It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thermodynamics problem

page: 1

join
share:
who

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I dont understand how when the space shuttle exits the earths atmosphere it doesnt burn up. The heat build up would be immense, how does it cool off? Since space is a vaccum, there isnt air to remove the heat, so what fluid takes the heat away? I dont understand how there can be heat transfer without air or some medium to move it.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Space isn't an exact vaccuum... There are still particles around...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I don't think there is a large heat build up when leaving.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The shuttle is still in a LEO (Low Earth Orbit) so there's plenty of cold little atoms to take on heat. But, I don't think anybody believe deep space is a vacuum, there's still stuffin's out there too. It's just a relative vacuum.

who

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why is there such a difference in heat between taking off and re-entry to our atmosphere?

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Heat can leave as radiation (infrared).

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
We're not going near as fast getting into orbit (and the fastest speeds reaching orbit are at the far end where the atmosphere is rarified) as we are when we come back (and the fastest speeds are pretty meaty atmostphere). Mach 8-10 going up, Mach 20-25 coming in. Energy is proportional to the velocity squared..so that's a lot of difference.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I think I read somewhere that the Silicon tiles covering the skin of the shuttle are designed to re-radiate heat into their surroundings. Isn't thermal radiation just another form of electromagnetic radiation? If this is the case, then it wouldn't need to travel through a medium.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by who
Why is there such a difference in heat between taking off and re-entry to our atmosphere?

I think there is a speed difference. Plus I think there is more friction going from nothing to something, than something to nothing. Think of it like sitting in a pool with your arm under water, and then move it out of the water quickly, no bid deal. Now start with it out of the water and bring it down fast into the water, makes a big slap and it hurts.

maybe that is a good analogy maybe not. Someone else might be able to explain it better.

top topics

join