It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your DNA Is A Song

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Your DNA Is a Song: Scientists Use Music to Code Proteins
John Roach
for National Geographic News

October 21, 2005
What are proteins? How are they structured? What's the difference between a protein in a human and the same protein in a lizard? Ask Mary Anne Clark these questions and she is likely to respond with an earful of music.

Clark is a biologist at Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth, and she's part of a growing field of science educators who use so-called protein music to help illustrate the basic structure of the building blocks of life.

DNA is Songlike

Well, this can very well revolutionize not only the way we think about who we are, but also about the nature of reality. Things are not what we presume them to be folks.

[edit on 23-10-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
An interesting article.

"If you play [the protein song for that sequence] you get that sense of the pattern much more strongly," she said. "That's my feeling at least. You hear stuff you can't see."

I'm all in favor of unconventional means of research, analysis and education.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
An interesting article.

"If you play [the protein song for that sequence] you get that sense of the pattern much more strongly," she said. "That's my feeling at least. You hear stuff you can't see."

I'm all in favor of unconventional means of research, analysis and education.

Yeah, another important aspect to the story is its emphasis on protein development. There is a book out called Protein: The Fingerprint of God. I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Interesting.... certainly gives creedance to the intelligent design theory as well as many other things which are almost perfectly tuned for our existance. Gravitational constant, Nuclear forces, structure of things, etc.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It also gives credence to the whole "music of the spheres" ideology as well. The further we go along, the more correct some of the ancient ideas seem to be.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
A friend told my that if you read Paul McCartney's DNA backward it says that it's fun to smoke pot.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Innnnnnteresting.

I wonder if there's a correllation between DNA's resemblence to musical composition, and what makes certain musical tracks as timeless classics that never made much money, and others just make lots of money but are forgotten in less than a decade.

There are very few people whom can resist being moved in some way by the right music. I'd love to hear what various human DNA "sounds" like if translated into literal music, especially combined as one.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Thelibra, there have been many experiments done on musical effects. I think that music is either in harmony with the divine sources are in disharmony with them. For example, I like rap and country music,(I know, that quite the combination), but the reason I like those kinds of music is because that is what is intoned into my spirit.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wasn't that in the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind... that they communicated by music?

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Anne,I can't remember. I saw the movie but it has been so long ago that I don't remember.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That’s awesome, I wonder if they can encode a sickly persons DNA and figure out what is wrong with them due to the Harmony being out of tune?

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Interesting. I found a link with some samples of this music:

whozoo.org...

Some really interesting and surreal sounds...

More proof that music (sound waves) is a "universal language", and could even communicate information at the atomic level, or be used to heal, etc.

[edit on 23-10-2006 by Shoktek]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Anne,I can't remember. I saw the movie but it has been so long ago that I don't remember.

Yeah check it out... there was this little tune that was part of the movie trailer. I can't find it online at this time but I'm sure an extensive search will turn it up.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The first five notes of this are the notes played to the space ship.

For some reason, theses notes are burned into my memory and I only saw the movie a few times.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I forget where I heard this but I remember hearing that everything has a reaction to certain harmonic resonances. Some positive and some negative depending on how they are played. Ever notice how a church's organ can automatically make you feel a certain way depending on how the tune is? Those frequencies actually resonate throughout your body, vibrating certain organs depending on how deep or high the note. I believe that ancient civilizations knew of this. Check what it can do to fire.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
John Coltrane used to always talk about how he wanted to use music to heal people, and how playing different sounds can heal a person, or communicate thoughts on an emotional level. I definitely believe it is possible in the hands of a talented musician, and if you've ever really heard coltrane's music, it would be hard to disagree.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
The first five notes of this are the notes played to the space ship.

For some reason, theses notes are burned into my memory and I only saw the movie a few times.

Yeah those are the notes... although they sounded a little less harsh.

Thanks for that link, darkelf!

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
the fire is brilliant!

Great way of showing waveforms!

On a similar note, has anyone seen anything about the theory of colours being related to audio frequencies, in particular musical key?

(does the musical dna finally prove that xfactor finalists are a lower form of life?)

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ewan
On a similar note, has anyone seen anything about the theory of colours being related to audio frequencies, in particular musical key?

I haven't actually read about this, but I've thought before that they are similar, and they do work in a similar way...perhaps the senses are just normally tuned to separate this information out. Ever heard of the natural phenomenon of synaesthesia? It's what acid users would call "seeing sounds" and "hearing colors", but other people experience it as well. I've read about people turning on music and seeing colors radiating from the source of the sound in a "musical pattern" similar to that flame experiment. I've read of people hearing distinct pitches of sound for different colors...interesting to think about.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I have heard that basically all of our cells (and really all things) vibrate at a certain speed and frequency so it only makes sense that sound would affect us. Im sure that it has been discussed somewhere on this board before so Ill try to find some links.

Also, from my religious perspective (if you care to know LOL) the Jewish mystical tradition talks about how G-d "spoke" the universe into being. Therefore sound is very important and plays a major role in certain medatative practices. I really think more research into the subject would be a good thing. Obviously music influences mood and I think that is very significant.

ANyway, great topic, jsut my 2 cents

top topics

<<   2 >>

join