It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MoD banns tv crews from Afgan war fronts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I saw this in the newspaper review last night on newsnight but cant remember what paper it was in,any one help?

talk about censership,they didnt like the tv crew comments so they feel fit to ban them,

thought the MOD head more sence than this,i can see there point im just shocked they have gone ahead with it,Im all behind are boys out there i dont want to see their moral dented,why do this tho,and then send prince "the gaffer"philip out there,who wants to see him?

any one find a link to it?

mod edit, for clarity in title

[edit on 26-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yup, the US and britain are for sure the tortch bairers of freedom of speach. This is them leading the way for afghanistan.

The war must be going very bad for them that they are trying to cover it up.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
if this is true it was only a matter of time before it happened. when something isn't going good for you, you don't want people to see it.. do you? now the govt can control all 'credible' info that their citizens recieve about the 'war on terror". another banner day for..democracy.

the argument that it is for the news crews protection.....does not stand..

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
hi there i saw it on newsnight on bbc2,
according to the reporter she says they were kicked out because they were not exactly truthfull in their reporting...i will try to find a link for you

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
ok here is a link from the telegraph newspaper:

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2006/10/24/umod.xml

it turns out they were broadcasting reports that showed the faces of injured soldiers

snoopyuk

[edit on 25-10-2006 by snoopyuk]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
Yup, the US and britain are for sure the tortch bairers of freedom of speach. This is them leading the way for afghanistan.

The war must be going very bad for them that they are trying to cover it up.

Yeah ok syrian, nice opinion coming from a person who ran from her country.

My guess is that they stopped them going because the public does not like to see thier soldiers being killed, also who has to protect journalists that go over there? The afghani insurgents? Noo the good old british army, tommy has to do ANOTHER job that the civilains cant handle themselves.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yeah I agree with Syrian Sister completely on this one. I'm so glad people like her make their points peacefully and effectively.

1. I just wonder how many more journalists will die without the protection of the military?
2. What’s it like to go covering news behind the Taliban’s lines? I wonder what this does for Tony Blair and George Bush’s side of the story (then again they obviously don’t want us to see it; which is sad but I guess is down to them and their paid army).
3. Why can’t we give soldiers video camera phones to show us stuff (after the fighting has finished). We need to a sort of Rogue News Agency which will pay big money to troops for doing this (and therefore keeping the voting public at home well informed).

OFF TOPIC…

Originally posted by: Devilwasp

Yeah ok syrian, nice opinion coming from a person who ran from her country.

Devilwasp what a nasty thing to say? You see there is this thing called “a point”. You’re supposed to argue “a point” (whatever point that is) not launch comments verging on personal insults.

Then again perhaps you genuinely fail to understand that when people “run away” from their country its usually because they’re pretty sure they’re dead meat. In such instances anything you do is actually a bonus.
Now you might not believe this so I suggest you do a little test. Go over to Syria as a tourist and rent a hotel or apartment. Then post a lot of cartoons insulting the regime and leave your apartments address. Now you might not believe it’s a good idea to leave the country, you might believe you will do more for “goodness” by staying inside. Well you’re a tourists, so maybe you might. But I suggest you try it before you criticise other people for “running away” from their country.
Unlike some you will (in all probability) only be facing a trip back to United States (concrete cells will be a be a free but not a permanent addition to the holiday), as for torture or even the death penalty well its unlikely to happen but if it did at least you can say "you've been their done that". (Well unless your a dead atheists I guess).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
hey alex, its Fi, i cant find you, i apologise to everyone on this forum who dont understand how vital it is we get our alex back but theres a whole bunch of wiltshire-ites who have no idea wots going on in the middle east right now... WE NEED ALEX...

please call alex, leave a number coz i lost my phone and i cant get hold of you, i am beggin the admin not to delete my message til hes seen it

or my house will never be the same again

[edit on 25-10-2006 by agamemmenon7000]

Mod Note: You Have a U2U- Click Here.

Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
sorry i dont understand forums, alex please read message hidden in my first post... will hopefully hear from you very very soon hun xx

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
[quiote]according to the reporter she says they were kicked out because they were not exactly truthfull in their reporting...i will try to find a link for you

LOL, you mean they wheren't reporting the version of the "truth" you want people to hear?

ridiculous.

devilwasp

It seems you are incapable of a decent arguement since the only come backs to my posts you can ever come up with is "your not in syria".
What is your point exactly? That Syria is just as lacking in freedom of speech as America and britian?
Well then yes, i agree with you. Indeed the US are just as bad as Syria in that regard. But unlike the US, Syria doesn't go around claiming it is the hub of freedom and democracy for the world, nor does Syria go around attacking other countries claiming that it is exporting freedom of speech and the like.
So forgive me for pointng out the US's blatent hypocracy.

And just for your information, i didn't run from anything, my parents migrated to australia, but we frequently go back to syria on holiday, and i'm definetly moving there as soon as possible.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   

devilwasp

It seems you are incapable of a decent arguement since the only come backs to my posts you can ever come up with is "your not in syria".
What is your point exactly? That Syria is just as lacking in freedom of speech as America and britian?
Well then yes, i agree with you. Indeed the US are just as bad as Syria in that regard. But unlike the US, Syria doesn't go around claiming it is the hub of freedom and democracy for the world, nor does Syria go around attacking other countries claiming that it is exporting freedom of speech and the like.
So forgive me for pointng out the US's blatent hypocracy.

And just for your information, i didn't run from anything, my parents migrated to australia, but we frequently go back to syria on holiday, and i'm definetly moving there as soon as possible.

Devilwasp has a point...why did your parents flee your home country if it is so "wonderful?"...and you think the UK/US is just as bad as Syria?! OMG...you gotta be kidding me. Your parents moved to a country that was founded by the UK!!!! I imagine if you had actually grown up in Syria, like your parents did, you would have a completely different viewpoint.

The main problem with current wars waged by the US is the damn media. You shouldnt have a group of cameras over there watching US soldiers fight. It is only fuel for the enemy.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Devilwasp has a point...why did your parents flee your home country if it is so "wonderful?"...and you think the UK/US is just as bad as Syria?!

LOL, your trying to insult me with this, i'm starting to feel like it's primary school again, we didn't "flee", my father just got a better job offer.

No i don't think it's as bad, i think it's WORSE than syria. And it's your people who are suggestion it is just as bad, because whenever your lack of freedom of speech is mentioned all you can do is say that syria is the same.

The main problem with current wars waged by the US is the damn media. You shouldnt have a group of cameras over there watching US soldiers fight. It is only fuel for the enemy

Yea your right, damned freedom of speech, damned truth, it's making your job of spreading freedom of speech soo hard.
These camera's, broadcasting your warcrimes to the world, it's such a big problem, you should really place some controlls on it otherwise the enemies ideas will be vindicated, and people will start waking up to the truth and begin supporting them.
Crush freedom of speach, do it for the sake of freedom!

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Arr thanks for the links guys,

I think its a risk the journos have to take.ITN reporter terry Lloyd was hardly safer with the army!

I saw a good bbc report on the taliban lastnight, where he met taliban leaders as he did 10 years ago when they came to power.it seem they only want to get rid of out soldiers they hardly seemed aposed to him tryin to tell their story.I thought they were quite resonable.

as the old saying goes wars are won with secrets.

I remember the white house getting pissed cos the republican guard just had to watch cnn to see where the enemy was.

and soldiers already are filming with their phones,the only video of actual fighting all comes from them.long may it continue.

people died for this right,so we can atleast raise a voice when its thretend

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
Devilwasp what a nasty thing to say? You see there is this thing called “a point”. You’re supposed to argue “a point” (whatever point that is) not launch comments verging on personal insults.

This is the person who calls the army medical corp "baby killers".
Lol liberal your new to this site, wait a few months then you'll notice some members CANT obey those laws and ruin the board.

Then again perhaps you genuinely fail to understand that when people “run away” from their country its usually because they’re pretty sure they’re dead meat. In such instances anything you do is actually a bonus.

Then surely a person wouldnt be too happy with thier country, yes no?

Now you might not believe this so I suggest you do a little test. Go over to Syria as a tourist and rent a hotel or apartment. Then post a lot of cartoons insulting the regime and leave your apartments address. Now you might not believe it’s a good idea to leave the country, you might believe you will do more for “goodness” by staying inside. Well you’re a tourists, so maybe you might. But I suggest you try it before you criticise other people for “running away” from their country.

Unfortunatly my country has enough problems without me needing to run off on some "crusade" for another country.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Well could this Headlines be the Reason?

German Soliders Pose with Human Skulls in Afganistan

NATO Bombs Kill 50 Civilians in Afganistan

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

They are just "Protecting" the Journalists.

Surrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee...

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   

LOL, your trying to insult me with this, i'm starting to feel like it's primary school again, we didn't "flee", my father just got a better job offer.

A) You've edited that quote.
B) I said nothing about your parents.

No i don't think it's as bad, i think it's WORSE than syria. And it's your people who are suggestion it is just as bad, because whenever your lack of freedom of speech is mentioned all you can do is say that syria is the same.

Right ok obviosly you've never lived in the UK then, compared to what I've seen of syria I would prefer good old UK.

Yea your right, damned freedom of speech, damned truth, it's making your job of spreading freedom of speech soo hard.
These camera's, broadcasting your warcrimes to the world, it's such a big problem, you should really place some controlls on it otherwise the enemies ideas will be vindicated, and people will start waking up to the truth and begin supporting them.
Crush freedom of speach, do it for the sake of freedom!

Lol More like who has to protect these people when the fighting gets too bad?
Go on answer that, who will eventually be told : "You should have protected them"?
Our warcrimes? Last time I checked we werent commiting crimes in afghanistan and neither is the UN force there.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Your own gun fire? the number of journalists you've shot stone dead .... They need protection against you not from you.

A journalist on their own is much safer than an "inbedwith" journo in humvee with a bunch of soldiers, it's like standing on a target.

"
A) You've edited that quote.
B) I said nothing about your parents."

i just pasted what you wrote.

Right ok obviosly you've never lived in the UK then, compared to what I've seen of syria I would prefer good old UK.

obviously, you've never lived in Syria.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
as per usual this topic has ended up with the usual people turning it into a slanging match....sad

not a single person has even discussed the actual report i provide a link for .

if you were to have read it ,you would have noticed it is nothing to do with who wants who in the country reporting only what they want.
it is all to do with the fact that they showed on several occasions the injured or dead soldiers faces. under our laws you cant do that ....and obviously it isnt v nice for their familes to see their dead or injured faces paraded across their tv.

snoopyuk

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
No snuppyuk its about the government using a small violation in censorship laws to justify total censorship. It’s about saying this offence is so great “we don’t care if journalists die at our or our enemies hands because they don’t have our protection”, and it’s about them saying “this filming act was so bad we no longer want you covering our story from our side of the line” translation = “go and report your story from behind the enemies lines instead”

I agree it can’t be very nice for the families (or in particular those charged with army recruitment) if people are seeing the sacrifice of our soldiers in Afghanistan. However nothing stops them preventing something from being broadcast ever again within the U.K (and the same applies to other countries with similar laws).
I suppose it could make its way to YouTube; but as an enemy of censorship I'm glad the military will be creating a greater demand for our soldier’s stories (from their mobile phones).

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Your own gun fire? the number of journalists you've shot stone dead .... They need protection against you not from you.

Lol yes and can you tell the diffrence between an afghani "soldier" and a camera man at 200 yards?
I cant , unless I use binoculars. At 500 yards the person is little more than a small V in the distance, at 200 you can tell its a person but not much after that.
[quotep
A journalist on their own is much safer than an "inbedwith" journo in humvee with a bunch of soldiers, it's like standing on a target.

Lol funny the MOD does not use humvees, they use modified land rover defenders (which btw are a class machine.)

i just pasted what you wrote.

Oh did you? Allow me to qoute myself then.

Yeah ok syrian, nice opinion coming from a person who ran from her country

Now if you meant, XphilesPhan you might have been correct.
Do NOT pin attacks on me that I did not commit.

obviously, you've never lived in Syria.

True but then not living in the UK has never stopped you insulting it...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join