It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO photograph comparison from NASA's space shuttle Atlantis.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Much to my amazement today whilst scouring the thousands of UFO web sites, I happend across a picture, which has a remarkable resemblance to the picture I have taken.

My picture
(Scroll down this post to see this image enlarged as I have already zoomed in on it)

This following shot was taken in space from aboard the space shuttle Atlantis!
Atlantis picture

Please let me know what you think, It is particularly the similarity in shape that I want to point out so you will need to zoom in to compare the two shapes against each other.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have to agree with you... they both look like unidentifiable blurry blotches/blobs/smudges.

I guess that is the case with all ufo pictures... if the pictures weren't all blurry then they would be pictures of identified flying objects.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Sorry I should have posted the pics instead of the links to make it a little easier to compare.

Origional pic:

With zoom and filter:

Nasa Image:

With zoom:

Hope that helps a little.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have a guess what that "Atlantis UFO" picture is. It's a huge satellite.

Otherwise known as "the moon".

Seriously. The picture is fairly fuzzy and low resolution. Consider also the operation of the camera (I guess video).

Remember that it has to deal with some kind of exposure control---and the brightness of the Earth, seen so close up to the orbit, is much much much brighter than moonlight.

So it has to adjust the exposure to the average, to get the Earth on the right brightness, hence the far off moon is dimmed down to a fuzzy blob.

By the way, this is the same reason that you don't see stars on many of the (film) photographs taken by astronauts on the Moon's surface. Because the surface is sufficiently bright (very bright, in fact!) the exposure time on the camera is very low, and so the much dimmer stars can't be seen.

Astronauts probably couldn't see most of them until the overall brightness went down (sun sets) so their night vision could adjust.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The moon would appear larger than that. They both do look similar. At first without the enlargement I thought they didn't look the same, just two smudges, but once zoomed in it's a different story. THe colors are similar, and the general shape is the same too, but the bottom half looks just like the object in your photo. Notice the sharp pointy thing on the bottom of both objects.

What those objects are are any one's guess. They could be terresteral, extraterrestrial, conventional(some sort of optical thing). DOn't know. I however like the UFO idea best.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thanks BASSPLYR.

I like the UFO idea best too and yes it surely is too small to be the moon.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Why do you think it is too small?

It looks about the right size to me.

Moon isn't that big in angle.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I know what your saying about the moon on an angle thing, but it still looks too small to me.
But, notice how the objects both are the same color, both have identicle pointy cones on the bottom of the object. THey both seem to have a concave mid-section that meet in a mid lateral crevase looking manner. And finally notice that the objeccts both appear to have a round dome like structure on the top.

THey both look similar but I'm not saying that they are ufos. Just the same phenomina. Could be an optical trick, but I don't think that it's the moon. THe moon would, in my opinion, appear different in both shots, because in one the light is traveling through several miles of earths atmoshpere. THe other the light is traveling through only a few feet of atmoshpher inside the shuttle or no atmosphere at all. I realize the second photo shows the object near earths horizon but I don't think thats interfering anywhere near as much as it would if it were traveling down through the atmopsphere and to the earths surface. Because they look similar in both instances I feel that they could be objects or phenomina that are physically closer than the moon, maybe only a few miles away at most.

I still want to say UFO but I unfortunantly havent ruled out optical trick, but ask yourself would the exact same optical anommaly happen on two probably very different cameras, under totally different circumstances? It's possible but...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Definitely not the moon. looks absolutely nothing like the moon.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yeah even if you dimmed down the moon so that the brighter earth could still be in the photo it still wouldn't look the same in the first photo taken on earth.

We should ask the guy who took the first photo if he did indeed play with the shutters to make the shot come out right and the moon inadvertantly got dimmed down. I personaly don't think thats what happened. If that were the case than the image would be blurrier than than the one from space due to all that atmosphere and much more intense light. But from what I can tell is the second pic is blurrier. Could be the equipment used in the shuttle, could be because the object is in the twilight of space near Earths shadow and that there is less light and it appears dimmer. But it doesn't support the moon theory. I understand if you dimmed down the moon the albedo could appear to give it it's identicle shape in both objects, but....

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I was only talking about the NASA image.

If you notice further the "bright half" of the satellite is pointing up, like the bright half of the Earth which is plainly visible. I.e. they are both illuminated by the same Sun.

I have no idea what the other one is about but I suspect a photographic glitch, and not the moon.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have been scanning through different Earth/Moon pictures, and yes it is entirely possible that it could be the moon, I mean anything is possible when you think about blurry photography, even from NASA.

I just feel that the shape is very similar.

new topics

top topics

join