It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train Carrying Ethanol Derails and Explodes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Two tanker cars are still burning from a derailment that occurred on Friday just outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The derailment occurred as the train was crossing over Beaver Creek in New Brighton, Pennsylvania. Shelters have been set up in the area to help people that were displaced by the mishap. People evacuated after the crash were sent back to their homes only for a short time to pick up clothes, medicine, and other essentials.

www.thepittsburghchannel.com
NEW BRIGHTON, Pa. -- After a massive train derailment left burning cars dangling over a river and forced hundreds of evacuations, local emergency officials said the possibility of another explosion still exists and decided to issue a state of emergency. As of noon on Sunday, two rail cars were still burning.

Crews have removed several of the cars from the wreck, but will continue working to remove the remaining cars form Beaver Creek and extinguish the final two cars.

A Norfolk Southern train jumped the tracks on a bridge in New Brighton at about 10:40 p.m. Friday, sending 23 cars over a bridge, according to the Beaver County Emergency Management Agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The train involved was the eastbound 68Q which was bound for New Jersey from Chicago, Illinois. According to www.nscorp.com - the derailment has affected the Fort Wayne line, ex - New York Central 'Big Four' mainline, between the cities of Pittsburgh and Altoona, Pennsylvania. This derailment itself destroyed the double track mainline and part of the bridge over Beaver Creek that the accident occurred on. this derailment has also put a twenty four to seventy two hour delay on Amtrak's 'Capitol Limited' which also uses the line through Pittsburgh.

The National Transportation Safety Board is looking at the possibility of a broken rail that caused the mishap at 10:40 P.M. on Friday nite. This is not the first accident in the past two years that has involved a type of chemical. Just last year a northbound Norfolk Southern freight train carrying chlorine gas derailed after a switch had been left opened to a manufacturing facility in Graniteville, South Carolina back in January of 2005.

I myself know what it's like to see deadly chemicals go by on a train every day. I live not two hundred yards from CSX's ex - C&O Chicago to Hampton Roads double tracked mainline. Once you have lived by the tracks for a while, you do actually get used to what goes by on a daily basis. It still scares me to think what can happen if a derailment like what occurred up in New Brighton, Pennsylvania were to happen here in Marmet, West Virginia.

Related News Links:
www.thepittsburghchannel.com
www.kdka.com
www.foxnews.com
www.cnn.com

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10/23/2006 by gimmefootball400]

[edit on 23-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Man, that's horrible.

I wonder what caused this to happen? It's damn unlucky enough that it derailed, but it had to be a chemical train too.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The National Transportation Safety Board is looking into the possibility of a broken rail as the cause. As to how the broken rail went undetected by Norfolk Southern dispatchers, no one knows how right now. I think I might have a clue as to how it did go undetected though. That is the current from signal to signal travels a particular rail on each track, depending on the number of tracks and the location of the signal's control box.

What would have normally happened is that the dispatcher, probably down in Roanoke, Virginia or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania changed the block signal's light from a 'Stop', or red, signal to a 'Clear', or green, signal. I think what may be behind this is that it wasn't a complete break in the rail. The top of the rail can be broken while the bottom of the rail remains intact. Therefore, the connectivity between both signals is maintained even though the rail is broken. When the rear of the train was about to pass over the broken rail, the rail snapped completely due to the force being exerted on the intact part.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
As of 10:00 P.M. last evening, Norfolk Southern announced that normal traffic will resume at the end of this week on the remaining main track that was not damaged in Friday's derailment and fire. Freight traffic will resume by Saturday but will be down to a single track in both directions.

new topics

top topics

join