It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Iraq to run security in '07

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
We are there, leaving Iraq in utterly chaos. Apparently, the solution to the problems and grief our coalition forces have to deal with is run and hide.

Staying in Iraq would mean an ongoing pattern of violence and deaths, however, leaving would be taken up as a defeat of'' America the infidel'' among both Iraqi and other terrorists. In addition, it would confirm the report that Iraq made our world less secure and increased the potential threat of more terrorist attacks.

Now we better prepare for the worst, if those forces are really going to leave.

London - Iraqi soldiers and police will be ready to take over security from coalition troops within a year, British junior foreign minister Kim Howells said Saturday.

He told BBC radio that he would be surprised if Iraqi forces had not taken over command by that time.

His comments came as British troops remained on standby to re-enter the southern city of Amara.

Security control was handed over to local forces in August but they have struggled to quell Shiite militia there.

"I would have thought that certainly in a year or so there will be adequately trained Iraqi soldiers and security forces - police men and women and so on - in order to do the job," Howells said.

Source

[edit on 22-10-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The thing is, i believe American troops will be staying longer than us. We are really just trying to find a reason to leave now, and we should take UK troops out straight away.

UK troops will be out by next year, especially after Blair leaves office.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Infinite, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Interviews with several democrats indicate a strong willingness to withdraw US forces from Iraq rather sooner than later. Perhaps they will stay longer, but much longer... I sincerely doubt it.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
My biggest fear would be that the US/UK coalition will be forced to stay there as long as the oil supply is not secure.

After all it was the reason that we went to Iraq in the first place, I would be very surprised if either country pulled out its forces before the oil supply was nailed down and bomb proof.

The main problem with this is that it may never be fully secure, given that pipelines are easy meat to a relatively small number of protagonists with low tech armaments.

Im afraid that there will be more brave squaddies dying before the US/UK oligarchal consortium are satisfied enough to pull out their oil defense forces.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Don't be too sure the British troops will be out within a year. I have it on good knowledge that we will be sending more troops out there in November 06, June/July 06 and November 07.

Almera is going to be the main recipient of these troops because it has all gone ape s**t over there since the British handed over to the Iraqis.

Afghanistan....well thats a different story...................

top topics

join