It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do animals go to heaven?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Theologically, it depends on which religion and sect you belong to.

There's no formal Christian literature on this, though one of the most notable Catholic saints (St. Francis) treated animals as though this were true. Protestant sects vary in beliefs (and it varies among parishioners.) In general, most tend to think that our domestic pets go to heaven... but not, perhaps, the chicken we ate for dinner.

To Native Americans, every living animal has a soul (this is actually a shamanistic belief). To African groups that have not adopted a Christian religion, every animal has a soul. To Buddhists and Hindus, all animals have souls... and so do plants.

What this implies is a different way of behaving towards other life forms here on the planet -- being more ethical, and treating them with more consideration. There are apology rituals for animals that are slaughtered for food and some Buddhist sects try to avoid harming earthworms and insects. Agnostic and athiest beliefs are all over the map -- in general, if one of those groups believes that they possess a "soul" then they also believe that animals possess souls.

Judaism has more traditions of "animals having souls"... Islam sides more with some of the stricter Christian sects and does not generally hold that animals have souls.

So the traditions vary. Personally, I think that they do... as do all living things.

We eat a lot of seafood and fish in this household.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have always loved and cared for my pets
Im sorry to hear about your dog

Heres a little thought I have had about my pets..
That in one life, I was once their pet.. And with the flow of life, now we have met agin and its the other way around

I feel that some of our animals can grow a spiritual connection with its life parent.
And this bond binds all energy and all life.. I dont see how people can think animals dont have souls and such.. They are as much a part of us as we are as them.. But thats just my feelings...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It wasn,t a scottish terrier was it?

Of course they go to heaven. If they don,t I,m not going either. I have quite a few pets up there that need walkies

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
being as its to late ot edit my previous post I will just add this ,
Ecclesiastes 3-19-21

19 For that which happens to the sons of men happens to animals. Even one thing happens to them. As the one dies, so the other dies. Yes, they have all one breath; and man has no advantage over the animals: for all is vanity.

20 All go to one place. All are from the dust, and all turn to dust again.

21 Who knows the spirit of man, whether it goes upward, and the spirit of the animal, whether it goes downward to the earth?"

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwatMedic
No, No, and NO.

Animals do not have souls.

Instead of speaking with Preacher "Tom", speak with any Christian Theologian or a Priest who is willing to tell it like it is and not give a candy coated version of things.

Sure we'd all like to think that our loveable pets will zoom off to heaven but unfortunatly they do not have souls.

I am not a scholar or theologian but have asked this question of professors and Priests alike in the past. When not within earshot of doe eyed children or PETA
they gladly will tell you that our furry friends are soul-less.

One Priest quoted me a bunch of scripture regarding it but he also simplified it this way;

God gave us free domain over the animals. This leaves us free to do with them as necessary; ie eat, use to keep warm, test for ebola...whatever. God also states in the Commandments...."Thou Shall not Kill" Why the contradiction? Because animals do no have souls so killing an animal is not in violation of this commandment.

At least that's how it was explained to me as a Catholic.

Now if you arent Christian or Catholic, your clergy might have a different take on it.

I do believe that there would be animals in Heaven if Heaven turns out to be all its cracked up to be, just not the animals we had here. So that means we will all have to housebreak our new pets in Heaven.

I smell...utter.... BULL#. Do you honestly believe that crap?

Who are you to say animals don't have souls. I'm 100% certain they do. You do know that the bible has been edited on countless occasions? I'm sure that "idea" that we are "better" than other animals was simply placed their for our justification & to make us feel better about the measly creatures we are.

Human beings are animals. A different kind, a different species. But animals none the less. There's the plant kingdom & the animal kingdom. I don't think it's necessary to have a "Human Kingdom". You must really love yourself to think up something as stupid as that. And I do not apologize if I've insulted anyone. To make a statement such as above, is insulting one's self.

That idea sounds like ass to me!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join