It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeffrey Skilling Sentencing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The former boss of Enron, Jeffrey Skilling, will be sentenced today for the Enron scandal. He could receive 20-30 years in prison.

news.bbc.co.uk
Skilling, who back in May was found guilty on 19 counts including fraud, conspiracy and insider trading, could receive 20 to 30 years in prison.

Mr Skilling's lawyer has already asked that his client be allowed to remain free pending appeal, or to at least not have to go to prison before 27 November - after the Thanksgiving holiday.

The scandal at the one-time energy giant left 21,000 people out of work, and shook corporate America, when the firm went bankrupt in 2001 with debts of $31.8bn (£18bn).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With all the stuff he was convicted of I think I'd like to see him get the full 30 years in prison.

Related News Links:
www.timesanddemocrat.com
today.reuters.com
www.chron.com

CX

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
He got 24 years.

Former Enron boss Jeff Skilling has been sentenced to 24 years in prison for his part in America's biggest coporate scandal.

Skilling is the last of three former executives to be sentenced after Enron founder Ken Lay and finance officer Andrew Fastow.

Skilling had faced a lengthy jail term after Lay's death earlier this year and Fastow's unexpectedly light six-year sentence.

Source: Skilling jailed for 24 years

I wonder what Ken Lay is thinking?

CX.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
From the BBC report:

"Skilling has said he will appeal against his conviction.

The judge confined him to his home where he is to wear an ankle monitor until he reports to prison."

WTF?

Until he reports for prison? What the hell is going on? Why wasn't he taken down in shackles and an ornage jump suit to begin his sentence? This just doesn't sit quite right

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Until he reports for prison? What the hell is going on? Why wasn't he taken down in shackles and an ornage jump suit to begin his sentence? This just doesn't sit quite right

This is usual procedure in federal court for non-violent white collar offenders. It gives them time go get their things in order and give a bit of time for a higher court to issue a stay on the ruling as it considers or grants an appeal.

[edit on 10/23/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thought as much. Always the kid glove treatment when one of the corporate boys get's sentenced. Quite sickening really

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Thought as much. Always the kid glove treatment when one of the corporate boys get's sentenced. Quite sickening really

I somewhat agree, but still a 24 year sentence is pretty tough, even if you get like a month or so before you have to start it. All the legal analysts I've seen say this was a very clean case and proceeding and there's virtually no chance of an appeals court interfering with it.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Bah! This is going to sound mean but he should be sentenced to a year or two in Iraq let him earn his freedom, heck while were at it most of the violent offenders and molesters in Prison as well.
I know I'll get bad Karma for that one.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
24 years is alot for a man his age(I think he might be 52).So he will either die in prison or get out and have his best years behind him.

top topics

join