learn more

Are survivalists as rife in the UK?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by The Todal

Thanks ..but I have worked out the logistics and this is not chest beating! lol.

Should I get an inklng of something then I will be off..and if there is a chance to survive then I will do my best...because at the end of the day with the scenarios you mentioned ...what choice do you have !!

Sorry ...definately not chest beating...just being realistic ...if there is any chance ....you take it !!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just one other point ..should the worst happen no way would anyone south of glasow get get further than glasgow ...but there is a lot of open and in the borders ...May I ask what experience you have in this area...always interested any info !!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by shuck

I can tell you, you wont get further North than Watford or a line drawn east west from that point. If anything should hit the fan, there will probably be an 18hour per day curfew, anyone moving during curfew will be shot.
What experience do I have? OH I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who...........

But I can tell you, you are wasting your time with the Survivalist BS. But its your time to waste, and if it makes you happy fine. But you have a big shock coming, IF the SHTF

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by shuck

Thanks ..but I have worked out the logistics and this is not chest beating! lol.

Should I get an inklng of something then I will be off..and if there is a chance to survive then I will do my best...because at the end of the day with the scenarios you mentioned ...what choice do you have !!

The same as you, NO choice

Sorry ...definately not chest beating...just being realistic ...if there is any chance ....you take it !!

There isnt any chance at all. Should you survive you wont be allowed to move anywhere. If you havent realised that then you havent even realised the big plan.

I would give any 'survialist' in this country 2 months to live, less in winter.
Thats living wholely off the land.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I have never been to the UK so I can't really speak of the differences I can however speak to my own choices of preparedness.
I have enough stored food and water to get the wife and I to safety
we could survive quite well even in the wild with all the caves and natural shelters available in our area..

In the event that there is anyone left to communicate with I am a ham operator and have a ham radio and solar setup ready to go for this event also it is lightweight and doesn't really take up much room in a pack.

as far as an arsenal goes I don't really have one
I have a 22 cal Air rifle and a .22 cal marlin model 60 rimfire rifle I am a decent shot with both but best with the marlin I keep about 500 rounds on hand but only cause I like to plinking with my Dad on the weekends I do replace the rounds on the way home when I use them.

My reasons for the marlin rifle are many but to name a few
the ammo is light and easily carried
the gun is durable and accurate
the parts to rebuild are cheap and light and it doesn't take gunsmithing tools to replace any of the parts..
it may not be something you want to try and stop and attacker with but with 500 rounds my chances of getting a meal increase drastically and I mentioned in another post almost every gun owner here in the states has a .22 LR of one kind or another..

I don't need no stinking assault rifle the ammo is heavy and I would rather carry food..

just kidding on the stinking part they are fun to shoot but a burden in an emergency..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Er Todal, if you have no interest in the subject then why post? If you think that the survivalist mindset is all "just BS" then why are you scouring the survival forum?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I live a lot further north than Watford...and thankyou! I am quite happy wasting my time ..it makes me very happy...lol

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
And Todal ...you never know ...I just might survive...but you won't !!

I am trying to ensure I have a chance !!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Er Todal, if you have no interest in the subject then why post? If you think that the survivalist mindset is all "just BS" then why are you scouring the survival forum?

Because, as I said. Its the funniest thread on ATS, or do I have to ask your permission to post?

I was posting in direct reply to another post and outlining a FEW of the problems any 'survivalist' would face.

The Title of this thread is 'Survival » Are survivalists as rife in the UK'
The answer is no.
Survivalism in the UK other than a meagre few simply isnt possible.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I am not jumping on the bashing train so please don't think that I am just curious about your stance on people having a chance to survive

you state that citizens of the U.K. that are preparing for survival have no chance of surviving at all I am just curious as a citizen of the U.S.A how you got to that conclusion (i've never been to the U.K. so I don't know) I am under the guise that no matter where you are someone always survives and those that are prepared have a better chance if this sounds like a dumb question I am sorry but I would just like to no what grounds you based your opinion on.

Thanks in advance
Respectfully
GEO

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Todal

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Because, as I said. Its the funniest thread on ATS, or do I have to ask your permission to post?

Not at al, but if it makes you feel better then be my guest

And if you think this thread is funnier than the "Brain Control Monkey" or the "Indigo Child" one then you need to have a chat with yourself.

The Title of this thread is 'Survival » Are survivalists as rife in the UK'
The answer is no.
Survivalism in the UK other than a meagre few simply isnt possible.

That is your opinion which you are entitled to. I have personally seen how populations cope when governments collapse. To state that people "probably wouldn't last 2 months" is a bit nieve. Quality of life is a bit sh1t, but it is there.

Granted people have rose tinted glasses on when they think of how they would get by, but you underestimate what a bit of training and the right mindset can achieve. There is a difference between being comfortable and surviving. For the first few weeks life would be pretty low, but people survive.

The situation you describe is only one of many scenarios that can precipitate the need for some basic survival skills. Shooting someone down because they want to develop some skills that they may or may not need in the future is a bit childish, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

reply to post by PaddyInf

Aye !! lol he is entitled to his opinion...lol

At the end of the day yes there will be a lot of crap ..but the better prepared you are the more chance you have...I will not curl up and die!!

You seem to have some knowledge of what might happen...are you one of them that curl up and die !! because doing something is too risky!!??

just one point ...I have been trained to survive in a chemical, nuclear and biological environment and also have some knowledge of the implications ...the chances aren't good ...but it can be survived ...anyway thats the worst scenario... chances are crap ...but will have a bloody good try anyway !!lol

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Todal

I love this thread. Funniest thing on ATS. All this chest beating, sweaty, back to basics people.....Troll, dribble,..nukes...horses..Ray Mears...Rape..Curfew.. More dribble..etc
..Enough of the macho chestbeating eh ? You havent even started working out the logistics.

First of all,forgive the paraphrasing as I really couldn't be bothered to answer your 'points' individually

You sound like a perfect of example someone who wouldn't survive a playstation breakdown,let alone a major 'situation'.

Now assuming you ARE actually interested in the topic let me give you a few pointers ...

1)Survivalism is greatly dependent upon ATTITUDE..The will to survive is paramount...

2)PREPARATION is crucial.. A lot of guys here DO sound ready and prepared.
You are basing quite a lot of arguments about escaping TO your place of safety AFTER the event has occurred..WAY TO THINK AHEAD!!.

3)KNOWLEDGE is a powerful tool.. You give an example of surviving on Rabbits.. This is quite comical,You obviously haven't heard of 'Rabbit starvation' (They do not contain enough vitamins to 'survive on')..

4)UK has a naturally habitable climate and terrain.
It is neither frozen,desolate or arid. If you can't survive here then you probably wouldn't stand a chance anywhere else.
Surrounded by water for fishing.
Numerous lakes and rivers for water.
No seriously poisonous animals or creepies.
Never more than a few hundred yards away from scores of edible plants and insects..

So in conclusion to your little 'presentation' and the original OP question..
No!! Survivalism isn't as rife in the UK as the US.
Due to many people suffering from apathy and addiction to luxury.

Imagine if the original settlers quit discovering the wild west because THEIR bums hurt from saddle sore.
That's got to be the saddest points I've ever heard.

(Runs away beating his chest to fight Ray Mears for the last piece of maggot,nettle and berry souffle)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Thankyou Aget T

Really amazes me sometimes the posts on this site ...some people come on and spout their opinions against something ......and assume their audience know bugger all...still makes interesting reading !!lol

By all means be the devils advocate...but never rubbish something you know little about ...there is always something to learn !!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

No problems.

In this particular topic it's a fool who thinks they have learned all there is to learn.

Ray Mears was mentioned.. I love this guy because he's the total OPPOSITE to the 'chest beating type'.
His 'stoutness' PROVES you don't have to be a physical Adonis too.
(Wouldn't mess with him coz he's quite adept at Judo though.)

There are many survival 'scenarios' and with that,of course,goes varying degrees of difficulty for survival.
Not all of them require curfews,military presence or nukes.
It could be a simple as a storm/flood to put your preparedness to the test.

I was stranded on a trip to Aberdeen in a blizzard,Almost drowned on a windsurfing day out in the big storms of 89,broke my neck in a desert (quad bike accident) and fairly recently an appartment fire (stuck 4th floor.)
All of them different survival situations with different problems to overcome..

And I'm still sat here typing. WOOHOO!!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Agent T

Like you said...its the attititude ... I always believe no little survival skill learn't is lost...be it in the city or out of it!! ...and one thing that I feel is very important...at least you have learn't some skills to help protect those you love!! imagine it must be bad if you are stuck in a situation with wife and kids ...and you haven't a clue!! that sort curl up and die ...

see this survival thing ....its not just about one person...its also about the ones you can help too...the skills you learn can be useful in many situations!!

A good one is first aid...like how many on this site have a clue about first aid....but its a survival area of knowledge ...yet applies to the day to day !!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There are a lot of survivalists in the UK, most of us just don't make a song and dance about it, also our government and LEO's don't tend to demonize us for our chosen activities, Bows and Crossbows have never really come into the public eye as gang weapons so the fact that we have them isn't a big deal, the ubiquitous Land rover defender can be owned and stocked without a 2nd glance (even the eco-mentalists leave us alone), emergency food and water is easily obtained, and other than in london most people can get into a rural area pretty quickly.

A low profile is always better IMO

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
You think the # is going to hit the fan, I think anyone who thinks that is totally paranoid which is why they feel the need to have a stock of guns and food to make them feel safe.

This is an excellent demonstration of WHY we Brits are less interested in survival preparation - because we're just too comfortable, conservative and complacent. Britain is one of, if not the most stable country in the world over the last 100 years and really, it's quite a mundane country to live in. We have mild weather and infrequent natural disasters (and even then, they're not real disasters on the grand scale of things). We are led to believe that the only thing we have to worry about here is a world war and most people are so arrogant that they actually don't believe we could ever engage in another one of those.

'Survivalism and preparation are for crazy people! We Brits are far too smart and dignifed for that'

...supposedly.

Americans have a long-standing relationship with firearms and camping - far more so than most of Europe, especially Britain. The English Scouts have become more of a traditional institution than an actual survival training group. In short, we've been here for thousands of years and we've become as comfortable as one would in a home their ancestors have owned for generations. In contrast, the land of America is relatively new to the European stock, and it seems like the population are more independent - perhaps because it's not their ancestral home*.

* Note here I'm referring to the majority of Americans who are of European descent.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by Cythraul]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
ok to all those people who have said that there isnt the same amount of survivalists here in the UK as opposed to the USA.

i disagree, a good friend of mine runs an ex mil supply shop in Lincolnshire.
he is currently VERY busy shipping goods to all over the British Isles. he has never seen it so busy in fact.

i think it is a matter of perception, here in the UK we dont make a big song and dance in publc about our survivalist plans....that does not mean that we dont have any ...

even myself..i have a kit in our cellar and another at a rural location....it has been there since 1973, since our late grandfather decided to be prepared...i am personally glad he had the foresight to be pro-active rather than sitting on one`s backside and giving up !!

just my opinion

snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Because were out surviving.
When i was 14 i slept on the streets for fun, slept in fields and baisicly lived off the land.
Grow all our own veg, we just get on with it, we dont post about it on forums, im only doing this now, because im interested in what these forums have!

Im 16 now, not as intelligent as the rest of you on this forum.
But i prefer to do things, rather than sit/stand around talking about it all day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join