It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Documentary film on terrorists crashing the economic system?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
My question rather belongs to my thread 'Bill Gates: The Ol' Dollar, It's Gonna Go Down', but it would probably not get as much attention as in this way.

Lately, I read an article in a German newspaper about a British (BBC) documentary film on a fictive scenario in which Al-Qaeda terrorists infiltrate stock exchanges in order to sabotage the Western financial system crashing and to eventually let it crash.

I've been desperately looking for its name but haven't been able to succeed yet... does anybody know the name of this particular film?

Thanks in advance,

Besides, I'm sure other people would be interested seeing this film as well

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It could be possible, the real terrorists are the neo-cons and they have huge $$$. So they would be able to create a huge crash. Anyway, 9/11 saved/retarded an economic crash. Maybe another big 9/11 would save the economy once again...

From all over history, the economic always preceded the politics... so if there's an economic crash and the Bush's administration is still in power after the mid-term elections, it could bring the US to fascism.

And i don't know the name for you're documentary but it seems interesting.

[edit on 23-10-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
well considering the highs over the Dow Index breaking records, the effect of a sudden crash would certainly be devastating.

The real terrorists aren't Neo-Cons btw, people are the real terrorists

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Lately, I read an article in a German newspaper about a British (BBC) documentary film on a fictive scenario in which Al-Qaeda terrorists infiltrate stock exchanges in order to sabotage the Western financial system crashing and to eventually let it crash.

ive a feeling you are talking about the 3 part bbc documentary 'the power of nightmares' but i dont think it was exactly the scenario you are portraying regarding infiltrating the stock markets. i think it was more to do with someone else using them as an excuse to cover up a stock market crash or something. id have to watch them all again though.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'll try to be more specific.

What the newspaper basically stated about the documentary film is that Al-Qaeda had an infiltrator living and working at a London bank as stock trader; who was in such a position to be able to cause a chain reaction in the global financial system by dumping mass amounts of Dollars, which eventually leads to the collapse of the economy - more or less an economic weapon of mass destruction.

[edit on 23-10-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
i dont suppose you remember what newspaper and what date? perhaps they have an online site where the article may be.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Many foreign banks are already dumping USD in favour of other currencies anyway.
If China and Japan stopped buying US bonds and propping up the USD there'd be a real mess to deal with.
Another scenario would be major oil producers starting to sell in currencies other than the PetroDollar, thus breaking the monopoly.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The IRA hit the UK economy hard.

Its a common tool by terrorists, hitting the economy can hurt more than killing the population.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I've posted this thread a while ago, but today I read this interesting article on the BBC website:

The US government has warned of an al-Qaeda call to attack US online stock market and banking services.

The threat, seen on an al-Qaeda website, applied to the whole of December.

It was said to be in revenge for the continued detention of suspects at the US prison camp in Guantanamo Bay.

A spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, Russ Knocke, said there was no evidence to corroborate the threat.

He said the US Computer Emergency Readiness team had issued a "situational awareness report to industry stakeholders".

However, he said it had been issued out of what he called "an abundance of caution".

The warning said the threat called for attacks to begin Friday and run through the month of December.

It is described as an "aspirational threat" and the nature of the warning is particularly vague, the BBC's Guto Harri in New York says.

Source

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm curious, if AQ can do this, why didn't they just do it from the get go? It'd be a hell lot more effective than flying a plane through a building.

Not that I'm condoning it, coz if the US markets crash, Malaysia's exports would be severely affected. I wouldn't want that.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
A coordinated attack on financial institutions in New York, London and Tokyo would have a huge impact on the world economy, but I think that's easier said than done.

I know the NYSE is so heavily guarded no car bomb could ever get to it, and as for infiltration, most financial companies do thorough background checks on employees.

I'm sure it's something they'd like to do, but I think it might be out of their reach.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm sure it's something they'd like to do, but I think it might be out of their reach.

Remember Bin Laden's spy Ali Mohammed?

By the early or middle 1980s, Zawahiri had decided to send a cell of sleeper agents to the United States, where they were instructed to set up a rudimentary terrorist network. Ali Mohammed was one of the earliest members of that cell. He settled in at Fort Bragg as an instructor in Arab culture.

As an infiltrator of U.S. society, Mohammed was a stunning success. He taught his courses on Arab culture at the prestigious John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center. He assimilated so thoroughly that he was known to his terrorist compatriots as "Abu Mohamed ali Amriki" -- "Mohamed the American."

His current whereabouts are unknown. He was Osama bin Laden's right-hand man, he apparently worked for the Army, the FBI and the CIA. And now he's just gone.

Source

If one is capable to infiltrate the CIA and FBI, then you would suppose infiltrating the Western (civilian) business community should be much easier to accomplish.

Triple Cross: Bin Laden's Spy in America Trailer

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
well - isnt it funny that this thread has been ressurected again.

look what appeared on the bbc website today....its the wolf!!!!!!!!!

so what is the likelihood that america is in such financial trouble that they need the scapegoat to totally collapse the financial system (which is featured regularly in news and film lately)

after all, it couldnt possibly be the governments actions that did that all by itself could it?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I dunno,

I reacon thinking about hijacked airlines bringing down the wtc's would of been scoffed at....

but if the powers at be WANT it to happen, well its a different story.

I dont think they WANT an attack to occur on the stock market..
The attack would be advantageous for them, but the economic disadvatages far out way the advantages...

I personally think if they are going to attack again, it will be with multiple car bombs similar to wtc93... in multiple buildings.. in multiple states..

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I personally think if they are going to attack again, it will be with multiple car bombs similar to wtc93... in multiple buildings.. in multiple states..

could you define 'they' here because you may not be aware that the explosives which were used in the earlier attack on the wtc were provided by the fbi (and this is a fact which was uncovered during the court case of one of the terrorists involved because he had been taping his conversations with his fbi handler)

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
look what appeared on the bbc website today....its the wolf!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at my previous post, I already posted the link to BBC's press release

Originally posted by justyc
so what is the likelihood that america is in such financial trouble that they need the scapegoat to totally collapse the financial system (which is featured regularly in news and film lately)

after all, it couldnt possibly be the governments actions that did that all by itself could it?

Good point, I've also been thinking about this; it is certainly a scenario we shouldn't rule out. Imagine that the US economy would crash, what would the response be like of US civilians? They would start revolting against the government, blaming Al-Qaeda could be a way of preserving unity. Leaders know the economic system will collapse; no one can say exactly when, but a timeframe between now and five years is not unthinkable. The question why no leaders would openly talk about it can be explained by the mere reason that it would cause an immediate collapse.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Funny i was just about to make a thread on this myself, US has issued warning of Al Qaeda financial attack ....

HERE

WASHINGTON: The US government warned American private financial services on Thursday of an al Qaeda call for a cyber attack against online stock trading and banking Web sites beginning on Friday, a source said.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   

U.S. warns of possible financial cyber attack
NBC News: Officials downplay chance of attack on U.S. institutions
NBC News and news services
Updated: 6:54 p.m. ET Nov 30, 2006

WASHINGTON - The U.S. government has notified U.S. private financial services of a call for a cyber attack against U.S. online stock trading and banking Web sites beginning Friday, officials said.

Almost immediately, however, other officials downplayed the risk of any danger to U.S. financial institutions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siren

Almost immediately, however, other officials downplayed the risk of any danger to U.S. financial institutions.

This is exactly what I described... fearmongering leads to speculation and downwards pressure on the Dollar... The downwards pressure currently is extreme

Gonna update my Bill Gates thread with some news today.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I don't think a cyberattack would be any more than a temporary nuisance.

All the data is backed up and stored in secure off-site locations.

For that matter infiltration of an organization by some people would, I think, not really pose much of a threat.

I think a real long term blow to the global economy would have to be physical destruction of infrastructure and the killing of key professionals whom can't easily be replaced.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join