It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phones And Male Infertility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A study done by the Cleveland Clinic shows that men who use there cell phones the most had a poorer sperm quality then those who use the cell phone the least. The researchers have said that there might be a connection between male infertility and cell phone use. The lowest sperm counts happen to be in the men who used cell phones more the four hours a day, and the sperm count seemed to go down with increasing cell phone use. Although the difference in numbers is still said to be not significant. A link between cell phone use and reduced sperm counts have been suggested before. These findings are preliminary and should not be misinterpreted as showing proof that cell phone use is a cause of male infertility.

www.andnetwork.com
In addition to undergoing tests to determine sperm quantity and quality, the men answered questions about their cell phone habits.

Most of the men had sperm counts that were well above the 20 million sperm per milliliter level that is considered the lower limit of normal. But the more the men in the study used their phones, the lower their sperm count tended to be.

The average sperm count among men who said they did not use cell phones was 86 million per milliliter (mL), compared with 76 million/mL for men who used cell phones less than two hours a day and 71 million/mL for men who used cell phones two to four hours a day.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

People have said many different things about cell phones. From the very obvious such as being able to track and always know your location, to reading your thoughts. I had not heard of possibility causing infertility before. Talking on a cell phone does use a transmitter which if held to your head does radiate your brain. So I do not see where it will radiate the reproductive system unless you wear your phone on your hip. Some business radios in the past have been shown to be at to great a risk for causing brain damage so changes have been made before. So if more studies are done maybe we will see a change in cell phones.

Related News Links:
www.rxpgnews.com
mobilitytoday.com
www.thisisl ondon.co.uk
news.xinhuanet.com

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Ahhh,so thats a nice side effect to our tracking devices..sorry i mean "phones".
How nice,now the companies can curtail population growth whislt tracking us all at the same time.Nice.
Theres a bonus for them...

[edit on 24-10-2006 by Silcone Synapse]

apc

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
They would need counts prior to even beginning cell phone use and would need to be able to show that their lifestyles did not change in any other manner beyond extended cell phone use time. In other words, when you've got someone who is yackin away on the phone for 4 hours a day, they probably don't have a lot of other time for things like exercise and... well... sex. Lethargy and decreased testosterone could easily be the cause of the lower numbers. There is not enough information in this study to come to any solid conclusion.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The studies themselves say there's nothing concrete. The real fun begins when they find out that not only does it decrease sperm count, but maybe it also causes birth defects. Class action law suits filed against cell phone companies would skyrocket.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The story does say that the findings are very pelemeniry, but it is interesting to note that it also said that there study is not the first one to come to the same conclusion.
I really do hope that there will not be any class action law suites, but to early to tell right now.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well then, I am thankful I have not been able to have a cell phone in one piece for longer than a month and gave up after my third. Do I really need a celly? I do not feel so. What if I had one of those PC phones though and I only talk on it like once a day? I would just use it to browse the net while I am on the move and take notes throughout the day.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I thus far have not had a cell phone eiher.
Although be it I may have one some day. I dont see it to be real necessary, but I do see a need for just have one with you when on daily commuts for emergency use and things like that.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I agree with apc.

The fundamental part of a scientific study in comparisons is to make sure that all things are equal EXCEPT what you're testing. We do not know if all things were equal in this case. Like any biological measure or function there is significant variation among people. True there is a range known as "normal" but even those ranges can be fairly wide.

The proper way to do this would have been to take a group of men who use the phone the same amount AND have equal counts. Take half of them and have them double their cell phone usage, and take half of them and have them half their usage. At this point you have a study in which all factors are equal.

[edit on 10-25-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

The proper way to do this would have been to take a group of men who use the phone the same amount AND have equal counts. Take half of them and have them double their cell phone usage, and take half of them and have them half their usage. At this point you have a study in which all factors are equal.

[edit on 10-25-2006 by Djarums]

And a control group of men who have never used cell phones too.
But i am thinking that all such research has been done in secret already,and is not likely to be repeated in the public arena.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well, I personally would like to take a deeper look at the full report, because this is something that I believe most of us would be able to either back up or debunk based on the method of the study's approach. We would have to know the sperm counts before the test was initiated with a constant. Then expose the men to the variable, in this case, the cell phones, and wait to see. We have no idea what other variables were put out during this experiment.

Were the men on cell phones more likely to be social? Would they meet more often with coworkers/friends for drinks? Were the people with high cell phone use more likely to be stressed with pressures that required the constant use for a cell phone?

Far too many questions unless we can view the study. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about having children.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It was a statistical study, not an empirical one. There is a correlation between high cell phone use and low sperm count, etc. Correlation is not causation.

Read the article.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
my nagging question is..

What are the men doing with there cellphones when they ARENT talking on them..

O_O

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
It was a statistical study, not an empirical one. There is a correlation between high cell phone use and low sperm count, etc. Correlation is not causation.

Exactly...this proves nothing, there are many variables that of course aren't known/controlled as in an actual experiment.

Maybe the guys who have to spend so much time talking on the cell phone are just doing it to make up for other areas they are lacking in...
Chances are if you sit around talking on the cell phone all day, you aren't going to be doing a lot else. Cell phones and brain cancer on the other hand...

new topics

top topics

join