It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Ponders 2008 Presidential Bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday he was considering a run for president in 2008, backing off previous statements that he would not do so.

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress. He said he would not make a decision until after the Nov. 7 elections.

"That was how I was thinking at that time," said Obama, when asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" about his previous statements.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.foxnews.com...

well, due to me being a non-American, i don't know a lot about this person. But is he the first Black American to ever put his hat in for the top job?

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I still don't fully understand what makes people go ga-ga over this guy, but after watching some of the morning talk shows, it is a bit more clear. Still I think he's way overhyped.

Anyway, to answer your question many blacks have run for president before but none ever really had a serious chance or was a major party nominee. Obama anyway is hardly an African-American in the usual meaning, his mother was white and his father was an immigrant from Kenya (as opposed to a descendent of the slaves). That's part of what makes him attractive, he's a black face but not connected to all these whining civil rights groups like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are. Although I hear his wife is.

edit:

Colin Powell would have a good nominee a while ago, but apparently he decided that he didn't want to run for office.

[edit on 10/22/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
"Osama Obama" as Ted Kennedy likes to call him would be a great addition to the Democrat Parties contestents for the Presidency. I wonder who the Democrats will throw out to take away votes from him? Just like they did when they threw out Carol Mosely Braun to take votes away from Sharpton. I wouldn't be surprised if Mosely-Braun, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and others where all forced to run, just to supress Obama. Of course Hillary would be the mastermind behind this.

Should be fun to watch Hillary and Obama battle this one out!

[edit on 10-12-2006 by RRconservative]

new topics

join