It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest threat to the human race.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
what is the single greatest threat to the human race?

is it terrorists? #ing doubtful. Is it tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis? Not even close. Things like this have been happening since the planet had weather, y'know, and regardless of whatever gargantuan holes we're making in the ozone layer, I still say we're handling them better than we ever have. How about AIDS? That furious epidemic? We are a promiscuous bunch, are we not? Well, there, buddy, perhaps we are, but I find it hard to imagine some meager immune system disease leaving much of a dent in the world with as madly as we're reproducing nowadays. So what is the problem? People? Babies? Overpopulation? Now we're getting somewhere.

let's be serious for a second. We have no natural predators. We haven't been limited by nearby food sources for centuries, for as long as we've had legitimate transportation. I'm talking Oregon Trail ford-across-the-river type # here, folks. Nothing can stop us. We keep having children, and the earth really isn't getting any bigger, so we have a problem. What do we do? Impose a one-kid-per-household rule worldwide and slaughter the babies of families that refuse to comply? #! Come on now! That's not a plan, that's what China did because there is no plan. We need something a little more concrete, with a little more foresight, and we need it before it's a total #ing emergency. For instance, today.

I'm no expert, but personally, what I imagine must happen in order to avoid complete and utter destruction is a deliberate reworking of our genetics. We've evolved very specifically for longer than history can record; wired to survive conditions that're simply no longer the case, and survive we did. Now we're in the peachiest scenario possible, thriving like mother#ers, and evolution has no reason to intervene whatsoever. Yet on a biological level, we still operate as though some ridiculous miracles were required just to propagate our species. They aren't! We're propagating! Why exactly are men still engineered to # everything that walks? Why are women naturally inclined to have children? Why the # are we walking around like zombies at the mercy of our hormones, obeying our most basic impulses for the most basic reasons possible, despite our unparalleled reasoning capabilities? This is where evolution #ed up.

It's not a crucial mistake, mind you. And why is that? Well, it's like I always say: human beings are granted the luxury of defying nature. It's what sets us apart from the animals. Not our intelligence, not our walking the # around on two legs, not our double-jointed thumbs. We simply have the capacity to make realistic decisions. And under normal circumstances, this would be HOLY # fantastic news! Cuz, y'know, if people were unanimously concerned with the long-term consequences of plopping out some exponentially growing number of kids all over the #in place before the world ends up in shambles, they could just PRESTO!!! No more impulsive sexual practices. And if science deemed itself fit to do so, it could even eliminate the superfluous elements of our outdated genetics completely -- quell our hormones, retard our receptivity, etc. -- and we'd no longer be drawn to the impractical by unexplainable urges; we'd simply function however we wanted to function, unpolluted.

The problem with this line of possibility is pretty severe. Because let's face it: nobody gives a #. People don't give a # if they fall victim to primitive impulses. As a rule of thumb, they're too busy being concerned with having sex -- OMG SEX FEELS GOOD!!! -- and having children -- I LOVE MY KIDS!!11 -- to have any #ing foresight and realize, yes, congratulations! You feel this way for absolutely no reason.

so why doesn't science intervene? All it would take is a bit of revision on standard hospital practices to stunt the release of hormones in a newborn's brain. This can be done with yesterday's technology. And provided the procedure was done correctly, realistically, bizarre side effects would be null. Yes, it's quite possible men's dicks and balls would end up somewhat smaller. It's quite possible women's breasts would not be so full and round. I know this is sad, but I think it's an acceptable loss, and I'm sure science -- coming from a strictly logical standpoint -- would agree with me. Bitches would not be covered in body hair, dudes would not grow titties, and everything would be perfectly #ing fine. So why isn't this happening?

this brings me to my point. Science is ultimately bound by ethics. Ethics is a fine line. We can put a vaccine in a human being, but we won't replace a person's organs with mechanical apparatus immune to the same disease. Why is this? It's because the established view of what it means to be human is dangerously skewed. To be human does not require one's being bound by natural parameters. In fact, as I mentioned before, it is quite the opposite. Our ability to defy nature and forge our own evolution -- be it in small ways like abstaining from having children, or in dramatic ways like imposing altered genes upon the whole of our species -- is the very attribute which defines us as people. Makes sense, right? So why the # is this ethical standpoint so warped? We're not hurting anybody, are we? What's the problem?

I'll tell you, because yes, I do know the answer. Christianity is the problem. Christianity is the single greatest threat to the human race. Why? Because America is the greatest power in the world. Do you really think something as drastic as a self-imposed step up the evolutionary ladder could ever be possible without America's approval? I think not. Do you really think American values will ever stray far from its most popular interpretation of god's wishes?
# no. Christianity is the foundation of America. America was initially populated so these pilgrim mother#ers would have a place to practice their religion. The constitution is based on the #ing bible. Regardless of your stance on the matter, it's likely you or your neighbor share many of these values due simply to social bias and psychological upbringing. Christianity is our entire culture, and offshoots of Christianity -- which include a majority of prominent faiths, btw -- lead to offshoots, or cousins, of American culture, in more ways than you realize. And for that reason, there are many who feel similarly about ethics, and specifically, posthumanism, without even understanding why. What does that mean? It probably means we are #ed.

The bottom line is this. The bible foretells of end times, in which -- by largely popular interpretation -- a political ruler unites the world, pushing only forward, eliminating religious sanctions from our development as a species. As the scenario progresses, the mark of the beast is imposed, preventing all who refuse to align themselves to the cause from attending public functions, having bank accounts, et cetera. They're like fugitives, and eventually are hunted the # down and exterminated, in the name of change. Personally, this is what I believe must happen. I wouldn't normally vouch for the killing of however many million people, but look! They're not gonna give up! If we don't wipe them off the face of the planet, they may very well migrate elsewhere and start an America all over again! Seriously, dude, there is only one possible solution. I just hope it somehow manages to happen before all of humanity is doomed.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Overpopulation is a huge threat once you get past politics and the like which could lead to mass genocide on a worldwide scale for whatevers left of resources. I myself talked to a friend online and shared my ideals on it and gave theories on how to solve the hunger problem for all of North and South America, which was in NO WAY based around corporations. Our only hope in the long run is to expand to other planets, make super gates, learn how to make worm holes to other areas, bend time and space to get somewhere faster without aging and not worrying about the friends you left behind aging since you removed yourself from time. If you declare people can have only 1-2 children a war WILL break out over it. If you try and kill part of the population: WW3 will start in the drop of a hat. The only way to solve this in the long run is space as I have said, if we fail to terraform planets or turn moons into giant spaceships to ferry our populations around we are DEAD. Simple as that...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It sounds to me like you think our genetics are the problem, but you blame Christianity. Let me tell you this. Christianity does a whole lot for this world that is tangible. Churches help out people in their communities, and Christian organizations go all over the world to house and feed those in need...

Many people like to call themselves Christian and fit in, they like to polarize around certain hot issues so they don't risk losing that precious label. It's the ones that go around making the world a better place and helping people that make Christianity what it is. It's politicians that exploit the value of Christianity and use it as a tool, or people who would rather keep the label than think for themselves, that are dead weight.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Did you sign up merely for the purpous of claming that one religion has spawned and will fulfill the doom of man?

I tell ya, it's posts like these, a new members first post, laying blame to an entire sect of humanity for the inevitable cause of deathly fate - makes me jot your nik down, so as to not bother with any more rhetoric ....... without so much as even a damn hello to us.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Religion and Christianity are not problem, but rather people who misuse them for their own selfish gain.

Look at the televangelists in the US, and then read on what kind of homes they're living in, what kind of car they're driving, and so on. Nothing they do reflects what Jesus (pbuh) taught. Jesus would be very ashamed of them for using people's faiths for their monetary gain.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I think one of the greatest threats to mankind are those advocating the destruction of millions of people and of a religion itself because they see it as a major problem.

As far as threats to eliminating all humans on the planet, natural disasters would have to rank higher unless we end up nuking ourselves completely off the face of the Earth.

One large asteroid hits this planet and then boom, over 99 percent of humans will die. It will eventually happen unless we somehow are able to stop it.

As far as the population growing too fast goes, if a society can't support their population, they end up starving to death. As far as reducing the growth rate, in developed countries almost every single one has a declining birth rate and this is or will likely cause problems for their economies and retirees.

As far as advocating giving infants something that alters their hormones at birth, I think that is like Hitler advocating we would all be better off if there was only one race and the guy at the top gets to pick the one. I disagree with that thinking.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
IMHO, the biggest danger to humanity are those "secret societies" that merely think that they're Illuminated. What I mean is that True Illumination means that you'd want to see all of humanity illuminated; Therefore, you'd want to teach the truth to all of humanity so that everyone has a stake in solving all of our problems.
For example, the world overpopulation problem could be solved if everyone fully understands the problem & voluntarily limits reproduction.

Yet, these "Illuminated Groups" resort to treachery, deception, limiting access to information & conspiratorial plans to feed their own lust for power...Don't sound really "illuminated", do they?

Originally posted by ohyes
The bible foretells of end times, in which -- by largely popular interpretation -- a political ruler unites the world, pushing only forward, eliminating religious sanctions from our development as a species...

IMHO, the Book of Revelations is not a future set in stone, but the visions of a warning of what will happen if we don't "grow up & mature" as a species in time to prevent it.

Originally posted by Misfit
I tell ya, it's posts like these, a new members first post, laying blame to an entire sect of humanity for the inevitable cause of deathly fate...

Just so you don't pick on me next for "blaming an entire sect of humanity", look at the Members List...I'm easy to find, on the first page at position "lucky" #13. I've been in ATS nearly as long as there was an ATS.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Man is the bringer of his own destruction

In Pace
resi

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Vekar while I very much desire to see the human race become free of dependency on one single planet around one single star, I do not think mass colonization of other worlds is a workable solution even if we had the technology. We need to learn to solve our overbreeding problem before we export it to other worlds.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The biggest threat to mankind is the stupidity gene that we all carry to some extent.

I'm better than you because my skin is _________.

My God is better than your God.

Do what I say or I'll punish you.

etc., etc.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hey, in the thread creator's defense, at least he didn't go this tired old route:

"Greatest threat to the human race.....is George W. Bush"

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
With all of us being poisoned by things like pharmaceuticals, aspartame, MSG, and toxic waste, I thought it would be "mindless corporations." Oh but you latch on to christianity in general, when you look need to look at it practiced as the master taught as the most benign force on the earth.

The problem is administrative not with people in general. What if you said the problem was with another faith? What if it were with the banks? What if it were the military industrial complex? (Same thing)

No it is not Christianity, but who administers any social organization. Albeit you have a good point, it does not isolate the actual problem, which plagues all organizations initially setting out to do good. They universally get hijacked in their benign phase by money grubbing profiteers. Put Christianity to your own private test independent of organizations, hucksters, and liars. Try living it, in other words walk a mile in those moccasins before being so critical. Also distinguish between the practice of something, and the administration of it as an economic and political entity.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by SkipShipman]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Fear.

Plain and simple, look no further. Fear is the greatest threat to humanity.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Coming earth changes combined with the return of our past alien masters. Our bigger problem is human elites desparate to protect themselves selling the rest of us out to the aliens.

top topics

join