It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok Say It Were Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ok since it has become clear that we as humans must become content with our inability to surpass the laws of physics, and go faster then the speed of light, another form of space travel must be devised. I purpose the generational space ship idea, kind of like a eldar craftworld if anyof you true nerds know what im talking about. A ship devised not to go fast but to become a second earth essentially and travel generations of humans to there destination. Now what i wish if in this thread we could discuss what the ship would need and how it would work. For example how would we create water or how would the propulsion system would work, a solar sail or some type of engine. Just want to see what you guys would put in this type of ship.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well if you're going to build a ship like that it might as well be BIG. So you'd want space for some biodomes to grow some of the food.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
to begin with i would insert a decent cloaking device, some good weapons!!
Ohh thats it : i would just build Star Trek's "enterprise" to detail (with some mods)

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thinking that more something like the deathstar would be appropriate... Or even better we could hollow out the moon and use the interior as home while using the thermal energy from the core as a power source...

Oh wait thats right, aliens already did that and use it still as a space based observation platform =)

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Awesome topic.

I'm opposed to the gigantic vehicle. Nothing TOO big as as to help with the whole speed thing. I'd say something large enough to house about 7 families, each family starting off with no more than 4 members. The only problem with the generational scheme (if I udnerstand the concept) is that out of those families, someone is eventually going to have to start having babies.

So maybe it SHOULD be a large craft then. Hmmm...awesome idea, but it'll never be done. Besides, the way around breaking light speed is figuring out how to accomplish time travel...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
well i do not believe that is possible, because once u have the ability to bend and alter the laws of our universe u defy what it is based on and i believe it would destroy itself, i once heard the theory that a infinite number of universe's exist each with its own set of laws. It is there inability to sustain themselves with the laws they were given that causes them to collapse. If that is so then we would colapse when we first discovered a way around it. A long way of saying i dont think time travel is possible

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
There are asteroids that are small as football fields on up in size. We could easily build our large ship out of one. It would also likely have fuel of some sort if we look for the right asteroids. Next would be the engines which could be plasma or Ion in nature.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It's a good idea.

Amuk started a thread on it a couple of years ago..
You might find some ideas in that thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join