It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please show me a ''real'' pic of saturn.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbrain

Originally posted by Edn
You still going on about this. Did you ever take anyones advice and go to an observatory and look for yourself?

Are you among those who think to see Saturn with a binocular?

Why are you laughing? I saw Saturn's rings through a pair of 15x binoculars mounted to a tripod. Granted, they weren't easy to see, but they were difinitely visible. You can also see Jupiter's 4 major moons, even with relatively cheap binoculars.

edn -- I, too, have seen Saturn's rings and moons from a backyard 8" telescope. The image through an 8" schmidt-cassegrain telescope is much better than through binoculars!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I saw Saturn's rings through a pair of 15x binoculars mounted to a tripod. Granted, they weren't easy to see

What a gross mistake.

Are you a binoculars reseller?

As NASA buffoons you are deluding gullible people like kids.

Edn

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Why?

/waits for answer.

One thing I don't get is you give people a means to get proof and they never do it, or they come up with some silly story about how NASA must be projecting holograms into the sky or something similarly stupid, of course NASA didn't exist when Galileo discovered the rings of Saturn in 1610 using a fairly weak telescope (compared to todays).

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I saw Saturn's rings through a pair of 15x binoculars mounted to a tripod. Granted, they weren't easy to see

What a gross mistake.

Are you a binoculars reseller?

Huh??

I'm not trying to be difficult here, It's just that I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you stop talking in riddles so we can have an honest debate?

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
I too agree with the OP, and think it's a valid suspicion to suspect NASA is doctoring photos. I can see where some of the pictures posted look more "real" while some are just more picture perfect, smooth and lack detail. Some are illuminating, and look more real....to me anyway
It's like they glow, and other photo's do not seem to glow. I am not here to argue, although I find it hard to believe that only a few people understand what Selfless is trying to communicate.

I noticed there was a huge range in color variation when I searched for pictures of Saturn myself. I'm by no means qualified to comment on that, but maybe someone can tell why that is? Is it glare from the sun, or other stars?
Still learning

I think it's a completely invalid suspicion. It amounts to the argument from incredulity - "I can't understand how it could look like that, so it must be fake."

Are the images made available for public consumption processed? Yes. the colors are re-created from multiple raw images taken with a filter wheel. Noise is filtered out. If the images are created with a "pushbroom" imager, then the striping is removed. Often, multipel images are carefully stitched together. And so on. However, the raw images are available. Amateurs can and do create their own images for fun, and some do a great job.

If you knew anything at all about the planetary science community, you would realize how impossible this is. All this stuff is heavily peer reviewed by the herd of cats that includes scientists from around the world, most of whom do NOT draw a paycheck from NASA. They publish detailed analyses based on the raw images. They are not people you could use as part of a massive conspiratorial cover up.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I've been lurking for quite some time now but I've decided to sign up just to comment quick.

Selfless, I've had this same exact conversation with a close friend of mine about the Saturn images. Believe me, I'm not a supporter of everything that NASA does, in fact, I share the belief that NASA does indeed hide information from us but enough is enough.

The images look "CGI" because they've had touch ups done to them. The same way when you turn on anti-aliasing in games to help smoothen edges. These images aren't fake and plenty of people have made it clear using a plethora of ways to explain it. Ultimately it's your decision but why create a thread asking for real images of Saturn if you don't accept images from the current leading space agency? Not to mention you accept only the images that best fit your idealogy of what's right. Why not accept the ESA images? They're not from NASA, yet, you don't like them for the same reasons.

Anyways, perception is a tricky thing.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfless

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by selfless
Why would i waste my time answering something to someone who redicules me?

Right, i wouldn't.

Because if you don't, more people may ridicule you. That may not be the 'right thing to do' but hey, here we are.

Then so be it, redicule me all you want it's not gonna change anything, im still gonna filter throught all this useless bickering and pay attention to the people who provides me with what looks more like a real picture of saturn then a fake computer generated image or edited from a real one.

So continiue to waste your time by making fun of me please, it will only make the contributors of this thread who take it seriously more valuable.

Then why are you here? Seriously, what is that you want?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here. Damian takes some very good pictures with his Meade telescope (frankly I have to be content with sketching planets as my telescope hasn't yet got a drive...but I shall manage!!)

www.damianpeach.com... In fact some of his videos are remarkably close to the Voyager footage.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by timelike]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by timelike

Exactly...these photos and others I have seen taken by amateur astronomers (and even images I saw with my own eyes through my local university's telescope) looks almost excactly like the ones from NASA's probes (Cassini, Voyager).

This totally discredits selfless's assertion that the photos from NASA must be fake, based solely on the fact that he does not trust NASA. That argument is a logical fallacy.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Here's some real photos of saturn from amateur astronomers. Its a great website.

Cloudy Skies

[edit on 20-9-2007 by xRedlinex]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
John lear

I now know what would make someone unable to walk when viewing what is going on around Saturn. I have the pictures, they come from the cassini web site.You have to clean them a little but you can see what they are looking for. And as far as Saturn, you are correct It took me the next day to fully comprehend what I saw

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Closeup of Saturn?

Today is your lucky day mister!

check it out

apod.nasa.gov...

oh yes, the link says NASA

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by selfless

No disrespect intended, but you seriously need to get off your delusional, high horse, or stop asking people to provide images. You obviously have no clue of what is real or CGI. The NASA pictures are as real as they get.

So you think NASA is giving out fake pictures of Saturn, but yet you trust NASA that Cassini was a real space probe, and that they built it and put it in Saturnian orbit?
That's illogical.

I've personally viewed Saturn through a set of binoviewers attached to a 7" apochromatic refractor from over 9,000 ft. elevation on Mt. Pinos. It looks exactly like what you see in those pictures, albeit with less detail since it's a land-based telescope. Binoviewers allow for a 3D image of the object you're viewing, and with a 7" apochromatic refractor, Saturn looked as big or bigger than the moon does with the naked eye. It's certainly an amazing experience and I suggest you get yourself to a star party where you can view Saturn for yourself.

Click here to go to JPL's page for the Cassini-Huygens mission. You can view raw and composited images of Saturn here.
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 10/29/2008 by pjslug]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I think you're being a bit hard on selfless pjslug...

but you are right that selfless probably needs to reevaluate the way he interprets reality.

I believe the real issue here is that it is only relatively recently in human evolution that we have been able to peer into space as we do today. Our eyes and brains have evolved to be used to objects we see here on Earth in our every day lives. At the same time we also know that our eyes (and therefore our brains) can easily be fooled - optical illusions are everywhere.

So it's not really surprising that when humanity is suddenly plunged into the space age, that some of our old hangups are still around, and that when our eyes are confronted with with something literally as alien as a photographic close-up of another planet, that our brains should start screaming "not real!".

Sometimes you just have to accept that your instincts are wrong. If you do that and think things through in a logical way, and always ask yourself "Why would they even want to lie" you'll hit the correct answer more of the time... after all, NASA can not control who looks at the sky, so how could they ever hope to get away with it, and what would be the point?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

thank you for saving me the trouble of posting something along the same lines. and LMAO @ ten pages of this.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
real picture...
i38.tinypic.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by evolxyz
real picture...
i38.tinypic.com...

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm, but that's clearly fake. The depth of field, the huge boulders sticking out apparently very close to the camera (hence the depth of field), no image like that has ever been taken for the simple reasons that it would put a probe at far too high a risk to manoeuvre that close to the rings and no probe I know of could adjust its focus to an object that close anyway (making the depth of field close-up shot impossible). After doing some digging I found out it's an illustration made by M. Weiss with credit to NASA.
chandra.harvard.edu...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xRedlinex
Here's some real photos of saturn from amateur astronomers. Its a great website.

Cloudy Skies

[edit on 20-9-2007 by xRedlinex]

Awesome website!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join