It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Rays Linked to Global Warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
According to a recent study, global warming may be affected by the amount of cosmic rays bombarding earth.
It seems that cosmic rays can increase the formation of clouds, which help cool the earth by shielding it from solar radiation. We are now apparently in a down cycle of cosmic rays, which means less cloud formation and thus a warmer earth.

Article

According to a theory proposed a decade ago, when a star explodes far away in the Milky Way, cosmic rays high-speed atomic particles go through the Earths atmosphere and produce ions and free electrons.

The released electrons act as catalysts and accelerate the formation of small clusters of sulfuric acid and water molecules, the building blocks of clouds. Therefore, cosmic rays would increase cloud cover on Earth, reflecting sunlight and keeping the planet relatively cool.

Of course, some scientists and environmentalists will disagree. Why? Perhaps because this theory would take people as culprits out of the global warming equation.
And if we are not to blame, and there is no way for us to control the amount of cosmic rays hitting the earth, what will all the global warming alarmists have left to harass us about?

I'm sure the first attempt to debunk this theory will say that "we still need to try and do something!". But here's another theory I have for those that would make that statement; "What if - as some have predicted earlier - not for the cosmic ray warming effect on our climate, we would actually be starting another ice age?" That's right. Maybe we should just leave the natural processes well enough alone.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Strange:
english.farsnews.com...

Looks like a similar news story.
ED: The cosmic ray or high speed particles coming from every angle
in space was a source of energy devised quite awhile ago and laid to
rest with Tesla.
We just can't have all the electricity we need in our basements now
can we and be independent of the cartels and illuminate.

[edit on 10/10/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Cosmic rays? Will this mean we will all turn into members of the Fantastic Four or something? Pfft! Knowing my luck, I'll turn into the Invisible Woman or something.

I don't understand why this should change anything though. There's far, far too many people concerned as to whether humans are causing all this or not as if that's the only thing that matters. Surely it matters whatever the cause: whether it's cosmic rays, cars, farting cows or the 10,000 Indian and Chinese factories that were built in the last 10 minutes.

Perhaps it's slightly different for people in Britain but for the past 25 years or so, I've been under the impression that global warming actually means 'ice age' for us on these Isles due to the effect it will have on the Atlantic conveyor belt.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What happened to global warming?

news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

join