It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the speed of dark?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It must be faster than light, right? It was there before light ever started to travel. Nothing can break the speed of light? Limited imagination, IMO.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
not limited imagination. unlimited imagination.
as i always say, nothing is impossible until proven otherwise.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Isn't 'dark' the absence of light? Just like 'cold' is the absence of heat?

[Edited on 11/10/03 by crayon]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon

[Edited on 11/10/03 by crayon]

In that frame of reference, dark should be measurable just as coldness is..right?

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
and an absence of thought is not faster than anything at all...

it is quasi non-existant...

ever thought about this, the universe expands because of our thoughts...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage

So you are saying, if we all stopped thinking, there would be no light, and possibly not even us?

You went awefully deep there, hope I can keep up

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I would have to believe that darkness travels at the same speed of light. When you remove a light source darkness happens as fast as the light can hit an object and be absorbed.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
it would compress because of the absence...

in reference to the dark it is only apperant when the light is existant...

without the light there is no dark, there is no-thing...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   

To me, if there is no light, then its dark. Can you qualify 'no-thing'?

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon

Which is really absent? Isn't light also the absence of dark? Who says dark is something we should just ignore? And why is it ignored, for the most part? Because they still have no unearthly idea what it is?

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Which is really absent? Isn't light also the absence of dark?

No. Maybe in your dictionary. But not scientifically. You are just toying with semantics.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 06:08 PM
link   
this is what i was referring to...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Compare it to binary form...

Light = 1
Dark = 0

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I agree 100% with this. But we're not the only ones thinking. (but this is a whole other topic)

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   

...Tell your *toe* that there's nothing after it's just been jammed into the coffeetable in the middle of the night...

OW!

I would say that Airhogg has the answer that would be most correct...The dark would have to travel as fast as light in order to fill up the space that light had just vacated.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Dark suckers theory (not a racial slur) is pertinent to this thread, but I don't have the physics to explain it plausibly.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Dark has no speed... it's everywhere, all the time, and is pervasively present in all things at all time. Light temporarily makes things "undark", becuase when the light is gone, darkness remains because it never left. Thus, it is everywhere.

Now... I'll leave you guys to mull on that heavy peace of philosophical jibber-jabber I left you with.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
We refer to the speed of light all the time. People say we can travel faster than the speed of light. Yada Yada Yada. Darkness has no speed. It is the absence of light. Light---------- Thermodynamics and Relativity are based on the theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. There is a reason for this. Im sure most of you know this. The speed of light isnt the actual limit. The speed of light can be changed depending on the medium it travels through...I.E. light travels slower though air and water. The speed of light in a vacuum though is different. As an object with mass increases speed, it increases mass. As it accelerates further, more energy is needed. As it approaches the speed of light the increasing amount of energy needed to accelerate it further closes in on infinity. Now I have never read this but it was how I came to understand the speed of light. The speed of light is the limit because photons have no mass. They travel the maximun speed alloud because the infinite amount of energy needed to move an object with that mass isnt necessary. In other words it may be better stated, light travels at the maximum speed a particle or body can travel.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
thought can...

then the next question prosed is how do you know it is travel?

for the first time i kinda agree with william, it is everywhere, but is used to allow light to exist...

kinda a cohesion necessary for our universe to be seen...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   

thought can...

then the next question prosed is how do you know it is travel?

for the first time i kinda agree with william, it is everywhere, but is used to allow light to exist...

kinda a cohesion necessary for our universe to be seen...

though absolutely cannot travel faster than the speed of light dude. If you knew anything about howe the brain works...you would know that it works with the use of electrical signals...which do not travel faster than the speed of light.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join