It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegemite banned in USA because of high levels of Folic Acid!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Do they have different kinds of vegemite like say chocolate flavoured? If they did I think they could sell it in the US and Canada more than they do. I tried it once because some aussies talked me into it but I had to spit it out. I think I liked caviar better actually and I can't see why people like that stuff.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Vegemite banned in the US? not that i really care,as its been pointed out in the thread that Kraft is now owned by a US company.

I find it just as strange to hear peoples comments of dislike to the taste of Vegemite to foreigners as they would find it strange that we Aussies love it.Only thing i find strange about Vegemite is when i eat about 6/8 pieces of toast with Vegemite it makes my wee go flouro,must be packed with vitamin B also?,shrugs.

Billy Connelly who lives in the US though loves it and its a bad day to him if he does`nt get his Vegemite on toast for brekky.I can just imagine him throwing a fit over this

What i do and did find offensive was the US wanting free trade agreements with other countries which helped their economy but when it came to our exports to them it was near impossible and when Johnny went to the US to have words with them about our exports(wheat/cattle?) he was snubbed the first time he went,the second time he went 9/11 occurred,the deal was made only if we broadcast more American TV in Australia if i remember correctly,all of which was minuscule and mostly forgotten about because of 9/11.

Anyway get some Vegemite in ya it`ll do you some good and once you get over the new taste sensation you will begin to appreciate how great its actually tastes and if not thats cool i love it when other countries think we Aussies are strange.Peanut butter and jelly sandwich eatin nutters

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Whats the bet they hate it because they smear it on like jam instaed of just lightly spreading it.This coming from people who mix peanut butter and jelly?I wish we would ban half the crap they send us

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
iori_komei, the secret to eating it is to spread it real thin. You always see these asian tour groups that glob it on like jam or whatever, and then they go "This tastes disgusting!"

I reckon it tastes great.

You're kidding me. I spread it on like any other one. It tastes great. I find spreading it real thin I dont get anough flavour

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
After contacting the Whitehouse regarding this matter, they wrote back and this is what they had to say .......

On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence.
We appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions.
The President is committed to continuing our economic progress,
defending our freedom, and upholding our Nation's deepest values.

Due to the large volume of e-mail received, the White House
cannot respond to every message. Please visit the White House
website for the most up-to-date information on Presidential
initiatives, current events, and topics of interest to you.
In order to better receive comments from the public, a new system
has been implemented. In the future please send your comments to
[email protected].

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sooo it seems theyre not to keen on addressing the VegiGate scandal

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell

Are you Australian? Have you ever eaten Vegemite? Vegemite is the 'apple pie' of Australia. It is a cultural icon.

Im not Australian. yet I have eaten vegemite and its evil British twin, marmite.

The stuff tastes like something you might scrape off a compost heap, and to be honest, eating Saddam Husseins dirty socks is far more appealing than vegemite.

By banning this substance. the FDA has done America and the world a great favor by sparing our stomachs and mouths the indignity of this revolting crap. otherwise, if Americans were to taste this sludge, they would wonder how anyone could be considered human and decent and consider this a cultural icon, and thus, Americans would demand Australia be nuked for god-awful taste.

Just sayin.................

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I just bought some Vegemite yesterday and I,m already addicted to the stuff. It,s scrummy.
If you have eaten beef flavour crisps you have already an idea of how it tastes.. but much healthier

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

In October 2006, the Melbourne Herald Sun reported that Vegemite is banned in the USA, with Customs officials going so far as to even search Australians for Vegemite when they enter the country,[1][2] but later reports cast doubt on the claim.[3] The Food and Drug Administration later stated there was no import ban on Vegemite, and that it was never pulled from American supermarket shelves.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

False alarm, guys. False alarm...

[edit on 11/12/2006 by Kacen]

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I love both Vegemite and Maremite. I bought some of both in San francisco on my honeymoon. There was an Aussie store across the street from the hotel, along with a nice wine shop.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to Vegemite ban in USA
Without folic acid in your body is what causes spinda bifida children to be born. why ban it we need it

post by deessell

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
LOL,
I had a terrible Accident in late 2004, intensive care for a couple of weeks, NDE etc, very very lucky to be alive never mind talking or walking again, lol all normal.

The one thing besides the pain killers, and a anti inflammatory, tabs they gave me to take orally every morning whilst still in there, and onto the Higher Dependency ward for the following 2 weeks, was

FOLIC ACID.

I am a Male.

Seems to be good for Intensive Care, and Medical recovery........

But a tiny bit in Vegymite, Banned by the FDA joke, whilst the tops of the FDA are on the boards of Monsanto and such likes...

Elf.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
What is the world coming too. The beloved toast and bread topping of Aussies is banned.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

Source

Maybe the US is on to something and it is better that they don't allow it in.

I hate to say this, but our beloved vegemite has now sold out so badly that it will use GM products in it.
not only will it put a rose in every cheek, it will probably also put a cancer in every bowel.
www.truefood.org.au...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I remember this commercial or maybe just a joke video clip that I saw on some channel that had Mel Gibson in it. He was taking some vitamins and then the cops came in to bust him. It just seems like the FDA and the pharm. companies doesn't want us to take any proactive role in our own health. It still shouldn't have been an issue to begin with over Folic Acid. The problem with most processed and manufactured American foods is that it doesn't have enough vitamins and minerals not too much. To me it just seems so silly and stupid

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Is this really surprising?

With the news telling us that mercury in fish is OK for pregnant woman and children also. They also recently said thimerisol is OK in vaccines.

- Ginger is on the controlled substance list as an insecticide
- Vitamin B6 is going to phased out, its toxic
- tumeric is also on the conrolled substance list
- vitamin E is toxic and being limited.

It keeps getting better. They will soon be claiming food and water have toxins and are therefore banned.

We can't stop it.... If it's gotten this far and nobody is doing anything then we are all doomed. Really no chance in hell if you look at what is happening and the lack of response from people.... It's all a conspiracy... and your all crazy for being on this board...

Rgds

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
what a load of BS.

ive sent many a jar of vegemite to my mates in the US of A to try over the years, including 06 when this thread started.

nothing to see here, move along ppl.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
So utterly ridiculous. Folic Acid is a WATER-SOLUBLE B vitamin (B9)

You cannot ever overdose on it as the body urinates out the excess it can't use.

As this is the case, What difference does it make WHAT level is in Vegemite? It CAN'T hurt you.

Oh, but the FDA has no problem with all that Halloween candy from China that had the Melamine in it - you can have all of that you want - it will only kill ya.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Folic acid supplementation can mask serious disease in elderly people. This is the reason why it is not advisable to add it in to your diet without using great caution. There are also issues around regulation and purity when buying unlicensed substances. It has been alleged that an actor who appeared in The Great Escape died, not from his cancer, but from vitamin A poisoning in a last ditch effort to treat his cancer.

Moderation in all things.

Many substances, taken in excess, may be toxic. These include endogenous neurotransmitters and even vitamins.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Since the Anonymous post seems to have brought this back to life, I'll repeat what was said just before it died two years ago:

In October 2006, the Melbourne newspaper, the Herald Sun incorrectly reported that Vegemite had been banned in the United States, and that the United States Customs Service had gone so far as to search Australians entering the country for Vegemite. The story appears to have originated from an anecdote from a traveller who claimed to have been searched and a spokesperson for Kraft who made a misinformed comment to reporters.

Wikipedia

Sorry folks, it was just an internet rumor. The nasty yeast spread is still available in the U.S.

Oh, and that "Ginger and turmeric on the controlled pesticide list" thing? That was in Thailand I believe. Not here.

[edit on 2/16/09 by americandingbat]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join