It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Iraq's former finance minister alleged in a US television report aired Sunday that up to $800 million meant to equip the Iraqi army had been stolen from the government by former officials through fraudulent arms deals.
The former minister Ali Allawi told CBS' "60 Minutes" that the arms fraud is "one of the biggest thefts in history" and that corrupt former Iraqi officials are now "running around the world hiding and scurrying around."
Most of the fraudulent arms purchases were allegedly made during the term of former interim Prime Minster Ayad Allawi, who took office after occupation authorities turned over sovereignty to Iraqis on June 28, 2004. When new Defense Minister Saadoun al-Dulaimi took office in May 2005, an investigation was opened into several alleged cases of corruption.
But Sheik Sabah al-Saadi, chairman of the Iraqi Parliament's Integrity Commission, told the AP said he had written to the Iraqi Foreign Ministry on Sunday, asking it to contact Interpol to detain all those involved in the defense corruption case, including former Defense Minister Hazim Shaalan.
He said he had documents that show the theft of $2.2 billion dollars from the time of Saddam Hussein's ouster in 2003 until now.
Originally posted by DenyAllKnowledge
Who'd have thought that such unscrupulous and downright caddish individuals could've wormed their way into the virtuous and noble realm of the Arms Trade!
Hardly surprising really, is it.
Originally posted by Mdv2
Has already been discussed: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Though the amount stated in your source exceeds the initial amount of 500 million USD.