the oil. It will blend in.

After the deep fryer is reheated to 375°-400°, add the potatoes and deep fry again. This time for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place in a large bowl.

Sprinkle generously with salt, then "toss" the fries to mix the salt evenly. ( I suggest about 1 teaspoon of salt, maybe slightly more)

Serve hot, serve immediately, and enjoy! Depending upon the size of the potatoes, this recipe make about 2 medium sized fries.

Special Notes

Note¹ If you want more fries, double the recipe---but DON'T double the cooking oil. Just cook them in shifts, adding about 1/4 cup more Crisco® and 1 tablespoon lard for the second batch.

Note² If cooking for a minute or so, removing, and returning the fries to the oil seems like a pain in the ass, that's because it is. But it is an important "blanching" step required for that great taste.

Note³ For an easier clone of McDonald's french fries, you can use the frozen, pre-cut Ore-Ida® shoestring potatoes. Just cook them in the same combo of Crisco® and lard, skipping the "blanching" process. Cook them while still frozen for 6-10 minutes (depending upon the amount) until golden brown. They're good, but not nearly as accurate in taste and texture as the fresh recipe.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
KFC also claims to cook their chicken in a pressure cooker, so don't forget that.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
As far as the spices and stuff they use on the birds, I don't know how they get it. I can tell you where they get the chickens from however. They come from the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Petersburg, West Virginia. Petersburg is located in the eastern part of the state in Pendleton COunty.

new topics

top topics

join