It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of Ever-Burning Lamps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think this is astonishing. I was just reading about the mysterious ever-burning lamps.
What I find extraordinary is that in some cases this light couldn't be extinguished by wind or water. Perpetual light in antiquity, a really interesting subject.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
what I find astonishing is that despite this authors claim that hundreds of ever burning lamps were found there is not one example in any museum on earth
I think thats rather telling
having then looked to see what other articles the author had written I came across this list
The Stargate of the Alien Gods
Christianity, Jesus and the Pagan Connection
Alien Gods and Magic in Ireland
When the Alien Gods Fled the Earth
Man Before Adam In Britain
When Will the World End - 2012?
Genetic Engineering In Ancient Times
Giants - A Result of Genetic Warfare

personally i decided the amount of credence to put in this womans writings around this point
you should to

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well, some like it, some don't. I think it's great

Anyway, I have heard an ever-burning lamp is actually in a museum in Netherland. Can't remember where, perhaps anyone knows?

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
well in ancient china they didn't know about these ever burning lamps
legends about Emperor Qin tomb said that it would be lit by lamps for all eternity
when it was excavated it turned out it was lit by lamps fueled by whale oil
www.travelchinaguide.com...

in ancient Sumer the lamps were sea shell shaped and also filled with whale oil
these lamps because of their extremely high quality and expensive fuel and slow burning nature are responsible for the later derivation of magical lamps that trot out in pantomimes every christmas

In ancient egypt the lamps were filled with either animal fat or olive oil mixed with a little salt to cause them to burn with less smoke. a fact that has led many to claim that they used electricity in their tombs because of a lack of soot on the ceilings.

there is a possibility that phosphorus oil used in a lamp which then sealed in a tomb would use all the oxygen and then being chemically that way inclined would extinguish and then reignite at the introduction of fresh air
but thats using modern theory to answer a question which really has no evidence supporting it.

personally I think maybe the Author of the original article had just watched Aladdin a few too many times
clearly shes been watching sci fi when she wrote her other articles

I have heard an ever-burning lamp is actually in a museum in Netherland. Can't remember where, perhaps anyone knows?

Numa Pompilius, King of Rome, who certainly experimented with the natural electricity of the clouds, built a Temple to the Nymph Egeria, and made in it a spherical dome, in which he caused to burn a Perpetual Flame of Fire in her honour; but in what manner this flame was produced we have no knowledge. Nathan Bailey, in his "Brittanic Dictionary," 1736, remarks that in the Museum of Rarities at Leyden, in Holland, there were two of these lamps, only partially destroyed.
www.alchemywebsite.com...

[edit on 21-10-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thank you for the links. Personally, I like this author and I think her work is great, but it's for the open-minded of course. The Rosicrucians were also familiar with eternal light. Well, since the ancients were most likely familiar with electricity, perhaps they did discover the secret of eternal light. Who knows?
These lamps were discovered in various parts of the world. Here is a little more about ever-burning lamps.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

but it's for the open-minded of course.

imo its only for the truly open minded whos brains have fallen out and who read books without checking the facts because they have already formed a belief based on their intuitions before they have looked at credible evidence
your link was to something written by Madame Blavatsky over 100 years ago
most if not all of it has since been proved fraudulent
she paved the way for other fraudulent mediums who still now are championed by the ahem aforementioned "open minded"
she was debunked herself by the Society for Psychical Research (SPR) in 1884.
en.wikipedia.org...

Hodgson wrote a 200-pages report, in which Blavatsky was described as one of the most gifted, ingenious and interesting impostors in history

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Actually, I do not care much for Blavatsky myself. I posted that link because the paper mentioned perpetual light. Actually over 150 authors have written about the existence of ever-burning lamps. Among them we find the Rosicrucians and H.P. Manly, as well as many others.
So just because I believe in advanced ancient technology my "brains have fallen out" according to you. Then a number of people must have lost their mind.
Seems to me you are the one who have already formed an opinion without checking the facts.
If you don't like something than just leave it and let others pursue what they find interesting.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The thing is though even if you dont agree with the authors view it doesnt detract from the fact that these lamps have been supposedly found and moreso historically documented. The fact also that there are two of these lamps in a museum in Leiden albeit unconfirmed but it wouldnt surprise me as I have been in a few of the museums there and they do have some good stuff - although I dont recollect seeing them.

G

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Seems to me you are the one who have already formed an opinion without checking the facts.

actually I have checked the facts
which is why I am qualified to have an opinion
but I'm interested
what evidence do you base your belief in ancient technology on ?

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well, shihulud I guess in order to find out and see it, I will just have to visit the museum in Leiden

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I expect you'll find it in the Catholic relic section if the museum is still standing.

I have my reasons for suspecting this but as it seems to be a matter of faith to you guys that this myth is true I'll leave you to find out why these lamps were only ever found in the Catholic areas of the middle ages and what connotation this has to the tombs they were claimed to have been found in.
If you want a clue you can go look up Isaiah 60:19 and Isaiah 60:20 and especially Leviticus 6:13
home1.swipnet.se...
I feel this may shed some light on the matter for you (pun intended)
don't forget that the reference is from Nathan Baileys "Brittanic Dictionary," 1736
this was a lexicon that was a forerunner of the great book by Dr Samuel Johnson

thats not ""Edmund: A Butler's Tale." A giant roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in."
but the other one

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I did a little peering into this (because it's odd that I wouldn't have heard of it... the legend transsects many of my interests.) Here's what I found:

The original article is a Rosicrucian compilation, and part of an effort to give the group a mystical and secret "authentic history", explaining why Rosicrucis' teachings didn't show up until 150 years after the man's death.
altreligion.about.com...

The "ever burning lamp of Constantius Chlorus" appears in a spoof (parody) of the archaeological proceedings in the "Mad Magazine" of that era -- the famous publication, Punch.
www.sciper.org...

There are a number of legends about him.
en.wikipedia.org...

There's no Pallas, son of Evander. That's a figure from legend...so there is no tomb:
en.wikipedia.org...(son_of_Evander)

If you track down the other references, you'll find there is no substance to them. They are local legends ... fun to read and meant to impress travelers that the area was something more than a place of pig farms and rustics.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I wonder if the stories of ever burning lamps in ancient times, from that webpage, are actually reports of encouters with zoroastrian sects, who will mainting 'eternal flames', allways protecting the fire, allways feeding it, for generations. I think that the idea is that their great prophet or god created a fire, and they've allways kept it burning.

www.ufoarea.com...
In about 1540, during the Papacy of Paul III a burning lamp was found in a tomb on the Appian Way at Rome. The tomb was believed to belong to Tulliola, the daughter of Cicero. She died in 44 B.C. The lamp that had burned in the sealed vault for 1,550 years was extinguished when exposed to the air

We have documents from that time, there's no talk of magic permanently burning lamps and their super-fuels. Also, if it went out when the tomb was opened, how'd anyone know that it was burning? Maybe they found a lamp, were surprised that it didn't look as old as they thought it would, and figured it was magic.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I wonder if the stories of ever burning lamps in ancient times, from that webpage, are actually reports of encouters with zoroastrian sects, who will mainting 'eternal flames', allways protecting the fire, allways feeding it, for generations. I think that the idea is that their great prophet or god created a fire, and they've allways kept it burning.

Quite possible, though other religions and cultures had this sort of thing as well. Lamps in temples were never allowed to go out in many religions (though they were always filled with oil as needed.)

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Its a religious tradition
God is the light that will never be extinguished
you can't narrow it down to one culture as they were all at it
thats why the erroneous catholic mythology always associates tombs of saints having an everlasting lamp inside them when they are opened centuries later
of course if these people had faith they wouldn't really need to go spreading this kind of rubbish about themselves anyway
keep up the constant miracles and the flock is happy theyre not slaves
they continue to think there will be some reward in a magical place in the sky when they die
people should read more religious history
its fairly obvious when you get into it
ask a psycologist

Body count for the catholics last time I checked stood somewhere around the 500,000,000 heretic mark
they don't seem to mention it much though do they

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It's all in the interpretation of things. If a lamp or lamps were fueled from a huge resevoir of whale oil, petroleum or anything flamable they would be eternal in the relative sense for all intent and purpose. A burning torch fueled from a 1000 gallon tank found 100 years later would be pretty amazing. There is no account I have ever read that alluded to anything other than a flamable fuel source to perpetuate a torch or lamp burning. Remember a "lamp" wasn't electric as we'd assume today.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
in case you guys of faith haven't worked it out yet the original eternal flame/lamp/light is God
this is of course back in the days when everyone on earth no matter what culture worshipped a sun God
to check this you can go outside at sun up tomorrow and answer this question
1) can you see anything

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Here are some sources for eternal lamps I have:

Numa Pompilius, 2nd ruler of Rome, it was said, had a perpetual light shing in the dome of his temple

Plutrch wrote of a lamp which burned at the entrance of the temple of Jupiter-Ammon which the priests claimed had burned for centuries.

Lucian the Greek satirist, A.D. 200-180, gave an account of a shining jewel in the head of a statue of the goddess Hera in Herapolsi, Syria that illuminated the entire temple at night. In the same locale the temple of Hadad or Jupiter in Baalbek had glowing stone to illuminate it.

Pausanius in the 2nd century A.D. described a golden lamp in the temple of Minerva that could burn for a year at a time.

St. Augustine, A.D. 354-430, described a temple to Isis in Egypt that neight wind nor water could extinguish.

During the reign of Justinian of Byzantium, 6th century A.D., a lamp found at Antioch contained an inscription that led discoverers to believe it had burned for 500 years.

During the Middle Ages in England a lamp inscribes as dating to several hundred years earlier was found.

When the tomb of Pallas, son of Evander, made famous in Aeneid by Virgil, was opened near Rome in 1401 a lantern was burning that must have been lit for 2,000 years.

A casket of a young patrician woman undecomposed and life like was found on the Via Appia near rome in 1485. A lighted lamp found when the mausoleum was entered had burned for 1500 years.

The Jseuit Kircher in his workOedipus Aegyptiacus in Rome 1652 referred to lit lamps found in the subterrenean vaults of Memphis.

Others are described from travelers to Tibet, New Guinea and the jungles of South America.

In the texts of India numerous perpetual lamps are described as well as a the instructions of how to make an electrical battery in the Agastya Samhita in the library of Ujjain.

Some of the above were found in these:

Burgess, E.
Surya Siddhantra
NYC, 1948

Clagget, M.
Science in Greek Antiquity
Abelard-Schuman, NY, 1955

Cooper, G.
Dead Cities & Forgotten Tribes
Philosophical Library Inc., NY, 1952

Cotterell, L.,
Wonders of Antiquity
Longmanns, London, 1959

Narasimhan, C.V. English Translation
The Mahabharata
Chandra Roy, Calcuta, 1949

Sarton, G.
Ancient Science & Modern Civilization
University of Nebraska, 1954

Seal, B.
Positive Sciences of the Ancient Hindus
Longmans Green, London, 1915

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
were you incapable of reading the former posts that already supplied that information
or the conclusions reached that totally discounted them all
or is it that you just can't beleive the truth when its given you on a plate

[edit on 25-10-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thanks Cruizer! I haven't read about some of the ancient findings you mentioned. I was looking for information on the ones found in India, China America and Egypt.

I read that over 170 individuals wrote about these lamps.

Among the many well-known personages who firmly believed and strenuously asserted that such sepulchral lamps burned for several hundred years, and would have continued to burn may be forever, had they not been extinguished, or the vessels broken by some accident, we may reckon the following names:

Clemens Alexandrius, Hermolaus Barbarus, Appian, Burattinus, Citesias, Coelius, Foxius, Costaeus, Casalius, Cedrenus, Delrius, Ericius, Gesnerus, Jacobonus, Leander, Libiavius, Lazius, P. della Mirandola, Philalethes, Licetus, Maiolus, Maturantius, Baptista Porta, Pancirollus, Ruscellius, Scardeonius, Lucovicus Vives, Volateranus, Paracelsus, several Arabian alchemists, and finally, Pliny, Solinus, Kircher, and Albertus Magnus.

When a lamp was found it was destroyed because it was considered "a work of the devil".

[edit on 25-10-2006 by Patrick_D]

[edit on 25-10-2006 by Patrick_D]

new topics

top topics

join