It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism Linked To Hours Watching TV

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

......i still don't get why the Amish do not suffer from autism at all, quite strange.

Being they keep to themselves, maybe it has to do with blood lines?

Just a thought.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

......i still don't get why the Amish do not suffer from autism at all, quite strange.

Being they keep to themselves, maybe it has to do with blood lines?

Just a thought.

Misfit

Maybe its because they don't take vaccinations like we do, maybe its because they don't eat all the crap in their food like we do, maybe its because they live a better/healthier lifestyle than we do..

I dunno.. I would guess choice 1 tho.. But then again wtf do I know right...

That last line wasn't directed at anyone particular, I am just so sick of things that people say.

Thermasol doesn't cause autism. altho the person who said it was the greatest thing next to sex, tested it out on a few people. Ironically the people they tested it on ended up dead.. I know... it was the food they ate or something.. Regardless people need to learn to face facts, you actually think the government and medical people really give a rats ass how healthy you are..

Think about it for a minute..

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Thanx a lot, very informative: up: however, i still don't get why the Amish do not suffer from autism at all, quite strange.

I had never heard this until now ... so I had to go poke my nose around and see what I could dig up.

First off there has never been a scientific study of the Amish and their rate of
Autism ... I'm sure they wouldn't allow one if they considered it too invasive to their privacy. Every place I look that says there are no autistic Amish folk are all based on a article written by Dan Olmsted, a reporter. Here's an excerpt from his article:

So far, from sources inside and outside the Amish community, I have identified three Amish residents of Lancaster County who apparently have full-syndrome autism, all of them children.

A local woman told me there is one classroom with about 30 "special-needs" Amish children. In that classroom, there is one autistic Amish child.

Another autistic Amish child does not go to school.

The third is that woman's pre-school-age daughter.

If there were more, she said, she would know it.

Dan Olmsted's Amish Article link

This method of "collecting" data can in no way be deemed accurate. He's not a doctor, therefore technically not able to diagnose autism, and he's relying on 2nd or 3rd hand diagnosis of autism to determine there are insufficient numbers. Maybe they do have less than the rest of the population but we can't suppose that from this reporters account. He also only took into account the Amish of Lancaster county in Pennsylvania.

Also his estimate that there should be 50+ full autistic and 100+ autistic children in Lancaster county amish country alone seems relatively high. He bases this on the fact that currently 1 in 166 children are diagnosed with autism. He then took the current Amish population in Lancaster and divided it by 166 ... coming up with a 100+ number. That sounds reasonable but doesn't actually fit the overall statistics. I'll explain why below.

There are an estimated 225,000 Americans that are autistic (Fighting Autism.org), out of a total US population of 300 mil that represents 0.00075% of total population. The total Amish communities across the states are approximately 198,000 (Amish Population) ... if we extrapolate the same percentage from the Amish it would equate to 148 individuals, across the entire US not just in the one county. If we used the same logic to determine that 1 in 166 were autistic that would mean there would currently be 1.8 million austic americans (a stark contrast to the 225K estimated).

Given the Amish community's propensity for being seperated from the current world it would not be surprising that we do not see their few autistic children. There could be other factors at play that make them leave those children at home and not discuss them. An factual study would have to be conducted to determine whether or not they are affected by autism at the same or similar rates to the general population.

------------------------

As far as the TV issue ... the main topic of this thread ... I wonder if the correlation is more of a result of being autistic rather than a cause. Since autistic children are very "seperate" from the rest of the world and exist in their own little place ... I wonder if they have a tendency to be more willing to sit and stare at a tv. I doubt they are paying much attention to the TV rather than just staring at it ... the tv has way too much stimuli for an autistic child ... but they have a great ability to tune out the world. The few autistic children I have known could spend hours looking at a pattern or design that for some reason captivated them ... they can get so absorbed into it that they can literaly scream, kick and fight if you try to get them to do so much as move to another room.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
..Being they keep to themselves, maybe it has to do with blood lines?

but wouldn't that mean that they are pretty much the only exception? how probable is that? the Amish weren't conceived from thin air, they once emerged from the rest of the population.

If they were the ONLY ones suffereing from autism, your explanation would look infintely more plausible.

regarding credibility, i admit there are problems, namely a high 'background noise' through inbreeding, apprently, see f-ex. www.cbsnews.com... now tge question is whether autism can be mistaken for something else... the hypothesis that the amish just got lucky and lost their autistic genes is nice but not conclusive without a proof (ie. finding the genes - likewise, the connection to vaccines remains to be proven), especially considering that they do accept converts, even though they are quite rare.

if i take the wired news article for granted and assume that geeks mating geeks is the culprit, then mating preference (which is certainly different in their society without modern technology) would play a role. that's a bit hard to swallow for now, though.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is so wrong!! My son has autism and did not watch much TV. I have had him tested and his mercury levels (he received through vaccines) were sky high. We are in the process of having the mercury removed from his body through chelation and he is improving.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
big pharma is good its not thermasol. take your shots. blame the tv it causes all your problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join