It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


How To Copyright A Song?

page: 1

log in


posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 09:34 AM

I am wondering if anyone knows how to go about copyrighting ones own song, both lyrics and composition. Bare in mind - money is scarce.

We want to get an original out, both demo CD and Internet, just to be heard, but I don't want the song in any way comprimised. I have heard tales of "put the lyrics and songsheet on paper and mail it to yourself, never opening it", among others.

Does anyone have experience with this? Again, money is a factor - in the sense we don't have any, lol.



posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 12:27 PM
Everything you write that is your own creation and not made for hire is automatically copyrighted to you.

However, in the U.S., you need to register your work with the copyright office in order to sue someone for penalty monetary damages if someone violates your copyright.

For more info see:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:17 AM
don't bank on this but my dad is a country music writer, and in a pinch I remember him mailing a copy of the song to his own address and leaving it sealed when it arrived. Proof positive that the song was created by him and time stamped as well.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:57 AM
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Wow! I would have never of thought of that idea.
It is something I've never looked into, but it seems the
Copyright rules seem vague, but I assume they're set out
so that folk don't get ripped off.
However, as said above, these rights may differ from country
to country.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:15 AM
Here in Canada we have a place that you can copywrite your songs.
Theres a small fee but thats fine.
You have to have it either on paper or recorded.

heres a link and good luck.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
All my stuff is copyrighted. It used to be ok to mail things to yourself, but that no longer holds up in court.

It is important to know what a copyright does for you, especially musically. If you send a song into the Library of Congress, that song is copyrighted. That means that you can argue against any recreation of the song or sale of the song outside your own jurisdiction.

HOWEVER. That does not necessarily copyright all the words or the composition itself. Now, if someone is blatantly ripping you off, that's one thing, but other than that, the statute of limitations is pretty broad based. Having said that, if someone wants to use a line in my lyrics, I wouldn't mind much anyway. Again, unless it is blatant, you won't be able to do anything.

Anyway, go to the LOC website and pay the 45 bucks to get all the songs you have copyrighted. Call it an album, that way you can lump them all together and pay the same price.

If you want the words and composition copyrighted separately, well that's a whole other cost for a totally different copyright, and will run you a ton more money.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:14 PM
Why not use Creative Commons and specify fair terms under which others can use your work. It's free.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by quackers]

new topics

top topics


log in