It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq May Control Security In a Year, General Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Iraq Gen. George Casey believes that Iraqi security forces will be able to operate independently and take responsibility for the security of Iraq. He is expecting US troops heading home within a timeframe of 12 to 18 months. Earlier this week British Foreign Office Minister Kim Howells announced that British troops are expected to leave Iraq within a year.

www.ctv.ca
Iraqi forces should be able to take command of security in the country within the next 12 to 18 months, the U.S. military commander in Iraq said Tuesday.

"I very strongly believe that we need to continue to reduce our forces as the Iraqis continue to improve because we need to get out of their way," Gen. George Casey said Tuesday at a rare joint conference with the U.S. Ambassador in Baghdad.

"The Iraqis are getting better, their leaders are feeling more responsible for the security in Iraq, and they want to take the reins.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, I am amazed to see officials making such statements. How could you expect a newly trained Iraqi Security Force to take over command within a year, when experienced coalition troops already have troubles keeping the situation under control.

A second Vietnam... much worse though.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.bloomberg.com
freeinternetpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
After the UK also the US: to leave Iraq within 12-18 months

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I would like nothing more than to believe this is true, but given the level of violence in Iraq, how can anyone say when the Iraqis can take control?

Can anyone say "October Surprise"?

new topics

join