It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord of the rings and the Illuminati?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The lord of the rings is a fictional novel written by J.R Tolkein. I was watching the film recently and something struck me. The main villain in the lord of the rings series is called sauron. Sauron has a gigantic tower at the top he has an 'all-seeing eye'. The Illuminati/Masonic symbol is a pyramid with an 'all-seeing eye' inside it. Did J.R Tolkein know about the Illuminati? I'd like to hear everyone elses opinion.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yes I've read on other conspiracy websites that there is a link between them. Here is a link to another website that discusses it:
www.illuminati-news.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Tolkien knew about a lot of things. He almost certainly didn't invent the "all seeing eye" on his own, I'd find it hard to beleive that he wasn't aware of it from the world of secret societies.
The other page mentions C.S. Lewis, who was a big time christian propagandist, he'd've been aware of the history of these ideas too. They're not as secret or unknown as people sometimes think.

BTW, the all seeing eye, where is it in the captured documents of the bavarian illuminati ???

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just because Sauron is an eye that watches over anthing, doesn't mean that Tolkien knew about the Illuminati.

The idea of a massive eye watching over everything is just good fiction, to me at least.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Just because Sauron is an eye that watches over anthing, doesn't mean that Tolkien knew about the Illuminati.

The idea of a massive eye watching over everything is just good fiction, to me at least.

I know but it is still a possibility that maybe Tolkein is warning us about future events through his fictional writings. Maybe Tolkein was even a psychic?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
No, I don't think that, it hasn't even popped into my head before.

To me, Lord of the Rings is just a great fantasy novel. Fantasy. He wasn't trying to warn us of impending danger, neither was he a psychic.

I've often said that in 2000 years, would people regard LOTR as the Bible, much as we do today regarding the Bible. Irrelevant I know, but I had to say it.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Tolkien said many times that LOTR was NOT an allegory for anything. It was a story that he wanted to write, nothing more.

It amazes me that people will jump on any crackpot idea, "Tolkien was warning us of the Illumanati!!", "maybe he was a psychic!!", Please. It would be responsible of you to have some knowledge of Tolkien before you wrote stuff like that, which of course you don't bother to do.

People on this website (and their disregard of research and common sense) really annoy me sometimes.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
www.jayweidner.com...

Alchemical Secrets of The Lord of the Rings

Using Tolkien's splendid tale as a tool, this article will reveal that like the great masters of old, Tolkien is initiating us into a new level of awareness of our past, ourselves and the planet we inhabit. It will also reveal that Tolkien somehow knew the deepest secrets of Alchemy and embedded this mysterious knowledge into the heart of his work. This is the real reason why The Lord of the Rings has such a great and universal appeal, for it is our true history and secret heritage that is being revealed to us through its pages. Tolkien has mined a deep vein of mythic resonance that rings true to all who delve deeply into this extraordinary work of Art.

This is a very interesting article about Tolkien and his tale

[edit on 24-10-2006 by jaamaan]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It is said that Richard Wagner was an Adept Alchemist...

www.gnosticteachings.org...

I have seen and understood that there are hundreds of operas containing the knowledge of Gnosis. Truly, it is a very beautiful form in which to learn the doctrine; not only do they activate and feed the Superior Emotional Center, but they help us develop good Intuition and comprehension of the Kabbalah. Of course, in many cases they also help us develop patience.

In particular, I would recommend these operas for your Kabbalistic studies:

The entire "Der Ring des Nibelungen" by Richard Wagner; consists of 4 operas in a set, which can be rented or purchased on DVD. This is the greatest artistic masterpiece of the last few hundred years.

If you want to know where Tolkein got the entire "Lord of the Rings", watch this opera cycle.

Undoubtedly, Wagner was a great Master of the White Lodge who is still criticized and attacked today for his work. This Ring cycle changed classical music and is the primary root of how movies are made today. I have never been more impacted by any single piece of art than I have been by this cycle. It takes great patience to watch the whole thing, but if you persist, it is well worth it. (Requires meditation too).

All the operas of Mozart, especially "The Magic Flute" and "Don Giovanni."

The various versions of the Faust story. I have seen several, and each have their perks. (most rely too much on previous knowledge of the Goethe poem, which, incidentally, is another beautiful incarnation of the Gnostic Doctrine.)

Turandot by Puccini.

"La Boheme" really puts modern culture on display. This story clearly demonstrates the insanity of the modern mind, but most people now are so identified with desire that they do not see the tremendous warning contained in this story.

I could list many others; but perhaps you have a suggestion?

So with this in mind, it would not be surprising to see many of the following elements within, shall we say, Lord of the RingCycle:

www.gnosticteachings.org...

Obviously, the opera Parsifal is layered with Initiatic knowledge. This is why even Samael Aun Weor was astonished by the work of Wagner, and this is also what obsessed Hitler (although obviously he did not comprehend it). Thus, it would be near impossible to exhaust the meanings found in it.

However, I can suggest that you reflect upon the structure as you have already indicated: three acts that build in spiritual elevation.

In the beginning, Parsifal is a child who makes a foolish mistake (like us). In other words, he is a beginner or Apprentice (from Masonry).

In the middle, he is able to see that he has made mistakes, and he seeks to rectify them. This is the level of the Journeyman or Craftsman. This is the work of the Initiate: to descend into the Abyss (one's own mind) and conquer the Ego (Klingsor) with the spear that he stole (our sexual potency).

In the end, Parsifal returns as a Master.

Regarding the Chambers, whether there is a correspondence or not is answerable through Meditation.

There's a very interesting free audio-lecture on this too:

Regards

CX

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Not sure whether the the subject of the Illuminati had any influence on Tolkien writing Lord of the Rings.

I did read though, and thanks to the great replies to my thread about the first language, that Tolkien was a conlanger and wrote LOTR so he could have a world where he could use his constructed language.

"J.R.R. Tolkien is the most famous conlanger of the modern world. He admitted in an interview before his death that the real reason for "The Lord of the Rings" was to make a world where his constructed languages of Elvish, Dwarvish, and proto-Halfling could be spoken. The plot was just morphed from Wagner's "Das Ring."

CX.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
With regard to the Eye of Sauron, I think it was only made a visual form in the films. If I remember correctly, its visibility in the films is because otherwise you wouldn't see Sauron except for the prologue of the first film. Maybe you should look at the film adaptation for this instead.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I was under the impression that the LOTR's was an allegory for Jesus. I read that Tolkien was very religious so it makes sense.

Being that he was lived in England and surrounded himself with other high society intellectuals who I am sure had connections with the Masons he had a great knowledge of what was going on around him so if some symbolism like the all seeing eye came into play if wouldn't surprise me.

You could also see it as the good vs evil or light vs dark allegory.

Cory

PS- great topic by the way

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well the Christic Drama of Jesus is Universal, so this same drama is found in most religions.

Richard Wagner being an Initiate, presented the Gnosis of the Universal Christic Drama within his works.

So it seems that Tolkien was inspired by Wagner's representation more than anything else.

top topics

join