It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Phone Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Is anyone using their broadband connection for their phone service?

I decided to give it a shot now that they offer you can keep your regular telephone number and the price is just unbeatable. But they say you can use any phone (I'm sure you've all seen this in the vonage ads, though that is not the service I am using.)

The problem is, though it sounds fine to me, everyone I talk to is complaining about an echo on their end. I have reset the modem and voip box per tech support and it was suppossed to fix it but of course it didn't.

I am starting to think I need a VOIP phone. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will getting a phone made for this service resolve the echo issues?

Any other ideas?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
i had the same problem.

make sure your voip box is sitting before your internet router.

cablemodem ----> voip ----> router ----> computers

that solved the echos for me... the voip box has built in bandwidth delegation. so when you get a call it cuts your internet bandwidth to make sure your calls are going out clear. so it can slow your internet when your on the phone and when you have no internet you have no phone (goes out way more than regualr land line phones)

you could try an voip specific phone, if it doesn't work return it... the only real fix is to just use your cellphone instead.

join