It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crystal Skulls...any good new information?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
any good links on "crystal skulls" that I may have over looked. my friend just found out what they are and now he wants to know more about them. Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited title to reflect subject

[edit on 24-10-2006 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Do a Boolean search located at the top of the page.

I was going to list the threads but there is over 30 topics listed.

ATS participants are fairly thorough in uncovering most, if not all, the information
available for most subjects of interest.

I'm sure you will find some new information in there somewhere.

Incidentally, I believe some information was uncovered that had proven the Crystal Skulls to be somewhat fraudulent

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wikipedia is always a good place to start ...

Crystal Skulls

[edit on 24-10-2006 by thebox]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
ATS search results for crystal skulls.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I've had a little look through the information that is already in ATS on the subject of crystal skulls and couldn't find very much contemporary material. So, I think it might be a good idea to allow this thread to continue in the hopes that new information could be brought into this discussion.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here's a link which contains some very nice pictures of some of the Crystal Skulls

I'd take the written material on that link with a huge grain of crystal salt, though.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
thanks for the good info!

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
All 5 have been found in Mexico and Central America in Mayan places. I don't know exactly where the story that 13 exist came from but back in the 70s, as now, they don't know how they were created since there are no tool marks or signs of abrasives used.

The one in London was under scrutany then and the conjecture was that they are so precisely done that they are basically an impossibility. Impossible because the task was immense and the fact that no tools existing in the Mayan era could have produced the skull. Cutting work was done against the grain of the crystal also, making it that much more difficult. It was surmised then that a very low strength polishing abrasive was used with plenty of elbow grease but over a timespan of several generations- perhaps several hundred years. Crystal is just under diamonds in its hardness so the immense investiture of time demanded to create a skull of this quality with no modern tools is remarkable

The dating then was set at 200,000 years old for the one that now resides in the British Museum.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cruizer
Cutting work was done against the grain of the crystal also, making it that much more difficult. It was surmised then that a very low strength polishing abrasive was used with plenty of elbow grease but over a timespan of several generations- perhaps several hundred years. Crystal is just under diamonds in its hardness so the immense investiture of time demanded to create a skull of this quality with no modern tools is remarkable

Backing up what Cruizer says are these two links...

www.world-mysteries.com...

The Mitchell-Hedges family loaned the skull to Hewlett-Packard Laboratories for extensive study in 1970. Art restorer Frank Dorland oversaw the testing at the Santa Clara, California, computer equipment manufacturer, a leading facility for crystal research. The HP examinations yielded some startling results.

Researchers found that the skull had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Modern crystal sculptors always take into account the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece is bound to shatter -- even with the use of lasers and other high-tech cutting methods.

To compound the strangeness, HP could find no microscopic scratches on the crystal which would indicate it had been carved with metal instruments. Dorland's best hypothesis for the skull's construction is that it was roughly hewn out with diamonds, and then the detail work was meticulously done with a gentle solution of silicon sand and water. The exhausting job -- assuming it could possibly be done in this way -- would have required man-hours adding up to 300 years to complete.

I also found this compilations of excerps from a book "MYSTERIES OF THE CRYSTAL SKULLS REVEALED" by Sandra Bowen, F. R. 'Nick' Nocerino & Joshua Shapiro...

www.v-j-enterprises.com...

Nothing contemporary yet though... it's like the quest for what these skulls represent has been 'pushed aside' for some reason. There HAS to be more available!

I'm looking for a good up-to-date link which either debunks these skulls or looks at them in the light of modern scientific testing.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
But, there's another side to this debate as well...the skeptical side backed up by the Smithsonian Institute Press, no less...

skepdic.com...

a study of several crystal skulls by the British Museum in 1996 indicates that the only magic involved in the creation of these skulls was in keeping their fraudulent origin a secret. The study concluded that the skulls were made in Germany within the past 150 years. The recent origin explains how they were made with tools unavailable to the ancient Mayans or Aztecs.

Using electron microscopes, the researchers found that two of the skulls possessed straight, perfectly-spaced surface markings, indicating the use of a modern polishing wheel. Genuine ancient objects would show haphazard tiny scratches from the hand-polishing process. *

A similar result occurred in 1992 when the Smithsonian received a crystal skull from an anonymous source who claimed it was an Aztec skull that had been bought in Mexico City in 1960. Research by the Smithsonian concluded that several crystal skulls popular with the New Agers originated with Eugene Boban, a Frenchman of dubious character. Boban dealt in antiques in Mexico City between 1860 and 1880, and seems to have acquired his skulls from a source in Germany. Jane MacLaren Walsh of the Smithsonian concluded that several crystal skulls held in museums were manufactured between 1867 and 1886 ("Crystal Skulls and Other Problems," Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington DC, 1996).

I'd sure like to read their full report on the Skull of Doom.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
At least a couple of them are documentable as being found by legitimate diggers in Mayan sites so I would not jump at concluding that if some are bogus all the rest are by association. I would also assume that Sotherby's has documents proving where they obtained the skull for sale and that a sale to this woman actually took place.

Assuredly the consensus that the skulls are misplaced Aztec artifacts doesn't play out for me either since the Mayans sacrificed humans and had many morbid rites. It was once believed that the Mayans were passive and peaceful but recent stellae and temple illustrations have demonstrated otherwise. The fact that Mayans today have a tradition revolving around them gives weight to some being authentic.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cruizer
At least a couple of them are documentable as being found by legitimate diggers in Mayan sites so I would not jump at concluding that if some are bogus all the rest are by association. I would also assume that Sotherby's has documents proving where they obtained the skull for sale and that a sale to this woman actually took place.

It's true that one (and only one) of these skulls, the one that the "World Mysteries" website is talking about, was found to be a real artifact.

What those kinds of websites always neglect to mention is that polishing marks were found on that skull. They always make it sound like no marks at all were found. At least the above quote went on to hypothesize the method by which that skull was created. However, the "300 years" is totally bogus. I've read where it would be thirty (or less) years in the making, which in itself is indeed quite an investment of time, no question about it.

I'm not linking anything in this post. The information concerning what I've said here is available in some of the other earlier ATS threads on the subject.

Harte

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hey Van001,
Give this book a read if you can-loads of great information.
Especially the chapter about the hewlett packard laboratory
doing tests on the mitchell hedges skull.
Thats the best skull BTW,the one with the most history and mystery.
Sorry for the crazy link l e n g t h!

Link

[edit on 22/3/07 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
That's fine.
I contrarily think 30 years may be "totally bogus" :0 Thanks for weighing in on this however.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Here's a link which contains some very nice pictures of some of the Crystal Skulls

I'd take the written material on that link with a huge grain of crystal salt, though.

The first picture is truely amazing its allmost breath taking! Thanks masqua!

AlBeMeT

[edit on 16-3-2007 by AlBeMet]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The most famous crystal skull is the Mitchell-Hedges "skull of doom," allegedly discovered by a 17-year old Anna Mitchell-Hedges in 1924 or 1927 while accompanying her adoptive father on an excavation of the ancient Mayan city of Lubaantun in Belize, where the elder Mitchell-Hedges believed he would find the ruins of Atlantis. The evidence collected by Joe Nickell proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Mitchell-Hedges bought the skull at a Sotheby's sale in 1943 for £400.

This clear quartz skull is about 5.25 inches high and weighs about 11 pounds. It superficially resembles stone skulls made by the Aztecs. The Aztec skulls are stylized, however. The Mitchell-Hedges skull is realistic with a detachable jaw.

Much of the occult and sinister legend surrounding the so-called skull of doom originated with Mitchell-Hedges, who claimed that the

Skull of Doom is made of pure rock crystal and according to scientists it must have taken over 150 years, generation after generation working all the days of their lives, patiently rubbing down with sand an immense block of rock crystal until finally the perfect Skull emerged.

It is at least 3,600 years old and according to legend was used by the High Priest of the Maya when performing esoteric rites. It is said that when he willed death with the help of the skull, death invariably followed. It has been described as the embodiment of all evil (F.A. Mitchell-Hedges).

The age of the object, as well as the other claims made about its making and history, were fabricated by Mitchell-Hughes. The man who owned the piece, Sidney Burney, and those who were on the Lubannatun expedition, denied that Mitchell-Hedges found the skull. Mitchell-Hedges himself never mentioned the skull until just after he bought it in 1943.

Anna has continued the hoax. Even though there is no evidence that she was even at Lubaantun when the discovery was supposedly made, she has maintained that Burney only had the piece on loan from her father until he could pay off a debt he owed Burney. If so, why didn't her father just pay Burney back instead of bidding for the item in an auction? Anna has received some attention and made a few dollars over the years by putting her skull on display, claiming it came from outer space and was kept in Atlantis before it was brought to Belize.* She is still in possession of the skull, but seems to have tired of the publicity and has retired it from public viewing.

In 1970, Anna let Frank Dorland, a crystal carver, examine her skull. Dorland declared that it is excellent for scrying and it emits sounds and light, depending on the position of the planets. He claimed that the skull originated in Atlantis and was carried around by the Knights Templar during the crusades. He claims they had the skull examined at a Hewlett-Packard lab. D. Trull uncritically reports that the lab found that the skull

had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Modern crystal sculptors always take into account the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece is bound to shatter -- even with the use of lasers and other high-tech cutting methods.

To compound the strangeness, HP could find no microscopic scratches on the crystal which would indicate it had been carved with metal instruments. Dorland's best hypothesis for the skull's construction is that it was roughly hewn out with diamonds, and then the detail work was meticulously done with a gentle solution of silicon sand and water. The exhausting job -- assuming it could possibly be done in this way -- would have required man-hours adding up to 300 years to complete.*

Dorland's claims formed the basis of Garvin's book on crystal skulls.

The questionable origin of the Mitchell-Hedges skull has not deterred belief in the skull's mysterious properties. Rather, at least 13 other skulls have mysteriously appeared over the years. Some of these skulls are claimed to have magical origins and healing powers. However, a study of several crystal skulls by the British Museum in 1996 indicates that the only magic involved in the creation of these skulls was in keeping their fraudulent origin a secret. The study concluded that the skulls were made in Germany within the past 150 years. The recent origin explains how they were made with tools unavailable to the ancient Mayans or Aztecs.

Using electron microscopes, the researchers found that two of the skulls possessed straight, perfectly-spaced surface markings, indicating the use of a modern polishing wheel. Genuine ancient objects would show haphazard tiny scratches from the hand-polishing process.*

skepdic.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Researchers found that the skull had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Modern crystal sculptors always take into account the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece is bound to shatter -- even with the use of lasers and other high-tech cutting methods.

For the record, and speaking as someone who HAS carved a number of gemstones, this isn't true.

The diving frog sculpture here is quartz crystal:
mysticmerchant.com...

And a complex shape in rutilated quartz (which is hard to carve) :
www.dyber.net...

And a whole page of animals, faces, etc, in quartz:
www.deanmars.com...

This one's been internally carved in shapes more complex than a skull, and carved with a laser:
www.xianyeagan.com...

Another complex internally carved one from the same site:
www.xianyeagan.com...

...by now, you might suspect that you've been lied to about the skill needed to carve the skull.

BTW, if you look at the original Hedges find skull, it's not carved with that much skill and it's pretty anatomically inaccurate. But I confess to being picky about anatomical details:
www.ofspiritandsoul.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Very impressive work. Even makes me want to get some... Maybe in a few years when I can afford it.. *Sigh*

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
In the book "The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls" (by Chris Morton and Ceri Louise Thomas), a psychic is called in to "read the skull." The skull "spoke through her." It says and I quote "We give you one (crystal skull) where we left markings on the earth ... and high in the mountains ... there will be one of blue in the region you call 'South America' ... there will be another when the lost civilization that you call 'Atlantis' rises to you"

It also said that:

"When all the reciptacles are placed together you will be keepers of wonderous knowledge.... light and sound will be the key, when the right vibration is produced you will have the information you require"

I hope that helps.
I highly recommend this book.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
sounds like complete Rubbish if you ask me
if you're going to rely on channeled information then you might as well take some mind bending drugs and write down whatever comes into your head
it would be just as valid

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join