It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US in secret truce talks with insurgency chiefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well when stay the course dosent work.....

(TimeonlineUK)-AMERICAN officials held secret talks with leaders of the Iraqi insurgency last week after admitting that their two-month clampdown on violence in Baghdad had failed. Few details of the discussions in the Jordanian capital Amman have emerged but an Iraqi source close to the negotiations said the participants had met for at least two days. www.timesonline.co.uk...

They included members of the Islamic Army in Iraq, one of the main Sunni militias behind the insurgency, and American government representatives. The talks were described as “feeler” discussions.

The US officials were exploring ways of persuading the Sunni groups to stop attacks on allied forces and to end a cycle of increasingly bloody sectarian clashes with members of the majority Shi’ite groups. According to the source, the key demand of the Islamic Army was the release of American-held prisoners in allied jails.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
While talks are nessecary,
I think this is a bad sign of things to come.
When we are looking for them to stop the violence,
ultimately they now control the level of violence that happens.

If they are indeed killing in the name of a secretarian war, they arent going to stop simply because the americans are asking nicely.

This should of happenend before it got this out of hand.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have a feelin about this and as agit8dchop has said it don't look good. The various tribal forces behind the insurgency even thou they may have ill feelings towards each other and other sectarian groups may unite in the guise of "my enemies enemy is my friend". Thus "pretending" for a while to be united and stopping the violence so the US looks like it has this under control and can withdraw without loosing to much 'face' in the public eye, yet once withdrawn, the real civil war and partition of Iraq will take place, the outcomes of which may be alot worse than a Saddam led Iraq.

join