It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the religion of our parents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
i was reading something from award winning author and scientist richard dawkins, and he brought up an interesting thing that i had taken for granted about relgion

90%+ of all people follow the religion of their parents

does this not lend credence to the argument that religion is based off of illogical belief that infects our mind with irrationality?

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

does this not lend credence to the argument that religion is based off of illogical belief that infects our mind with irrationality?

It all depends on if your parents were instilling in you, a lie or the truth. If they believed a lie then passed that onto you, it's extremely sad and not a good thing.

If they passed along the truth to you, then you need to rejoice and be glad that Jesus was important to your parents and that they taught you about Him.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I must be in the 10% ratio.

My father was a Roman Catholic

My mother was Pentecostal

I am what most would term a new age "heretic." *Shrug*

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

If they passed along the truth to you, then you need to rejoice and be glad that Jesus was important to your parents and that they taught you about Him.

What about God? Shouldn't one learn about God? And, Dbrandt, who says YOU know what the truth is?

BTW....both parents Catholic...myself: stopped being Catholic at age 13!!

Now, I have no religion....I have God!

Religion is evil and corrupt and created by man....not God!!

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy

What about God? Shouldn't one learn about God?
BTW....both parents Catholic...myself: stopped being Catholic at age 13!!

Jesus is God.

It's best that you aren't practicing catholicism.

How old are you now?

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I must be in the 10% ratio.

My father was a Roman Catholic

My mother was Pentecostal

I am what most would term a new age "heretic." *Shrug*

i'd like to continue this in further posts

my father and mother are catholics

i gave up catholicism for atheism at age 15
then i became agnostic at 16
a buddhist at 17
and later in the same year i found myself as an atheist that meditates

but this isn't just about religion, i want to discuss the sociological implications
it's not like we have a sociology forum

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It's interesting that two main religions I know about strongly condemn this sort of behaviour. Jesus came to bring the sword, separate father from son, etc, and Islam says that there is nothing more full of ignorance than to say "I do this because my forefathers did this. Who are you to say it is wrong?- ie., both are "anti-tradition".

[edit on 23-10-2006 by babloyi]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Jesus is God.

PLEASE provide conclusive evidence of this statement with out resorting to an ancient collection of myth,legend,and faerytales.

It is said that Abram when he left Ur of the Chaldees " followed the Gods of HIS Fathers"
It was the custom of his time to "follow the God" of your father. IE: follow the particular
diety the YOUR father and his Father and His Father followed. Much the same as
modern and ancient catholosism(the mother of all xianity) has " patron saints".

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
i thought i'd try digging up this thread

would anyone else care to post what religion(s) they were raised in and what religion they currently practice?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

It is an excellent point. What about all the religions of the world? If there is one true religion, then what about the people who are raised in other major religions of the world? They're innocent aren't they?

If Christianity (for example) is what people were meant to follow, then why would God allow 2/3 of his people to be "brainwashed" by other religions from birth, and never have a chance to come to Christianity, which is the other third?

People say they have a chance to accept Christianity at any time, but I would ask them to think of how hard it would be for THEM to turn their back on their religion and accept another...

dbrandt made a good point. What if they were instilling a lie? What if the Christian parents (like mine) were innocently instilling a lie, believing it's the truth?

My parents were both Christian (protestant) and I have no religion at all.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I stopped being religious largely because I never chose it for myself. My parents are pretty disappointed, but you can't just force belief on someone. They feel like failures, which puts a lot of pressure on me and I don't appreciate it at all. My choice to not believe is hurting them.

Most religious people I know don't seem to really be into the beliefs/doctrines. I think they just go to church for the social experience or because it keeps them within good graces of the family/friends. Otherwise they would have to deal with what I've been dealing with for the past 8 years.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I once asked an acquaintence what religion he followed. He responded, "I'm Catholic in the sense that an elephant born in a tree is a bird."

This made me realize that many people don't REALLY believe full-heartedly in what they were raised to believe in. The problem is that they never take it a step further.

The person I asked, for the sake of anonymity I'll call him Joe, didn't really believe or follow in the religious path he was taught as a child. Joe knew what he DIDN'T believe. The problem was that he didn't push to figure out what he DID believe.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
My religion comes from My father's mother's mother.
She was a Prussian woman who was an Earhart related to Amelia.
She was hardcore and made sure everyone of her descendants would follow her religion.
So far it seems to have worked pretty much.
It seems to be fairly pragmatic and I have never found any good reason to discard it.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Being from Scotland where religion only matters if your a Celtic or Rangers supporter (and not even much at that), my father was a catholic - but doesn't care about it not that I can remember and my mother is a protestant - slightly practicing.
Me and my siblings were made go to protestant Sunday school until about 11 -12 years old but none of us are now practicing religion. I'm atheist and I don't know what brother and sister actually believe as it is not a big deal in our family. My parents don't care what we believe as it I don't think that it really matters to them.

G

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I mean no offence to those who posted in this thread, but to me it seems that generally, in today's world, if someone 'changed' from the religion of their parents (whether it be right or wrong) at such an age as young 13, they are doing it more from a sense of "I don't want to go to Church!" and "Stop being so strict with me!" than a sense of "I want to search for the truth!".

This can be illustrated in their faulty reasoning where (even on these forums) they use such arguments as "I don't believe in God because we came from monkeys!", where neither is the connection between believing in God and the idea of evolution logical, as well as the base fact that 'we came from monkeys!' is patently absurd and unscientific- it's more a matter of casually finding reasons for an already decided state (to not believe in God), rather than searching for the truth and rejecting what is false, and then forming an opinion.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Both of my parents were catholics. I was raised catholic til about 13 or 14.. Eventually i just lost interest.

Now i have no religion.

If i had to label myself i would choose agnostic.

Nice threads MIMS...it's interesting

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Neither of my parents are religious and they never pushed me in any particular direction away from religion . I become an Atheist via my own logical and rational thought process. Thats all about there is to it really .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I mean no offence to those who posted in this thread, but to me it seems that generally, in today's world, if someone 'changed' from the religion of their parents (whether it be right or wrong) at such an age as young 13, they are doing it more from a sense of "I don't want to go to Church!" and "Stop being so strict with me!" than a sense of "I want to search for the truth!".
I tend to agree that at such a young age most are preoccupied with other trivial things to want to bother with religion. I myself got fed up with the religious rigmarole and wanted to do other things

This can be illustrated in their faulty reasoning where (even on these forums) they use such arguments as "I don't believe in God because we came from monkeys!", where neither is the connection between believing in God and the idea of evolution logical, as well as the base fact that 'we came from monkeys!' is patently absurd and unscientific- it's more a matter of casually finding reasons for an already decided state (to not believe in God), rather than searching for the truth and rejecting what is false, and then forming an opinion.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by babloyi]
Well I for one don't believe that we evolved from monkeys, a common ancestor yes, but not monkeys or apes. And it was only later in life that became more interested in religions, done a bit of reading and reasoning only to find that religions are not for me nor the concepts or ideals they go by. While now, after more study, I find that my beliefs are more strengthened to the concept of a non-god.

G

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I went to church on Easter and Christmas,a little before the age of 4.
Mainly just to wear our dresses and gloves for those occasions.
We quit going when we moved.
I came to Christianity after trying palm reading, Aleister Crowley and goddess belief at the age of 23.
By myself with no one pushing me.
It has been the greatest thing that ever happened to me!
Jesus has been my Friend and Guide for almost 16 years.

My Mom and Dad actually thought I was a fanatic for many years.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i was reading something from award winning author and scientist richard dawkins, and he brought up an interesting thing that i had taken for granted about relgion

90%+ of all people follow the religion of their parents

You’ve probably heard this objection to the exclusive claims of Christ: "If you grew up in India, you’d be a Hindu.

The assertion is that we only believe what we do because that’s the way we were brought up. This argument commits what is called the genetic fallacy. It tries to explain away a belief or idea based upon its source.

This is NOT so much the belief of our parents as you have already admitted madnessinmysoup that you were raised by religiously oriented parents and to the detriment of your eternal soul, chose to deny the God of your parents Religion. Sad and unfortunate as that may be, it is more the influence of our culture and not so simplistic as either you or the over rated author you hold in such undeserving high esteem Richard Dawkins assumes.

Nor does it lend credence to this telling statement you have made below

Your mind seems to have been the one infected madnessinmysoul. Infected with intolerance for those who have carried on the beliefs of their parents and you deem this irrational not because it is, but merely because you detest Christianity with a religiosity not unlike those you deride with your usual cunning and candor.

How absolutley rational of you

but what is your point?

[edit on 19-10-2008 by MAINTAL]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join